advertisement

New gas boilers banned 2025

The problem with that is that burning wood gives off more CO2 than coal Ponty. Even if you're planting lots of new trees to regenerate there is a big time lag between the CO2 thrown out by burning the cut tree and the CO2 taken in by the new one which needs to grow.

The problem with that is that burning wood gives off more CO2 than coal Ponty. Even if you're planting lots of new trees to regenerate there is a big time lag between the CO2 thrown out by burning the cut tree and the CO2 taken in by the new one which needs to grow.

I have zero emissions in terms of transportation don’t forget. OK, there’s a bit of petrol for chainsaws and log splitters etc. Less than 12 years ago the govt had an incentive of 5% VAT on our wood burning Rayburn.

Yes, I think the main problem is that there has really been no cohesive long term strategy on how to deal with it (assuming govts believes climate change is something that needs to be dealt with...and clearly some don't) - typical government stick your head in the sand over anything longer than the next term.
Personally I think electric vehicles are a disaster...we'll see.

That was not my finding when I changed supplier last month.
I'd better look into that then. I was sure I'd heard that a smart meter was a requirement for the best deals (Martin Lewis?) .
Pure Planet recently put my tariff up so maybe I can save a chunk.
I'll report back.

I'd better look into that then. I was sure I'd heard that a smart meter was a requirement for the best deals (Martin Lewis?) .
Pure Planet recently put my tariff up so maybe I can save a chunk.
I'll report back.
Recently changed to Ecotricity (beginning of this year). Absolutely no pressure to change to smart meters.

I have zero emissions in terms of transportation don’t forget. OK, there’s a bit of petrol for chainsaws and log splitters etc. Less than 12 years ago the govt had an incentive of 5% VAT on our wood burning Rayburn.
And not much earlier they used to think diesel cars were the safer option…

And not much earlier they used to think diesel cars were the safer option…

Man has been burning wood since the dawn of civilisation. No stroker with a clipboard from the council is ever going to stop me burning logs. The problem, as with many issues, is that there are simply too many people.

Pressure is going to come on woodburners tho, sooner or later (likely sooner), esp. in urban areas: they are now the leading source of particulates and a bunch of other nasties far in advance of ...all UK transport, inc.diesels.

Well, you can either sit back and say, "not my problem - look at them" or you can take the initiative, show the way and influence others. It may cut across many people's view but the UK does have influence on the World Stage still and can, and should, use that for good.
I'll take the first option.

I envisage a massive resurgence in hand knitted woolly jumpers. I already have mine. Just the thing for keeping you warm and snagging your stylus.:eek:

I can see pfm members partners posting pics of us all wearing those fisherman’s style thick wooden jumpers with our hands cupped to our ears like ageing folk singers:D

The obvious solution is that we will all have to move about a bit less and, as has been pointed out, get used to wearing a jumper indoors.

Can't see that sort of pragmatic honesty winning many votes from the plainly insane British public, though.

Man has been burning wood since the dawn of civilisation. No stroker with a clipboard from the council is ever going to stop me burning logs. The problem, as with many issues, is that there are simply too many people.

It is difficult not to agree with most of that.

Too many people where?

Had a 'Smart Meter' for a year or two... It's still there.. but we have switched supplier a couple of times since.. so it is basically redundant.

Current boiler is a 2006 install. Getting a bit flakey now... When it dies.. I shall get a relacement. I will probs be long gone before that needs replacing.

Anyway.. there's no problem. Just get those nice Chinese to fund more Nuclear for us at very advantageous prices to them.. and get the French to build them.. they're not busy these days.. no fishing..

Then we can tell that nice Mr Putin where he can stick his Gas.

It's all very simple..

My electricity smart meter is saving me money, as they read it every month. Before they used to estimate on alternate months and the high "guess" hit a step in our rather exponential electricity price tariff. The error did not average out.

If it’s allowed then I’ll buy a new gas boiler at the 11th hour and keep it stored safely until the current boiler becomes unserviceable.... failing that then I’d consider Ground source Heat Pump in the back garden

Pretty much everywhere. We are the problem.

Lots of people across the world still live with a minimal or zero carbon footprint. Modern life/expectations are the problem.

One simple example - only for the past 50-60-70 years has there been any expectation that a UK house is heated to any degree. My parents' house (built 1900, a very small end of terrace) had no heating of any description whatsoever upstairs, not even electric blankets, and a small gas fire heated the very small living room. At Chistmas there was a coal fire in the front room, which was out-of-bounds for about 355 days each year.

As mentioned above, I've never been on holiday and I am unable to appreciate why anyone sees it as essential or even a right. Something else that has come to be normal only since well after WW2.

advertisement

Back