advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

I would hope so - there were only relatively minor changes when they went to the current "classic" look over 20 years ago over the previous olive range. Having 4 different grades of pre-amp and power amp (excluding the Statement) seems very anachronistic these days especially when I suspect that sales volumes fall off massively above Supernait level. I would hope a rationalisation to 3 levels of each and maybe a return to mono-blocks as the top dogs a-la the NAP135's and Exposures current offerings.

If nothing else I'd hope for more output power/current delivery to be able to drive pretty much any speaker adequately and that would then leave the door open to offer a genuine "super" integrated with 150W plus per channel. I've got the impression that in recent iterations of the Supernait that they've had to hold back the output power so as not to trample on the toes of the separates stuff - a bit like Porsche with the Cayman and the 911...

i think the classic range will be smaller than it was before, i think the 222, nap 250 replacement, xps replacement will be one level. then a 333 series pre, psu (supercap), 333 streamer (nds replacement possible?) and the monos. then it will be 500 series, then statement. with a few intergrated amplifiers at the bottom if we lucky. we shall see though mate

the new nap250 is meant to have more power 100wpc so suspect the monos will be more

Owners.
Buy a streamer today and it will depreciate more over time before you sell than most other hifi boxes.

It's a sensible idea in general. Moreover, as HH points out, when the new product has lots of functionality that the old one does not and that many want, the price impact on eBay can be severe.

However, the comments here that this year's changes in second-hand prices are irrelevant to those who aim to own for many more years are surely also fair. After all, the 'before you sell' bit seems to take no account of whether the price drop is amortised over the next week (until we can all see the amazingly better new products) or over the 10-15 years (my likely ownership period).

It is also worth looking at actual second-hand prices. Scanning eBay today suggests strongly that the most severe price drops still appear on loudspeakers (many current models that are just 3 or 4 years old seem bizarrely good value), which is pretty much how it was a decade ago. Surely, speakers are an extreme example of 'mature technology'? In addition, looking at what happened to the prices of (say) a Naim Core suggests that a key factor for depreciation rapidity may be whether the box in question was (a) great value or (b) ridiculously overpriced in the first place.

Strange how hype works…

1. I am not looking for an amp as I am very happy with the little Croft
2. my previous Naim experience was really bland ( demoed at home a 112/150 combo)
3. The psu upgrande mindgames feel predatory
4. The green forum moderation is TIGHT!

but I so want to like the brand and am all excited for jan 4

Strange how hype works…

1. I am not looking for an amp as I am very happy with the little Croft
2. my previous Naim experience was really bland ( demoed at home a 112/150 combo)
3. The psu upgrande mindgames feel predatory
4. The green forum moderation is TIGHT!

but I so want to like the brand and am all excited for jan 4
It baffles me why Naim gets so much attention on here. So many seem to dislike it, and constantly go on about how much, that it gets a profile it probably doesn’t warrant. I’ve owned Naim for nearly 40 years and am very happy with it, but I’d never suggest it’s the best; that would be silly, but it’s well made, works well and is easy to use. There are many many other viable options out there.

I can’t say I’m excited about the new stuff, but it will certainly be interesting to see how Naim address the trend for good sound without the need for endless boxes and wires.

It baffles me why Naim gets so much attention on here. So many seem to dislike it, and constantly go on about how much, that it gets a profile it probably doesn’t warrant. I’ve owned Naim for nearly 40 years and am very happy with it, but I’d never suggest it’s the best; that would be silly, but it’s well made, works well and is easy to use. There are many many other viable options out there.

I can’t say I’m excited about the new stuff, but it will certainly be interesting to see how Naim address the trend for good sound without the need for endless boxes and wires.

it must be because they are so polarizing. Must be doing something right.

Owners.
Buy a streamer today and it will depreciate more over time before you sell than most other hifi boxes.
I’d add “new streamer” to this. Buying an old one circumvents depreciation. You lose out on what I describe as “lifestyle” features but get the benefit of sound quality. Even if it ends up “bricked” due to dropped support, you lose next to nothing compared to the depreciation on a new item.

The olive and silver line stuff was gorgeous, totally functional sharp lines, nice! The stuff after that including my supernait also leaning towards functional and pretty.

The stuff like the nova, not so much and the stuff in those pictures earlier, I am not sure what they are trying to say with it, I know things move on but the dip in the middle looks frankly odd and by the looks of things is plastic, which is unnecessary and a poor choice for longevity, bizzare!

It's just the demographic of this forum, for the most part 60 year old plus English men.
Some of whom, like your good self, have been using Naim for 40 years and happy with it (as long as the keep upgrading) and then there's the rest who chose different equipment. I guess some of these folks actually don't like Naim equipment.

There is a difference between simply not liking something, which is fair enough, and using every opportunity to slag something off in often extreme terms. Why people get so passionate about it seems very strange.

The olive and silver line stuff was gorgeous, totally functional sharp lines, nice! The stuff after that including my supernait also leaning towards functional and pretty.

The stuff like the nova, not so much and the stuff in those pictures earlier, I am not sure what they are trying to say with it, I know things move on but the dip in the middle looks frankly odd and by the looks of things is plastic, which is unnecessary and a poor choice for longevity, bizzare!
I wrote something similar above. It would be more sensible if the middle section was glass. Plastic will scratch really easily, and if it really is plastic, it seems a bit of a daft choice. I like my three Classic boxes, which are both smart and discreet, and being tucked in the corner don’t draw attention to themselves.

There is a difference between simply not liking something, which is fair enough, and using every opportunity to slag something off in often extreme terms. Why people get so passionate about it seems very strange.

Nothing strange about it at all, it's just people + the Internet, just look at the comments people make on YouTube, Facebook, etc

All hi-fi equipment
I wrote something similar above. It would be more sensible if the middle section was glass. Plastic will scratch really easily, and if it really is plastic, it seems a bit of a daft choice. I like my three Classic boxes, which are both smart and discreet, and being tucked in the corner don’t draw attention to themselves.

I agree about plastic being an odd choice if it is plastic. Naim being Naim though, I expect there will be a good reason for using plastic or whatever it is. As for the design of the new range, I slightly prefer it to the Classic Range.

advertisement

Back