advertisement

New Mc cartridge

If you like Ortofon and find the Bronze too smooth the Black might be just the ticket in your system. I thought it majored on air and resolution. I ended up buying a Hana ML, seemed to me to deliver the benefits of both with more solid foundation.

I've since moved on to a Phasemation, fabulous. I've not heard the PP500 but know of a couple of others who use and rate it

Wow thanks for all the great replies and help people, this is a great forum.So I’m considering the Hana ML & The Lyra Delos as the main contenders and reading lots of reviews

I really don’t think you can go wrong with a Lyra or Dynavector.

The TKR is a stonkingly good choice without spending the earth.

Dont buy the Hana without listening first as its reputation is IMO somewhat hyped.

I wouldn't go for a Benz if your system sounds too smooth.

I use a Benz Ref S into a step up and valve phono stage and it is smoother than my Ortofon Jubilee.

Had the cadenza bronze which i thought was great , then went for the cadenza blue which has a bit more energy , bit more noisy in the groove than the bronze , soft cantilever puts me off the bronze also the stylus cover seems to fit better on the blue , phil.

I’m considering the Hana ML & The Lyra Delos as the main contenders

No personal experience but I thought the Hanas were a little on the warm side, which is not what you were after.

I wouldn't go for a Benz if your system sounds too smooth.
I use a Benz Ref S into a step up and valve phono stage and it is smoother than my Ortofon Jubilee.

Yes, I said this upthread so glad you agree. My only listen to the Jubilee (on a friend's exc. system) was that it wasn't just smooth. it was lifeless ! There y'go (prob. a mismatch)!

Dont buy the Hana without listening first as its reputation is IMO somewhat hyped.

Maybe a valid point as they've certainly had acclaim over recent years. Conversely, if there's that much adulation, maybe it's deserving (no idea!).;)

I used the Hana ML in an Audionote system (AN TT2/Arm 1/2). I really liked it and it’s great vfm even at the RRP. But with the SME V, I preferred the Lyra Delos - it was ‘lighter’ with a bit more ‘air’.

I used the Hana ML in an Audionote system (AN TT2/Arm 1/2). I really liked it and it’s great vfm even at the RRP. But with the SME V, I preferred the Lyra Delos - it was ‘lighter’ with a bit more ‘air’.

Odd, that, as the neutrally characterlessness of the Five would seem to favour the Hana, except that at 11g, i feel that maybe there's a slight mass requirement mismatch. Mind you, having had 2 Lyras in a Five, they do seem okay, though Lyras and unipivots are best friends. I can imagine the Hana (like Ks) having a slightly darker presentation, but I'm guessing here. Nothing dark about Lyras though !

Hana ML. No point bothering with anything else. I stepped to it from a Koetsu Signature, and its much better.

K Red T Sig. relegated by a Hana? Very surprised and would point to a mismatch there. Lower Ks will sound fine on a lower med. mass arm (a Five, e.g.) as I had this combo but they perform much better with a bit of mass in the arm. My Urushi sounded good in the Five but really came into its own in my 12" arms, despite only having a mass diff. of 4g or so with the Five.

K Red T Sig. relegated by a Hana? Very surprised and would point to a mismatch there. Lower Ks will sound fine on a lower med. mass arm (a Five, e.g.) as I had this combo but they perform much better with a bit of mass in the arm. My Urushi sounded good in the Five but really came into its own in my 12" arms, despite only having a mass diff. of 4g or so with the Five.

Yep, relegated, and I've never looked back. The Hana is far superior in every way. This is on a Gyro with SME309.

Yep, relegated, and I've never looked back. The Hana is far superior in every way. This is on a Gyro with SME309.

Seems that the 3009 has only 9.5 eff. mass (hope I've got the right arm) which on paper at the very least is far too light for many m/coils and esp. Koetsus. Everything has versatility, of course, but synergy is king for max. performance. Actually I'm surprised that an arm which is derived from the Five can shed 1.5g mass and put it into the mm ball-park. Matybe I've missed sth.

Last edited:
Seems that the 3009 has only 9.5 eff. mass (hope I've got the right arm) which on paper at the very least is far too light for many m/coils and esp. Koetsus. Everything has versatility, of course, but synergy is king for max. performance. Actually I'm surprised that an arm which is derived from the Five can shed 2g mass and put it into the mm ball-park. Matybe I've missed sth.

It's a 309, which I suppose is less mass than a 3009.

You've been against Hana's for a while, without actually trying them, so I expect your bias wouldn't allow you to actually hear a Hana properly, however having had around 15 cartridges, from £1k to £3k+, the Hana ML still out performs them all. Now, i enjoy listening to music, not cartridges, as everything just sounds siblime and I never want to change a thing on my vinyl side. No more wasted money nor experimentation. Took a while though, but I got there.

I've since moved on to a Phasemation, fabulous. I've not heard the PP500 but know of a couple of others who use and rate it

There are several problems with the Phasemation cartridges.
1. The cartridges are very shallow and this can cause a clearance problem with certain tonearms. On some tonearms it's impossible to accurately adjust the VTA.
2. The bass response isn't great.

It's a 309, which I suppose is less mass than a 3009.

You've been against Hana's for a while, without actually trying them, so I expect your bias wouldn't allow you to actually hear a Hana properly, however having had around 15 cartridges, from £1k to £3k+, the Hana ML still out performs them all. Now, i enjoy listening to music, not cartridges, as everything just sounds siblime and I never want to change a thing on my vinyl side. No more wasted money nor experimentation. Took a while though, but I got there.
309 has an effective mass of 9.5gram as a matter of fact and is best suited for mid to high compliance cartridges , no wonder Hana outperformed Koetsu Red T Sig as installing it on 309 doesn’t make sense at all . Cartridge weighting barely 9 gram with compliance of 5 x 10-6 cm/dyne at 100 hz on 9.5 gram tonearm , not sure how this supposed to work unless you put fair bit of extra weight to the head shell but then you probably wouldn’t balance it, SME V is bit heavier but still not a great match for low compliance carts .

advertisement

Back