advertisement

New Naim streamer preamp

Is there anywhere to go in sound quality really now with top flight streamers. Have we reached really only the re package state ?

I doubt it. There will always be a market for new expensive shiny things though, which is big enough to keep the likes of Naim going commercially. I find that the SQ of the higher end options currently is not something I particularly want to listen to on a long term basis. Hifi seems to have gone ultra analytical. There are only so many ways to make your products unique.

I have listened to a number of Focal speakers on the end of Naim gear.....not that impressed. However one stood out - the Sopra....I actually think this was developed with Naim in mind.......to me it seems voiced differently to the other speakers... I thought the Sopra rather good...

Going back to the first part of this post ... is the ND555 going to be updated...have they run out of Ladder DAC's??? ......omg.... will we actually be able to enjoy native DSD ... without internal conversion to pcm???

When at the factory I did have a grumble about the ALP's pots - to me it's got to be a bit of a bottleneck....and I think some of the S1's sonic improvement is down to this.......I see no reason why most of the classic preamps could not be redesined to accommodate this....

Is there anywhere to go in sound quality really now with top flight streamers. Have we reached really only the re package state ?
That’s an interesting question. Im sure there must be some way to go yet. At the risk of being controversial, I’d say that streaming still lags some way behind vinyl in terms of presence, depth and emotion. I use both by the way.

Digital has been a done deal for a decade. There's no new frontier just endless mining of the existing back catalogue.

NSC-222.png

NAP-250.png

https://www.billyvee.co.uk/naim-audio-new-classic

Also:
https://magazine.hometheaterhifi.com/issue/winter-2023/naim-audio/

As a former 272 owner the 222 looks not unattractive. It’s got a phono stage included, which is nice.

The second link mentions more products, but no pictures (so far)…

Thanks for the links.

Evolution more than revolution design look wise.
The jump from Chrome to Olive, and then to Classic most have felt more jarring.

Don’t mind the look, however can’t help think that had they kept the green, it would be easier for Classic owners to upgrade to New Classic in steps.

curious to read about the sound changes

It certainly looks better than the early image, which was probably captured secretly, hopefully in the flesh it will look even better. Great for new customers not sure yet if I could be bothered making what will be a very expensive change if you want everything to match. Any word on pricing yet, I didn’t see anything on the links?

Looks smart I think. MM phono is a good inclusion. I see there is a new PSU (NPX-300) with backwards compatibility (XPS replacement).

And a new phono stage (Superline replacement or Super-Stageline?) NVC 331 – Phono Stage

Last edited:
So NPX-300 seems to have at least two outputs: one analogue and one digital, similar logic as NPX-TT. Something like Hicap and XPS combined into one box I suppose. Good for box reduction.
Curious to see at which level NAC-332 will be...

advertisement

Back