advertisement

New LP12 hinges - insert metal sheet now?

Mine are originals, from 1981. What am I doing wrong ? Maybe it’s because they are the export version and only the Sassenachs get the crappy ones.

Last edited:
Mine are originals, from 1981. What am I doing wrong ? Maybe it’s because they are the export version and only the Sassenhachs get the crappy ones.
Cryo tempered in cold porridge and only sold on the domestic market unless you're in the know and ask the right Linn dealer ;)

The hinges are one of the few Linn parts that are inexpensive. Probably because they're just standard hinges they buy in so they couldn't get away with it. Complaining that they don't last thirty years is churlish. Just buy a new pair when they go.

I've read them. But they don't tell me what actually fails.

Well, mine from 2014 failed in 3 months, the replacement ones didn't last much longer. At which point I didn't bother to replace them any more - just use the lid as dust cover. - A shame and a disgrace for Linn or deck of this price point.

I just now decided to have another go... and just happen to have a new pair in the post atm.
And they are not cheap if they only last a couple of months or a year either.

What fails? The issue I had was that the springs just didn't/don't hold the lid up anymore.

My originals failed - spring burst through plastic shell, bought new and casing started bulging within a week which led me to come up with metal shim modification.
Large force of strong spring, applied over small tip of spring resulting in failure of polymer case (similar to stiletto heels on cork/wood floors), flattening end of spring would help

I don't like it when a company allows a product to be left with a known fault for years just for the sake of a continued revenue source.
It may be “only” £15/hinge but it doesn’t engender a feeling of quality engineering.

Perhaps they sorted the issue from 2014 - spring not strong enough - with the opposite and spring is now too strong for the surrounding case?

You really want annealed spring steel. A couple of rectangles of tape measure metal should do.

So, I should just sacrifice one of our tape measures when I receive the new hinges?
Beer (or soft drink) can wouldn't cut it?
Old (credit) card, too thick?
What else is out (t)here?

Perhaps they sorted the issue from 2014 - spring not strong enough - with the opposite and spring is now too strong for the surrounding case?

So, I should just sacrifice one of our tape measures when I receive the new hinges?
Beer (or soft drink) can wouldn't cut it?
Old (credit) card, too thick?
What else is out (t)here?
I've a pair in spares here that have never been installed. Both spring ends have poked fully through the plastic housings, without ever having been under the additional tension of a lid being closed. These were $50 a pair when I purchased them, and toast when my previous bulging pair finally fully poked through.

The reason I suggest tape measure steel is that it is very thin and very strong.

I don't know what the local dealer wants for a new set these days, however, Basil Audio out of SF, USA wants $US 69. a pair. (so, likely pushing $100 tax inclusive up here).

P.S. My first 'separate component' turntable, a Pioneer belt-drive, came back to me upon my sister's passing, and the hinges, very similar but for having metal spring housings, are working fine, this after having been continually on since circa 1976, and closed most all of the time since.

My first hinges from 2016 became weak after about 6 years but not massively so but no signs of breakag. The new ones I bought seem much stronger so can only assume there’s some variability. I like the look of the new all metal ones but who knows if they'll ever be available separately?

My first hinges from 2016 became weak after about 6 years but not massively so but no signs of breakag. The new ones I bought seem much stronger so can only assume there’s some variability. I like the look of the new all metal ones but who knows if they'll ever be available separately?
I don't think it matters much what the body is made of as the springs will go anyway. The spring is under constant tension, that plus the repeated cycling when using the lid mean they're going to wear out. And there isn't anything you can do about it.

My hinges have lasted about 20 years so far. I mostly listen with the lid up and I'm not noticing any degradation in the spring tension. Maybe people are pushing the lid back too far and weakening the hinges?

Had a short chat with a Linn representative at the Bristol show today .
Two interesting and relevant snippets . I asked about the LP12 50 Hinges ?

The LP12 50 Plinth will be made available to existing LP12 owners .

And there is an ongoing debate at Linn Headquarters regarding the engineered metal hinges fitted to the LP12 50 with regard to selling them as a replacement for the standard hinges . They are as very expensive to manufacture and the price might prove unacceptable particularly since the performance improvement is modest . They do hold the lid rigidly and you can open the lid and it stays where you leave it . I think I'm right in saying that the lid doesn't touch the plinth and when closed hovers a few mm above the plinth . But it's very very expensive . Precedence has been set and maybe one of the aftermarket manufacturers might take it up maybe .

Linn were demming the LP12-50 without a lid !

Mine are original from 1987 but were never used to hold up the lid. I always remove the lid before playing records. Although they appear to be in good shape, I don’t think they hold up the lid anymore.

And there is an ongoing debate at Linn Headquarters regarding the engineered metal hinges fitted to the LP12 50 with regard to selling them as a replacement for the standard hinges . They are as very expensive to manufacture and the price might prove unacceptable particularly since the performance improvement is modest .
They claim a sonic improvement?

They must be friction hinges rather than sprung, presumably adjustable. If they were spring they'd fail just as the standard hinges do.

Yes they are friction hinges CNC machined ( by the look of them ? ) Was told that they hold the lid rigidly reducing vibration . I assume that means better Sound quality . Me... Lid down , Lid up , Lid off , I can't hear a difference .

Yes they are friction hinges CNC machined ( by the look of them ? ) Was told that they hold the lid rigidly reducing vibration . I assume that means better Sound quality . Me... Lid down , Lid up , Lid off , I can't hear a difference .
Well, there is one.

advertisement

Back