advertisement

New Naim S1 pre/power

Very true Bob. I don't see a problem with it either though, especially as many of the traditional outlets EE refers to are sadly succumbing to the recession and demise of the "mid-fi" market on British high streets.

A couple of years ago I enjoyed a dinner with Julian Richer in a Bristol restaurant. He struck me as a very intelligent, driven and creative man; in fact not that different to Julian Vereker. Never say never I guess.....

It sounds like they have probably produced a performance close to what most of us non Naim owners already experience on a day to day basis, albeit at an eye watering cost.

This reminds me of the typical man in pub circa 1990 who claims he could beat Mike Tyson in a fist fight, no facts or trade experience to back it up, just by sheer pure self conviction.

If you simply just believe in something enough, it comes true doesn't it?

No reason why the 'budget' range shouldn't be there competing alongside Marantz, Pioneer and Cambridge. Richer are actually pretty good dealers IME.

Absolutely, I've shopped (and purchased) there twice in the last 5 weeks - the staff are superb :)

Not sure, if they will be able to provide the chin stroking, foot tapping, single speaker dem thats necessary to shift Naim though :D

Maybe they need some 'volume' to pay for the S stuff, that could happen with Richer Sounds. And while i think about it, they cant possibly still manufacture all the range in Salisbury can they? Or is it assembled there?

I honestly don't know if it's all still assembled in Salisbury. They used to pride themselves on it so I hope they still do. Alternatively if I were saving costs I'd get things like display panel PCB's or switch assemblies outsourced because they can be done cheaply and have no bearing on the audio. Everything we sell is being made in-house by my own hands.

I'm certainly not qualified to comment on the type of work required to ensure a NAP 500 meets or exceeds factory specs but I will tell you I have dealt with Chris West for twenty years, first at Naim USA and now at AVOptions. His level of care and quality of service is unmatched in my opinion.

If anyone has any concern or questions regarding his price for a NAP 500 rebuild, I'm sure an email to Chris will get you answers as to what's done and why it's done. Request the same from any of his competitors and compare the two lists as well as your tech's background working with Naim components and then decide who you want to spend your money with, otherwise, you're pissing in the wind by speculating here.

This reminds me of the typical man in pub circa 1990 who claims he could beat Mike Tyson in a fist fight, no facts or trade experience to back it up, just by sheer pure self conviction.

Or it could be like a man in the pub in 1987 saying they could beat Mike Tyson in a boxing match, because they'd already knocked out Trevor Berbick and James Smith.

Or it could be like a man in the pub in 1987 saying they could beat Mike Tyson in a boxing match, because they'd already knocked out Trevor Berbick and James Smith.

What I was illustrating is somebody who has no audio visual industry experience, no professional technical expertise and no good judgement (the integrity of the latter is only as good as the strength of two former points) can subjectively make conclusions with a scope as wide like that.

The same applies to brazen opinions in boxing, if you're not a professional fighter, you are not worth listening to if you make silly claims that you are superior to a pro who was on top of the game and hated by many.

What I was illustrating is somebody who has no audio visual industry experience, no professional technical expertise and no good judgement (the integrity of the latter is only as good as the strength of two former points) can subjectively make conclusions with a scope as wide like that.

The same applies to brazen opinions in boxing, if you're not a professional fighter, you are not worth listening to if you make silly claims that you are superior to a pro who was on top of the game and hated by many.

This is a spurious analogy .

who will win a boxing match can be objectively tested .

Hifi is wholly subjective , I don't care If you don't like the sound of my hifi , if I do my judgement always wins .

Anh,

We are all typical men, some have opinions through experience and observing and learning from the experience of others, some use published "facts" & "reviews" to formulate (and possibly justify) their opinions.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much money you throw at something, because it is futile IMO to try and polish a turd ;)

advertisement

Back