advertisement

New Naim S1 pre/power

Is there not the possibility that the pricing is based solely on what they think they can ask a certain type of buyer, at a particular level of the market.

It might be yes but regardless of that, if the amp doesn't offer a whole lot more than just the traditional naim sonic strengths then there won't be any 'certain type of buyers' IMO.

Is there not the possibility that the pricing is based solely on what they think they can ask a certain type of buyer, at a particular level of the market.

In the past they usually carried out tentative pricing at product pre-launches and/or shows, banding around a figure, if it isn't met with hostility then that is the price the consumer pays. Hi Line and Power Line are just a couple of products where they did this.

Pre-production products don't really tend to be on the same performance level as the actual produced products.

..........buyers at this type of level demand all sorts of things which a 552/500 doesn't even begin to do.

Even the 552/500 doesn't even do what a £2K valve integrated can do in their respective balanced set ups.
Could the S1 be another feat of engineering where budget is not an issue, but could, again, fall shy of a level of performance comparable to its price?

Even the 552/500 doesn't even do what a £2K valve integrated can do in their respective balanced set ups.

No, thankfully they don't.

Mr Clay B's the only valid opinion on this thread, being the only person who's actually heard the Statement setup.

I think VFM was not a consideration when designing or pricing this product.

That statement is not only applicable to the Statement..

flatcap76xi.jpg

Yeah, several vacuum tubes with small metal parts in them (aka light bulbs) and a transformer which was wound with some degree of care, that's much better value for money.

What you pay for is the design. Even the most esoteric designs probably cost no more that £50 - £100 for the components and can be assembled in a couple of hours max.

So if someone actually managed to produce the perfect amplifier with only 3 components, you'd say 'that's not value for money, I want more components'?

I think the news that Naim have produced a statement product is less surprising than their imminent arrival in Richer Sounds - but they haven'y made such a splash about that ;)

I presume the S1 will not be available through their high street outlets!

It seems to me that at those kinds of price levels you'd get better performance with a fully active system .... DSP based crossovers, multiple smaller amps directly connected to the drivers etc, rather than a piledriver of an amp connected to a speaker with a passive crossover.

Traded in 552/500's??? Theres not that many owners left out there, is there?

I thought a lot of em had dumped it for the far superior tube amplification available?

Never had 552/500 and not heard the statements but have yet to hear a tube amp which i preferred to a good Naim amp.

Some tube design can be very impressive at first, but usually I get tired of the lack of flow and timing, the sometime bloated tonal balance not to mention the often very coloured performance, ok some very few samples do actually perform good but stating above is a bit away from the truth me think.

I'm far from beeing an admirer of their recent range with a few exceptions but feel pretty comfortable with earlier CB & olive stuff

As they have been doing on the NAC 552 (and possibly elsewhere) for ages.

I had to check pictures of the 552, but you are correct. I didn't know that, mostly because all the Naim preamps I have used did not have phono inputs. Lower down the range (e.g. on nDac, UnitiQute which I have) they certainly do not use such expensive components.

Naim in Richer Sounds, now theres a thought :eek:

I've been told by a number of Richer staff that it is happening and soon.

I've heard a long term friend and Naim dealer complain about it too and that Dougie Graham is denying it.

Interesting times.

I think the news that Naim have produced a statement product is less surprising than their imminent arrival in Richer Sounds - but they haven'y made such a splash about that ;)

I presume the S1 will not be available through their high street outlets!

Or any retail outlets for that matter - think about it;)

advertisement

Back