advertisement

New Naim management and products

Reading from the sheep forum there's a lot of brexiteers who have an anti French view, its funny. Vive la France!

I wonder with the traditional 10 % April price rise hike on product the new owners will go for 15 - 20 % ?
But as they say in their advertising...World Class Sound ?.....It can never be cheap.

I'm not sure what Charlie's exact role was as before that, PS did re-organize Naim after Focal/Vervent ownership.
C. Henderson seem to have made Naim T-shirts widely available plus hired a former What Hifi reviewer.

Maybe she will run the forum and promote/establish the Focal brand to be a perfect partner for Naim.
I noticed she was active in promoting a Mu-So (w/Focal units) for Bentley.

<moderating>

I’ve removed a few posts that were clear AUP breaches (bringing arguments/dsputes in from elsewhere).

PS To be honest I can’t see how this is even newsworthy. For those who thought Naim survived after Julian’s death what has changed? It has been in French/venture capital ownership for many years now, though as long as the kit is still UK built to a decent standard as opposed to just being an expensive badge on bargain bucket Chinese stuff I can’t see what exactly has changed?! To my mind it was either game over back when Julian died, or it will be if the Salisbury factory shuts. Different people will have different views, but for me those are the real lines in the sand (FWIW whilst I genuinely wish them all the best I was in the former camp).

I did a tiny bit odd R&D for Naim before I started TQ as Catch22, great bunch of people. I enjoy my short time there just as they were taken over by Focal, and then thing just started to creep to hell. So so Sad to see this again. a add on the KOG company was formed by the lads from Focal and they went on distribute TQ at first they did a great job then they got polluted by greed.

It has been in French/venture capital ownership for many years now, though as long as the kit is still UK built to a decent standard as opposed to just being an expensive badge on bargain bucket Chinese stuff I can’t see what exactly has changed?

I think it the change is incremental. This is just one more step in the wrong direction, as far as I'm concerned anyway. There is a world of difference between having the big decisions made by people who are passionate about the products or people who care about profit and nothing else. I've seen it first hand. A local manufacturing company which was bought over by a French company. The company founder was retained as manager but he couldn't invest in what he wanted to or even take on extra staff. The French owners pulled the strings, it was quite sad to see actually.

I suppose it is a shame but if you think about it it's just the way things go. So many great Hi-Fi companies of the past are gone or are a shadow of what they were. But new ones appear if there is a market for them. Maybe you'll see some ex-Naim people set sail in a new venture. That's exactly what happened with Fyne audio and they're doing well.

I predict a Naim Audio shower radio will be one of the new products. Audiophiles must take showers, right? Even the really crusty and smelly audiophiles must get a shower once every few days. That's a massive potential market that nobody else has thought about tapping yet (pun intended).

I have baths, not showers.
No wasteful plastic bottles containing expensive ‘body wash’ or whatever it’s called.
A bar of soap and a flannel.
And I’m not a ‘crusty / smelly’ audiophile.

Naim shower radio ?
No, just an old Bush portable radio.
Just right for ‘The Archers’ & a bath.

That thread is hilarious. Change doesn’t have to be bad and even if every new Naim product released under whatever their new management structure is, it certainly doesn’t affect either sh values of existing stuff, nor the quality of it. Perhaps the people complaining in the Naim forum would like to chuck in a few mil of their own to keep it the way they think it should be?

And who knows, maybe under new coming products, a new vintage look-alike Nait will appear, and everyone will be so happy and pleased. Surely it might bring in a few pounds. Maybe.

No-one has yet mentioned the ( legendary? ) little Naim Nait amplifier. Surely some were buried in a time capsule somewhere in Salisbury.

I had one in the day and what people fair to understand is that it was not legendary at the time. While recognized as being musical, it was very low powered compared to any of its rivals and was seen as just a 'budget' Naim amplifier. Like a BMW 1 series, what you bought if you couldn't afford a real Naim amplifier. It has only been elevated to mythical status in hindsight.

advertisement

Back