advertisement

New naim vs old?

MrDTuk

pfm Member
So I currently have a Nait 3 from 96. It’s been back to naim for a full re-cap last year. I love it and I’m considering an upgrade to higher spec naim gear. Like a separate pre / power plus a power supplies (funds depending).

would love to know what people’s thoughts are on the newer naim amps vs the 90s gear? Like Nait 3 vs Nait 5si?

and while we are on this will the Powers sound different? Or just the pre-amps? Should we assume the power supplies are just better the newer they are??

Responses appreciated...

Not a massive difference imho, I would aim for a 72, hi-cap & nap 250. Should be able to pick that combo up for circa £1500 & probably the sweet spot. I have a 252/s-cap, 250 a great but rather costly set up.

+1 for the 72/Hicap/250, can’t be disappointed.

Good info. Cheers all.
I wasn’t specifically thinking of going for a Nait 5 but I was interested in if the sound characteristics has changed over the years.
Some have suggested that the old equipment had a different sound to the newer generation.
Has anybody tried the newer Nait Xs for example?

Older stuff IMO is less versatile with music. I found it great with electronic and rock and fine with acoustic or small scale jazz/quartets etc. With orchestral it could sound hard, unrelenting and constricted. I've heard more recent Naim and the sound appeared more forgiving. I think it really depends what you listen to.

once again no remote control with the NAC72, which bugs me (personal grievance with my existing Nait 3)

NAC72 and a 250 looks like a good combo, I dont have a massive room so how about the nap140?

Also any thoughts on the newer supernait 1 or nait xs 1?

once again no remote control with the NAC72, which bugs me (personal grievance with my existing Nait 3)

NAC72 and a 250 looks like a good combo, I dont have a massive room so how about the nap140?

Also any thoughts on the newer supernait 1 or nait xs 1?

One of the joys of the 72 is that it is very easy to upgrade because of the nature of the build, it is a mother board with a series of daughter boards. You just open it up, slide out daughter boards and slide in upgrades. RSL do a nice upgrade called MagicPower that lifts the performace and can provide remote control. While you may well not want to do this immediately, it is open to you in the fullness of time, resolving the issue with a lack of remote control. I would enjoy the 72 for a while then ask @RyanSoundLab to try the loaner set of MagicPower cards which has the remote control, see if you like what it does, then upgrade at a later time when you are happy it does what you like. Well it is what I did. :)

I agree with nobeone, good advice indeed, there are plenty of 'aftermarket' daughter boards to choose from too :)

For what it's worth I also have to agree the with many others here the 72/Hicap/250 really is a superb combo but if rack space really is at a premium the 140 is still a very compentent power amp and certainly no slouch.

good suggestions / thoughts,
i'm certainly not short on rack space - more short on room space as my listening room is my converted garage and hence its 7x13 feet.
And as its a small room i wonder if i need mega power... like the nap250, but no doubt its the best sound.

good suggestions / thoughts,
i'm certainly not short on rack space - more short on room space as my listening room is my converted garage and hence its 7x13 feet.
And as its a small room i wonder if i need mega power... like the nap250, but no doubt its the best sound.

Ahem, well JV reportedly preferred the 160 ... if you went Olive you might struggle to get a 160, don't think they made many, if you went Chrome Bumper on the other hand, you might find one sooner!

Good info. Cheers all.
I wasn’t specifically thinking of going for a Nait 5 but I was interested in if the sound characteristics has changed over the years.
Some have suggested that the old equipment had a different sound to the newer generation.
Has anybody tried the newer Nait Xs for example?

Naim discovered stereo in the early 2000s, which marked a pretty fundamental change. Many old school Naimies still have the haunted look of PTSD sufferers. (Post Traumatic Soundstage Disorder).

Turn a chrome bumper case back to front and you have a black front edge.

Doesn't have an illuminated "olive" front panel but looks a bit like the "olive" appearance!

Plus I believe (judging by pfm/ebay adverts) that Naim would sometimes update chrome bumper to "olive" cases if asked during a service.

Hence some chrome bumper models might be remembered as "olive" whilst some genuine chrome bumper era models might now how have "olive" cases!

Confused?

Last edited:
So is a 110 if you don’t ask too much of it.

The 110 and 160 are brilliant amplifiers. I would take a 110 over a 140 any day. Yes, they aren't Olive, but I wouldn't let that put you off.

The 32.5 is very similar to a 72 and that is Chrome Bumper finish. 72 is also good and 102 already has remote function (both are olive).

Factor in a Preamp Power Supply upgrade later down the line once you have enjoyed the pre/power combo. Avondale / Teddy Pardo do alternatives to Naim and are very worthy of consideration.

32.5 /110 is probably my favourite Naim amp, pound for pound and many pounds more. Agree 160 is great too and 180 in the right context.

My most enjoyable Naim combo was a Supercapped 32.5 and a 110 with original AE1s. It shouldn’t have worked but at normal volume it absolutely did.

Has anyone tried mixing an Olive 72 + Hicap with a new 250DR power amp?

Any thoughts as to how this would sound?

advertisement

Back