advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

Agree with this. I intend to do a bake-off between Linn Selekt DSM with Organik DAC and the new Naim NSC222 (?) - currently running 272 plus TPXPS. I have already tried the DSM with Katalyst - which was excellent but assuming Naim produce something on 4 Jan it is surely worth listening to..
It all depends upon how much these things cost, at least you should be able to spec a Linn DSM in the same ballpark as the Naim? At least Linn have a track record of regular updates.

I’d like to put a Benchmark Dac against a Linn/Naim at twice the price to see what the extra brings. My theory is we are already at peak resolution in terms of audible improvements.

I would be very surprised if this is replaced any time soon, what I think is on the horizon are amp/streamer combination products like the 272.

.sjb

Hmmm..not so sure. I think there's a major revamp of most models fairly soon. Just take a look at the plethora of ex dem and 'sale' kit at numerous dealers, as well as on ebay and the like. ND5XS2 on its last gasp, certainly. ND5XS3 soon perhaps? 'Classic' line up will all be finished soon (within a year).

Just seen Naim's latest post on their Instagram channel...is it just me or are they implying an active speaker is on its way?

Either way, not long until we find out!

Just seen Naim's latest post on their Instagram channel...is it just me or are they implying an active speaker is on its way?

Has the date of any announcement been made officially? I’ve seen mention of 4 January, but maybe that’s just speculation.

Certainly looks like it, although I can’t imagine how much an active speaker with the statement amps and top-line focal speakers would cost!

I would be very surprised if this is replaced any time soon, what I think is on the horizon are amp/streamer combination products like the 272.

.sjb
Did you end up on the naughty step for that? If I post on the Naim forum at the moment my post has to await approval before it’s allowed since one of my deleted post on the subject of the white logo. I was taking the piss a bit but they’re rather over reacting since letting those leaks escape.

Yes I was on that step, a while back, when a Johnny come lately was spouting all over the place about Naim and Focal and asked me how I knew whatever I was spouting - I replied that I was on the board of Vervent and that’s how I knew.
Amazingly this was taken seriously with even Richard emailing me to ask me if I was on the board. Then my posts we pre-moderated for a period.

.sjb

The new range is to replace the classic range, been told a few weeks back by someone that gets invited down to naim to not only see it, but hear it.
Plus look at all the dealers selling their classic demo kit right now.
Good news is, it sounds very good apparently.

But certainly not a good time to buy say a new 250dr or NDX2 unless it's got a huge discount or you want the classic gear to match

It is very easy to get on the naughty step over there, been there and had to apologise to Victor Meldrew's clone for being a bad boy, I mentioned that I had some gear that I should get around to sell, no prices etc mentioned, a public telling off in the thread and suspended for bad behaviour. At the time I thought, fair enough yet since then a couple of forum members who are favoured have made similar posts without any reaction. The forum was much better when Clare N was involved, she seemed to curtail the overreactions.

I miss Claire as well. She was very level headed. Personally I'm not going to get too excited about the upcoming announcements (My system sounds great as-is). Why the other forum gets so bent out of shape on rumors is beyond me.

I'm not on there any more. Never bothered signing up when the new forum format came about. I do pop by and have a look occasionally (probably less than five visits this year). I always remind myself the forum is there to make you spend money and anything said on there that prevents that'll get pulled.

I miss Claire as well. She was very level headed. Personally I'm not going to get too excited about the upcoming announcements (My system sounds great as-is). Why the other forum gets so bent out of shape on rumors is beyond me.

What happened to her?

It’s strange how we see things differently. I found her contributions irritating, with an awful lot simply being plugging of Naim and Focal, rather than any attempt to assist. Her job focused on marketing, and that’s what she did with a vengeance, and I was glad to see it stop.

It’s strange how we see things differently. I found her contributions irritating, with an awful lot simply being plugging of Naim and Focal, rather than any attempt to assist. Her job focused on marketing, and that’s what she did with a vengeance, and I was glad to see it stop.

Totally fair. She was focused on her job(marketing) which I didn't mind. I gleamed some insight on their future plans etc which was helpful to me.

advertisement

Back