advertisement

New gas boilers banned 2025

Lots of people across the world still live with a minimal or zero carbon footprint. Modern life/expectations are the problem.

One simple example - only for the past 50-60-70 years has there been any expectation that a UK house is heated to any degree. My parents' house (built 1900, a very small end of terrace) had no heating of any description whatsoever upstairs, not even electric blankets, and a small gas fire heated the very small living room. At Chistmas there was a coal fire in the front room, which was out-of-bounds for about 355 days each year.

As mentioned above, I've never been on holiday and I am unable to appreciate why anyone sees it as essential or even a right. Something else that has come to be normal only since well after WW2.

It’s the western lifestyle that’s the problem. An ever growing population seeking to consume ever more resources at lower prices. Of course, the cost to the planet is far higher than the price paid by the consumer.

Pressure is going to come on woodburners tho, sooner or later (likely sooner), esp. in urban areas: they are now the leading source of particulates and a bunch of other nasties far in advance of ...all UK transport, inc.diesels.

Government has already announced that sales of non-dried wood are to be banned. So all those orange bags of logs at the local garage.. will be gone.

The problem with that is that burning wood gives off more CO2 than coal Ponty. Even if you're planting lots of new trees to regenerate there is a big time lag between the CO2 thrown out by burning the cut tree and the CO2 taken in by the new one which needs to grow.

But, at least burning wood is 'new carbon' in the grand scheme of things. Burning coal is 'old' carbon and that is simply not replaceable in any human timescale. The continued consumption of old carbon is the central problem of the environmental issue that the Earth is facing today.

It was reported the other day that an area the size of France has been recently re-forested around the globe. But the report did not make clear if that area replanted was net of the de-forested areas in countries like Brazil and Indonesia.

Smart meters for now do nothing - just hopefully raise awareness.

Or less than nothing - I had a smart meter installed - doesn't work... why ?

Because the meter is inside a metal meter box and so it can't get a connection to EON (Faraday Cage ?).
I now have to manually read the meter every month and send the reading to my EON account ...

Mine were installed by BG and worked. Then I switched suppliers and they both went dumb. So I threw away the remote monitor. Oops

Then the electric one revived and is 'occasionally' getting read by supplier. The Gas one is still 'dark'... but you never know, it might wake up one day.

So I am still largely reading manually - which is easy cos they are just at the bottom of the staircase to the basement utility and office rooms.

Last edited:
Lots of people across the world still live with a minimal or zero carbon footprint. Modern life/expectations are the problem.

One simple example - only for the past 50-60-70 years has there been any expectation that a UK house is heated to any degree. My parents' house (built 1900, a very small end of terrace) had no heating of any description whatsoever upstairs, not even electric blankets, and a small gas fire heated the very small living room. At Chistmas there was a coal fire in the front room, which was out-of-bounds for about 355 days each year.

As mentioned above, I've never been on holiday and I am unable to appreciate why anyone sees it as essential or even a right. Something else that has come to be normal only since well after WW2.
You're overcomplicating things. Mankind was doomed the minute we lit the first fire.

I was interested in the announcement of the 2025 date but suspect it's very aspirational. I'd been giving some consideration to alternative heating recently as the house we're purchasing in the Cairngorms doesn't have mains gas available and current uses oil for heating, with a new boiler having been installed last year. I was thinking about changing that to ground source heating as it has a large garden, however that looks like it'd be very, very expensive. Not just the coast of installing the ground source system itself but also further upgrading the insulation and moving from radiators to under-floor heating.

I suspect we'll be stuck with oil for a good few years yet, and hopefully in that time a more cost effective solution will appear!

I was interested in the announcement of the 2025 date but suspect it's very aspirational. I'd been giving some consideration to alternative heating recently as the house we're purchasing in the Cairngorms doesn't have mains gas available and current uses oil for heating, with a new boiler having been installed last year. I was thinking about changing that to ground source heating as it has a large garden, however that looks like it'd be very, very expensive. Not just the coast of installing the ground source system itself but also further upgrading the insulation and moving from radiators to under-floor heating.

I suspect we'll be stuck with oil for a good few years yet, and hopefully in that time a more cost effective solution will appear!
For heat pump heating (& cooling) to be of any practical use, the building needs to be highly efficient at keeping heat in - ie, no draughts, super well insulated / sealed & also probably run whole house air extract with heat recovery. Then it is an excellent choice. All of that happening is not exactly cheap. Speaking from experience!

It was reported the other day that an area the size of France has been recently re-forested around the globe. But the report did not make clear if that area replanted was net of the de-forested areas in countries like Brazil and Indonesia.
Yes, that was splendidly mis-reported. In the timespan of the study on replanting, SEVEN times that same area was lost worldwide.

So far from a net gain - only a tiny mitigation.

LOL..and now no more peat to be sold in garden centers (being reported by the BBC news). Bad for the environment and carbon emissions apparently.
What a day!
Good.

Carrier bags now 10p each.

People thought that Covid was 'inconvenient' though not a patch on what is required for climate change reversal.

Transportation is now the most polluting sector in the United Kingdom and produced the equivalent of 122 million metric tons of carbon dioxide (MtCO2e) in 2019. This represented roughly 27 percent of the country's total greenhouse gas emissions that year.

No it shouldn’t.
4x4 SUVs should be paying far more than hybrid city cars,

In fairness, they do, through increased fuel consumption and therefore taxation. Seen the cost of VED on a new Chelsea tractor over £40K? It’s eye watering (quite right too). Let alone the VAT.

advertisement

Back