advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

And finally we see the infamous NSC222... :cool: It's a low-res photo, but it does look pretty hideous at the moment... Who thought that a step in the middle was a good idea? :eek:
And the fins on the sides make it even busier... Far from "new classic" I would say...

Let's see how they will look like in flesh. It shouldn't be that far now..

The writing was on the wall for the new color logo.
After the Muso, Atom Solstice it was more and more clear that Naim was moving away from their iconic green.
We like progress but not change in general, the marketing department must have gotten good response from the earlier product lunches.
However it feels strange changing something that was so visually established as part of your brand.
A bit like Mcintosh with yellow VU meters, DartZeel in blue casework or Wilson speakers with wood veener.
The interesting part is that now Rega can make products with green lights :)

I have never seen the point of the tiny Oled screen on Naim streamers. Who would want to use this to choose music instead of a large ipad screen from the comfort of the listening chair? The screens seem to be a weak point from a reliability standpoint and look hideous.

It could be a prototype, but even if this is the case, or a digital mash-up, I do agree that what is being presented is a confusing mix of parts. I struggle to use the word style in this context.

if you are the faker, come on you could do better!

in regard to Naim’s recent use of large slabs of acrylic, I can see this being an issue in the long run as it is easily damaged and if your thing is product with a long life cycle then this isn’t going to enhance your image long term, plus IMO really big slabs of the stuff are going to look dated very quickly.

The tiny screen dates it before it is launched, this is the kind of thing that now appears on heavily cost managed products not hi end. I guess Naim are limited to what they can do whilst sticking with their long standing use of low profile case work.

Time for wholesale change perhaps? That might generate lots of new sales in the Fraim rack department too!

As expected, the thread on the green forum is vanished (deleted by Naim S.S.) ...

No surprise, everything over there has been heavily moderated for years, even I could understand they would want to keep this release in secrecy as long as possible, free speech is long gone at Naim premises.

Seem as they moved the Uniti/Muso volume to frontpanel, which is a good thing IMO, was a bit misplaced on top of a Nova in a rack.
But from an ergonomic point such a large diameter knob works best on top, not front.
A front panel is better operated with less than 2 inch size knobs. The only oversized volume I can think of that works ok is on a Manley preamp, but that is domed in shape.
Form should follow function.

I think they look fine and very similar to how I expected them to look. The design cues have been there for all to see since the Statement through the current Uniti range to the Soltice TT.

I have never seen the point of the tiny Oled screen on Naim streamers. Who would want to use this to choose music instead of a large ipad screen from the comfort of the listening chair? The screens seem to be a weak point from a reliability standpoint and look hideous.
If the new white logo products employ the same logic as (say) ND555, the colour screen cannot be used to make a music selection like it could on the old NDS. It may be possible to select from a limited number of favourites via the front screen, but it’s not something I’ve ever tried. Likewise for the remote control, which is also pretty useless, when everything can be done better through an iPad.

The design cues have been there for all to see

Any guess what the two lower white logo'ed boxes are ?
On/off on front

If its new NSC222 on top it could be a new XPS PSU and new 250.
Someone mentioned somewhere new 300 will be mono, could be these ?

Any guess what the two lower white logo'ed boxes are ?
On/off on front

If its new NSC222 on top it could be a new XPS PSU and new 250.
Someone mentioned somewhere new 300 will be mono, could be these ?
I think the second box from the top is a power supply for the box on top. And the third box is a power supply supply for the power supply. And so on.

But from an ergonomic point such a large diameter knob works best on top, not front.
A front panel is better operated with less than 2 inch size knobs.

It appears to have been designed a left handed person. Knobs on the top are only practical if the unit is on the top of a rack or on a shelf by itself. Perfect for an all in one. My setup means that I automatically discount anything that has knob on the top. However I would agree that 1.5 - 2 inch knob is a good size . The knob my Cambridge Audio 851n falls within this range and is also nicely weighted which makes it easy to use.

advertisement

Back