advertisement

New naim vs old?

For me the Naim ‘Olive’ and new ‘Black box’ series have different sound signatures. Olive is brighter and a little more revealing, but can sound harsh to some and doesn’t do bad recordings any favours. Black box is more rounded, but maybe lacking that top end buried detail, but is also a little more forgiving to poor production.

For me the Naim ‘Olive’ and new ‘Black box’ series have different sound signatures. Olive is brighter and a little more revealing, but can sound harsh to some and doesn’t do bad recordings any favours. Black box is more rounded, but maybe lacking that top end buried detail, but is also a little more forgiving to poor production.
Perfectly summed up

I just replaced an olive xps with a xps dr for my cds2.
Rest of all Olive is : cds2/01/52/supercap/135s.
A very significant upgrade. Better than I expected.
Maybe my olive xps was in need of a service. It last had full service 8 yrs ago
Very pleased. Speakers : kudos Titan T88s
David

Wouldn't argue with that. I'm one of the people who thinks olive Naim is nasty.

I bet there are thousands of people who aren’t on forums, own Naim, and haven’t changed boxes for twenty years plus.

It's a fallacy; sure, there are plenty of well off peeps on the Naim Forum that fill that particular niche, but as you say, I've got Naim boxes from the 80's, the cost of the new stuff being a bit of a disincentive!

Old and New Naim sound quite different IMO, and having done numerous comparisons between the two when I 'came back' to Naim some years back, without exception, I preferred Olive - put simply, I find it more musical and less Hi-Fi sounding, and I've never heard it sounding bright, hard, let alone nasty (yes, my hearing's fine, thanks! ;)) . Others, clearly, disagree, which shows, yet again, that only the individual can decide what's right for them.

In the OP's case, I'd be trying some other sources (If improved musical performance is the goal, rather than a current lack of power being the 'problem'), to see if he finds much/any difference between them, and then look to amps and/or speakers if necessary.

As for Olive Naim pre/power recommendations for an initial trial, I'd say 72/140 (if you can live without RC, and no need for a Hi-Cap :)) or 102/140 or 180, if RC is a must.

In terms of power amps, a 250 is much better than 140/180, IMO, but this requires a pre-amp PSU; however, there are some who prefer the non-regulated amps, so another case of trying for yourself and finding out which, if any, you prefer.

As for 'Olive 160s', IIRC, Naim did offer 'conversion kits' (I'm going to regret using that term, I'm sure... :rolleyes:) or some such for some CB boxes?

once again no remote control with the NAC72, which bugs me (personal grievance with my existing Nait 3)

NAC72 and a 250 looks like a good combo, I dont have a massive room so how about the nap140?

Also any thoughts on the newer supernait 1 or nait xs 1?

FWIW, I preferred a Nait 3 to a Supernait.

I bet there are thousands of people who aren’t on forums, own Naim, and haven’t changed boxes for twenty years plus.
Yes. I had 32.5/HC/250 for 20+ years. Then I joined the Naim forum. I blame the internet for all my sonic waste and angst but thank it for bringing me eventually to where I am now.

The Classic range (existing) have a slightly softer (easier on the ear) sound than the previous Olive and Chrome ranges. They all have a similar 'house' sound, so as you are such a fan of your existing amp, you will likely be happy the further up the range you go.

If I had to generalise, and I think it is dangerous to do so, I would say the newer you go the more "HiFi" the sound, more detailed, less warmth, less of the music as a whole big bouncy thing. I suspect that if, for example, you really like what a Chrome Bumper NAP160 does, you really will not just get more of this the newer and further up the tree you go. There was grumbling back in the move to Olive from CB that something was "lost" in the process, I think there are a number of eras to consider, each may or may not take your fancy, the original bolt downs, the Chrome Bumper, the Olive, the Classics, DR ... sure there is the same underlying design and similarlity, equally there is no agreement in my mind that there is a progression everybody enjoys through these eras.

Just ignore that term and read past it :).

Words attempting to share subjective and personal opinion are always best to be taken lightly IMHO, perhaps my words doubley so. I was trying to help, but if it doesn't work for you, ignore me, I'm happy with that too.

Old Naim has great character whatever you think of it. The problem I have with new Naim is to me it sounds much the same as umpteen others, most of them far cheaper.

A fresh serviced Nait 3 is just fine.
OP risk loosing money if selling
Better find other duties or keep as spare.

As long as speakers are a good match, not a very hard load, in-effective etc. a Nait will often be a good solution if the sound float your boat.

Next step could be a 102/180
Around same era as Nait 3 and the seperates similar 92/90.3 amp.
PSU such as Napsc and Hicap
Service the kit and OP is way up the ladder.

No idea what source and speakers intended, but some mediocre to budget sources can end as horrible if a very revealing amp is inserted.

I have used various Naim items for decades, CB, Olive, Black, even BD.
Most were great but with differences.
If OP is satisfied with his Nait, then try whatever available within budget, sometime its free hi-fi due to good resell value.

I would however avoid those individual items which is not serviceable, not knowing a full list of these but old CD players of course and perhaps the original NAC 112 ?

Swapped out
Naim 32.5 and HiCap
135 Monos
for Chord CPM2600 integrated
Difficult to hear the difference. Think the Chord had it
Sold the Naim gear for more than the Chord

CDX at the time into Isobariks

Just ignore that term and read past it :).

Words attempting to share subjective and personal opinion are always best to be taken lightly IMHO, perhaps my words doubley so. I was trying to help, but if it doesn't work for you, ignore me, I'm happy with that too.

No problem. I owned Naim at one point, starting with a 90/92 combo and ending with the 82/180, all Olive. I liked it and it was so well built but I was always dissatisfied with it's rendering of Classical and Jazz. I think it's great with certain music but limited in it's ability to be successful with other. It has a certain signature and I wanted something that could play all music at least well. I don't believe there is a hi-fi sound. I think there are different signatures and abilities. My new amp doesn't have the drive of the Naim but listening to my favoured music is more satisfying.

advertisement

Back