advertisement

New Musical Fidelity Phonostage has arrived :)

JohnyT

pfm Member
My new Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl phonostage arrived a couple days ago. It replaces the Musical Fidelity M3X Vinyl which I bought a few months back. To be fair to the M3X it keeps up extremely well! If I hadn't got the OK from the boss I would of been happy for it to be a life long keeper! I know the Nu-Vista needs some bedding in time so not the fairest comparison but still very impressive.

After a disaster with my also brand new Cadenza Bronze (topic for another post) I've only had half a day to listen to a MC cart. As mentioned not a massive leap forward from the M3X in detail, but the Nu-Visa tubes bring that smile you get when listening to that tuby goodness. It's smooooooth baby that's the only way I can describe it. I don't mind telling you it brought tears to my eyes at one point, its that emotionally engaging. I'm sure those of you with a more full on tube setup get this in spades! With that said I'm guessing the NU-Vista tubes are a bit of a compromise. The substantially longer life and other conveniences which come with this unit we're a big draw. Proper big tubes give off a lot of heat and can be fussy where their placed, for me it was just better this way.
Any way for now I'm back to my trusty MP-500, again like the MX3 Vinyl the Nu-Vista is a great match for it. Guessing usually wouldn't make sense to put a £500 cartridge on a £3k stage but theirs still that little more musicality to pull out if you do.

Loving the looks I really dig the beefy heatsinks on the side, their just for show I think as it doesn't give off much heat. The M3X felt high quality and sturdy, the Nu-Vista is a beast in this department. In fact it's starting to overshadow the A-S1200 that sits bellow.

So as you can probably tell I'm a very very happy camper. Just gotta wait for my replacement Cadenza Bronze to be the cherry on the top. As for the old (well 6 months old) M3X Vinyl, sadly I have it up for sale along with a some other unused hardware. Would liked to have kept it for a secondary setup or something but was one of the conditions from the woman herself :mad:,:(.

vista.jpg

Is that a scone or a bread bun on its side on top of power amp?
LOL it's a bit of a poor quality photo.
I was looking into VPI Magic Bricks & Entreq Vibbeaters, claiming the iron and minerals would somehow absorb spurious magnetic energy from the amps transformer. I'm not going to get into all that in this post, (please don't) maybe another time.;)
Anyway I figured I'm not gonna spend a couple hundo to find out, I'll grab a gurt lump of jasper from the east coast which it full of Iron and minerals. Stuck a lil duck tape underneath so not to scratch the amp.

LOL it's a bit of a poor quality photo.
I was looking into VPI Magic Bricks & Entreq Vibbeaters, claiming the iron and minerals would somehow absorb spurious magnetic energy from the amps transformer. I'm not going to get into all that in this post, (please don't) maybe another time.;)
Anyway I figured I'm not gonna spend a couple hundo to find out, I'll grab a gurt lump of jasper from the east coast which it full of Iron and minerals. Stuck a lil duck tape underneath so not to scratch the amp.

Ah..... makes as much sense as putting a scone on top of it then....

I'm outa here!

Ah..... makes as much sense as putting a scone on top of it then....

I'm outa here!

Yes, not really made an audible difference. I guess by physically being there it may be absorbing a little something but I have no way of proving that for sure.
I was at the coast last week and thought I'd try a free experiment based on the aforementioned claims.
Any ways not really what I was expecting to talk about here, be cool to hear from any one else who's using a Musical Fidelity phonostage. Any positive or negative experiences?

Yes, not really made an audible difference. I guess by physically being there it may be absorbing a little something but I have no way of proving that for sure.
I was at the coast last week and thought I'd try a free experiment based on the aforementioned claims.
Any ways not really what I was expecting to talk about here, be cool to hear from any one else who's using a Musical Fidelity phonostage. Any positive or negative experiences?

I could tell you many negative experiences of working for Musical Fidelity if that's any good:D

My new Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl phonostage arrived a couple days ago. It replaces the Musical Fidelity M3X Vinyl which I bought a few months back. To be fair to the M3X it keeps up extremely well! If I hadn't got the OK from the boss I would of been happy for it to be a life long keeper! I know the Nu-Vista needs some bedding in time so not the fairest comparison but still very impressive.

Phono stage looks great, plenty of adjustments and inputs - enjoy listening to it!!!!!!

I remember these special valves being of very limited supply 20 odd years ago, must have located more?
Everything MF made was " Limited Edition" well sort of. Including my MF Nu Vista 300 power amp (s). Reality is they Iver made just over 320 sets because they could not make anymore ( QC issue with the casings) and...Well they couldn't sell anymore!

I remember these special valves being of very limited supply 20 odd years ago, must have located more?

I'm sure I read somewhere they bought up a huge amount of stock some years ago. I don't know if that caused the limited supply or they just had enough buying power to get all they could find.

I'm sure I read somewhere they bought up a huge amount of stock some years ago. I don't know if that caused the limited supply or they just had enough buying power to get all they could find.
I thought they were a discontinued product?

I thought they were a discontinued product?

They are, there just happened to be a large number of them still hanging around somewhere. I don't know exact numbers though. This is not an isolated instance. For example there are brand new HF tube amps being manufactured using a warehouse of new old stock. Once thier gone their gone.

advertisement

Back