advertisement

New LP12 hinges - insert metal sheet now?

Well, there is one.
Guess I should try again .
My LP12 is a long way from the speakers mounted to a short solid wall on a SVT wall shelf near a open plan stair well which acts as a base trap . Acoustically very good .
Shall try lid off this weekend

And there is an ongoing debate at Linn Headquarters regarding the engineered metal hinges fitted to the LP12 50 with regard to selling them as a replacement for the standard hinges

Linn must have made a few sets that can be installed on regular plinths -- the LP12 that was reviewed in Stereophile was supplied with them. At the time the review came out -June 2022, well before the LP12 50 was announced- I thought it was really weird that Herb Reichert mentioned these new-fangled hinges!

The consensus on the WAM LP-12 forum was that the LP12-50 hinges are not backwards compatible with previous decks. Re-reading the linked HR review he comments that the hinges on his review sample held the lid open unlike the very first LP12 that used a prop to keep the lid up. So, I think that review deck had standard hinges.

It was discussed on WAM ( now back up and running) and my recollection is that someone had a good reason that they would not be compatible. I replaced my original hinges 3 years ago and the new ones work fine so I am not interested in the sexy all metal ones. Thinking about it, the hinge mounts might be different and need new pilot holes? I assume the LP12-50 lid is standard so the new hinge should fit there.

The LP12 50 hinges bolt into metal threaded inserts . A version for standard decks would be an easy modification . A alteration made to the LP12 50 hinges so they take screws

My hinges are about five years old and when new they did indeed hold the lid in any position much to my surprise and delight . Now they don't .
I think the LP12 in the Stereophile review probably had recent standard hinges .

My hinges are about five years old and when new they did indeed hold the lid in any position much to my surprise and delight . Now they don't .
I think the LP12 in the Stereophile review probably had recent standard hinges .

Huh! I bought a (supposedly) new set about 5 years ago and they only barely held/hold the lid up, so I thought Stereophile must have gotten slipped the latest and greatest.

Nope.... I don't understand this either. I bought my LP12 in 1993 and had it for over 20 years. The hinges and lid gave no trouble whatever..
What's changed?

I can already see a little bulge in the plastic after lifting the lid a couple of times...
The hinge plastic is under most stress when the lid is down, not when it's up. If you want the hinges to last, leave the lid up more often :)

advertisement

Back