advertisement

New Mc cartridge

NEWGUY

I’m looking for a new mc cartridge that will suit my system better.
I have an sme 20 which goes into a Luxman valve phono and a Luxman valve pre amp.
I have thee cartridges and have been using an AT VM750sh in this system for most of the time as my best cartridge ( Ortofon Cadeza Bronze)just sounds too smooth and warm for my valve set up.
I used to own the Cadenza Blue (which I should have kept) and that suited my system much better.
So what do I try next, the Cadenza Bronze was an expensive mistake (it’s only got around 50 hours on it).
I’m looking for a dynamic & lively sounding cart that will suit my valve phono stage a bit better.
Suggestions are welcome please.

I would suggest you return to a Cadenza Blue unless you are prepared to spend quite a bit more money. Perhaps a Ti or A95. I have used both the Blue (2 of) and the Bronze (current) in my SME V arm and they are a good match. I moved in the opposite direction with my solid state system as a change in speakers made the Blue a little too aggressive. That proved to be the right move bringing more balance to the overall sound. I also run a Cadenza Mono in another arm. I like the consistency of Ortofon cartridges from sample to sample compared to more boutique brands.
Obviously your problem is that your trade in or resale is Lowe value for a cartridge fairly new cartridge. I wrote my first Bronze off just after installation while installing the Mono. I spoke to Henley and was able to get a bit better deal although still an expensive error.

how do you get on with Lyra’s exposed stylus?

The Lyra stylus guard is one of the best in industry. You only need a bit of a steady hand when slipping it on.

2F3A4359.jpeg

If you like the VM, surely the answer is the best Audio Technica you can afford?
I'm not familiar with the new range, but my generalisation (with lots of AT's) is the more you pay, they do actually get better.

The Lyra stylus guard is one of the best in industry. You only need a bit of a steady hand when slipping it on.

2F3A4359.jpeg

Yes that looks a good design.

The Delos sounds like it could meet my needs for a fast and lively cart.

My system sounds great with my Esoteric CD player but just a little warm and laid back with my Vinyl so i need a cart that has the same vivid ,lively sound quality as my CD.

If you like the VM, surely the answer is the best Audio Technica you can afford?
I'm not familiar with the new range, but my generalisation (with lots of AT's) is the more you pay, they do actually get better.

I'm not too sure about this, I have had two AT33PTG's in the past which i thought were average compared to the Cadenza Blue i had at that time.
Currently own a OC 9xsl which is good for detail and sounds lively but has a much `smaller Soundstage' and tends to group the image between the speakers ,whereas the Cadenza Bronze's soundstage is huge in comparison.

I also love the Ortofon Cadenza Blue: I still think it's the sweet spot in the Cadenza range. The Black is 'better' at detail presentation, but IMO seems to dissect the performance a bit too much: a bit like concentrating on hifi performance as opposed to the music.

Have you considered the Zyx Ultimatum 100? I've only heard one once in an unfamiliar system (fitted to an SME V arm), but it sounded tremendous. It's certainly one I'm looking at for the future.

I would suggest you return to a Cadenza Blue unless you are prepared to spend quite a bit more money. Perhaps a Ti or A95. I have used both the Blue (2 of) and the Bronze (current) in my SME V arm and they are a good match. I moved in the opposite direction with my solid state system as a change in speakers made the Blue a little too aggressive. That proved to be the right move bringing more balance to the overall sound. I also run a Cadenza Mono in another arm. I like the consistency of Ortofon cartridges from sample to sample compared to more boutique brands.
Obviously your problem is that your trade in or resale is Lowe value for a cartridge fairly new cartridge. I wrote my first Bronze off just after installation while installing the Mono. I spoke to Henley and was able to get a bit better deal although still an expensive error.

I heard the A95 at a dealer and really liked it.It's been discontiuned now hasent it ?

Yes the Cadenza Blue is on the list ,but looking into Lyra too at the moment.

I tried to order a Benz Micro Glider H but got told there is a very ,very long wait due to a shortage of parts, so had to get a refund on my order.
It may be the same for other new carts too as Covid has hit the supply chain really bad ,so the dealer told me...

I also love the Ortofon Cadenza Blue: I still think it's the sweet spot in the Cadenza range. The Black is 'better' at detail presentation, but IMO seems to dissect the performance a bit too much: a bit like concentrating on hifi performance as opposed to the music.

Have you considered the Zyx Ultimatum 100? I've only heard one once in an unfamiliar system (fitted to an SME V arm), but it sounded tremendous. It's certainly one I'm looking at for the future.
No ive not heard any of the ZYX range.

Are they a lively sounding cart ?

Yes it is - it might be perfect for you.

The Benz Glider is another option (I have one of those too), though I never fitted it to my SME V arm when I had it.

I heard the A95 at a dealer and really liked it.It's been discontiuned now hasent it ?

I tried to order a Benz Micro Glider H but got told there is a very ,very long wait due to a shortage of parts, so had to get a refund on my order.
It may be the same for other new carts too as Covid has hit the supply chain really bad ,so the dealer told me...
I've got a Lyra Delos with less than 50 hours on it. I just upgraded to a Koetsu Red K Sig so the Delos is currently sitting in it's box. Could let you have it for a good price. PM me if interested.

Yes the A95 does seem to have been discontinued now, although I thought I saw it still in Henly's lisiting at end of last year when I bought my Bronze. I really liked the previous A90, but it was too pricey for me at the time I bought my first Blue and it also had a bit of a reputation for wearing out quicker than other Ortofon's.
A Lyra woulld seem to be a good match in your system from what you indicate, but a bit too much towards the 'bright' side for me. At least the earlier ones I heard.

Yes SME V arm,how do you get on with Lyra’s exposed stylus?
The Lyra stylus guard is one of the best in industry
The Delos sounds like it could meet my needs for a fast and lively cart.

Had Clavis D.C. and Helikon for 13+ years and found cuing easy with the exposed canti. Never dawned on me that it could be a liability. Both these with SME Five, b.t.w.. Stylus guard is indeed superb. Delos would do you.

The Benz Glider is another option (I have one of those too), though I never fitted it to my SME V arm when I had it.

Benz is lovely, but warmer than the Lyra AND doesn't come with a stylus guard.

I've got a Lyra Delos with less than 50 hours on it. I just upgraded to a Koetsu Red K Sig

Go for it. The K is around the same output as the Lyra, Mike but is a very different beast sonically (as I'm sure you know). Hope your arm is reasonably massy to make the most of it.

+1 for the Lyra Delos. I used one on an SME 20/3 and much preferred it to the Ortofon Bronze.

There y'go ! Amazing pfm help-desk as usual.:)

advertisement

Back