advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

I think the NSC222 is obviously the long overdue replacement for the NAC N272 but will be in a new case style that has been signalled by the Nova, Atom, Star and Solstice electronics.

NSS333 (or NSC) I suspect is a standalone streamer in the new case style although it’s not clear so far were it sits in the range versus the other current streamers in the Classic and 500 cases. Could it even be a DAC-less streamer?

I would expect the 333 as a denomination to be below the 500 series? And unless a streamer only (but no sign of a new NDAC only?) it might be a new nomenclature replacement line for the NDX and NDX2 (like the ND555 for NDS)? I understand why they would keep things under cover for as long as possible to protect current sales but if I was in the market for a NDX2 streamer I would wait a bit and either get the new one or get the NDX2 possibly significantly cheaper soon?

Yep, and that's not all as I had previously mentioned.

Maybe this time around the rocket scientists at Naim will have the courage to admit that their implementation of the ALPS Blue potentiometers was a massive failure that alienated and infuriated numerous customers around the globe. But most likely not...

If they have started migrating to a new casework, won’t they need matching amps and power supplies?! I wonder if this means a move away from traditional linear power supplies as well…..oh exciting

If they have started migrating to a new casework, won’t they need matching amps and power supplies?! I wonder if this means a move away from traditional linear power supplies as well…..oh exciting
There was a post on here a while ago that mentioned a revised 250 in the new casework. So that and the streaming preamp would make a complete system. As to where the separate streamer fits it’s not clear, and maybe it’s also a streaming preamp but the Bluetooth certification list just said preamp.

There was a post on here a while ago that mentioned a revised 250 in the new casework. So that and the streaming preamp would make a complete system. As to where the separate streamer fits it’s not clear, and maybe it’s also a streaming preamp but the Bluetooth certification list just said preamp.

I can t imagine that the success of the Linn Selekt DSm will have passed them by…..

Time will tell!

If it was just a streaming pre that was being released that would be one thing, a nice integration of the improved base streaming platform into a pre, in "New Classic" casework. The fact there's a new streamer too is kinda interesting, it might imply a new DAC architecture or implementation. I can't see them effectively recasing the NDX2, nor releasing a DACless streamer. I'm not sure what that leaves other than either a mid-step between NDX2 and ND555, I'm not sure there's much room with their existing DAC architecture to do that, or something new. Which would be pretty exciting.

I don’t see myself changing much in my system (Auralic Aries G2 into HugoTT into Naim 552/300) {except perhaps a total change to streaming actives} but in the sad life I lead I’m interested to see what Naim come up with.

There was a 172 and 272 and now a 222 and 333 so perhaps they are just direct replacements ?

I think a link with Focal actives is almost inevitable especially with the new app that is a Naim / Focal app.

I’ve fallen a bit out of love with Naim but would always wish them well as I’m sure there’s still quite a few good guys and gals working there whose heart is in the right place.

.sjb

advertisement

Back