advertisement

New Mars Rover Day!

A view from, "The Dead."

Grateful_Dead_-_From_the_Mars_Hotel.jpg

Its just fing amazing. We are all so desensitised due to all the stuff we see every day, but actually just get down and imagine sending 1 tonnes of stuff from earth all the way to there and make it do stuff.

Amazing.

That’s amazing, what a shot.

I have a piece of Martian Meteorite here at home (Tissint, hit Morocco, July 18th 2011) it’s the fifth Martian meteorite that people have ever witnessed falling to Earth. :cool:

I always wondered - how does anyone 'know' or 'work out' that it is from Mars? It is hardly being tracked across space, is it?

I’ve seen several references to samples being taken for returning to Earth (at least, that’s what I think it said). What’s envisaged there? This is obviously not a return trip.

I’ve seen several references to samples being taken for returning to Earth (at least, that’s what I think it said). What’s envisaged there? This is obviously not a return trip.

They are being collected for return on a subsequent Mars mission from the article I read.

It goes something like:

1. Perseverance collects and stores samples

2. Perseverance drops the samples at a pre-determined place

3. A later mission drops a vehicle that collects the samples and takes them into Mars orbit

4. A much later mission orbits Mars, grabs the samples and the returns to earth.

The multiple steps must be due to the limited weight that can be shipped to Mars on each mission.

I always wondered - how does anyone 'know' or 'work out' that it is from Mars? It is hardly being tracked across space, is it?

sorry for the late response and the childishness of the video - I know your beyond this stage of education, but it explains about this Meteorite quite well.

Yes, I wondered if that was the plan, but then I wondered why the subsequent Mars mission couldn’t collect their own samples.

it has likely a year plus to collect them from the different places across the crater, so would take a long time to get same samples again, and not sure if it is analysing what it collects and if one “has life” I guess a second chance to analyse the same sample on Earth confirms it.

Looking forward to evidence of life in the form of a martian "Pimp my Ride" beamed back to us!

What happened to the last one???

advertisement

Back