advertisement

New Fuji X-T20 and X100F

Just seen this myself - X100F looks very expensive but I'm sure it will sell. The X-T20 looks very interesting though.

Fuji also announced the XF 50mm f2 which looks very interesting indeed. I'll be interested to see how it stacks up next to the 56/1.2. If it's able to focus closer than the 56/1.2 (to achieve similar levels of bokeh despite the smaller aperture) and focuses much quicker, then I may well be interested. The weather sealing is very appealing to me as well :)

Lefty

I like the look of both of these, but as Amar rightly says, the 100F is a wee bit pricey but will sell big. Probably be a similar in £ to the $ price when it arrives in the UK.

I would possibly consider swapping my Pro2 for one though - a camera I just haven't clicked (if you'll pardon the pun) with since getting it.

Very interesting. I love the X-T10 and as yet only really like the X-T2. Something about the high-ISO performance of the X-T10 really impresses me, whereas the X-T2 (for all its qualities) never seems to be that impressive for high ISO shots. Must be the 16->24MP thing. That said, I'll keep both of my bodies and let these pass. Better to invest in glass than take the hit so soon to upgrade the bodies (which are all great)...

Very interesting. I love the X-T10 and as yet only really like the X-T2. Something about the high-ISO performance of the X-T10 really impresses me, whereas the X-T2 (for all its qualities) never seems to be that impressive for high ISO shots. Must be the 16->24MP thing. That said, I'll keep both of my bodies and let these pass. Better to invest in glass than take the hit so soon to upgrade the bodies (which are all great)...

This is a very interesting observation, and something which has been in the back of my mind for a while, only please replace 'X-T10' with 'X-Pro1' and X-T2 with X-Pro2. The 2's IQ is wonderful - that cannot be denied - but whereas I grew to love the Pro1 (even with its oft-stubborn/quirky 'way') the Pro2 is a camera I have respect for but little affection. Not helped by the fact that my wheezing old 2008 iMac is dog slow with the 24MP files. :(

I think people complaining about the X100F price need a bit of a reality check.

X100T launch price £1099, X100F £1249, that's a 13.6% increase

XT10 launch price £499, XT20 launch price £799, that's a 60% increase

Its the XT20 that is relativly more expensive and even when bundled with lenses eg X-T10+18-55 launch £799 now XT20+18-55 £1099 - 37.5% increase

As an xe2 and x100 classic owner my first thomas got was upgrade time but you know what the brain kicked in and I'm happy again. For now. I think the x100f looks like a real step up and as every iteration comes out I think now's the time to move on but I just love my x100 and it just works.

I think people complaining about the X100F price need a bit of a reality check.

X100T launch price £1099, X100F £1249, that's a 13.6% increase

XT10 launch price £499, XT20 launch price £799, that's a 60% increase

Its the XT20 that is relativly more expensive and even when bundled with lenses eg X-T10+18-55 launch £799 now XT20+18-55 £1099 - 37.5% increase

But in fairness I think you have to blame all those nice people who voted for Brexit for at least some of that price hike - the pound has sunk horrifically against most currencies over the last year. Brexit means Brexit and imports will cost a lot more.

Fuji X100F Hands On

I'll do a fuller report in the next day or so, I'm a bit tight for time at the moment.

Background, I've still got an X100, had an X-E1, still have an X-E2, had an X-T1 and usually use an X-T2. Today I spent two hours in the company of Matt Hart and two representatives from Fuji.

The X100F, its a good camera, it combines the form factor of the X100 with a lot of the functionality of the X-T2 and the hybrid viewfinder of the X-Pro2, it's fast and very quiet, it didn't seem as fast as my X-T2 when writing to the card, but that might of been that I had a freebie FujiFilm Class 10 card (a present from today) in instead of my usual Sandisk Extreme's. But it locks onto focus fast. - The camera I used is a pre-production model and didn't have the release Firmware in it.

I took a bunch of images during our wander around Liverpool (another grey day), but the IQ looks very similar to the X-T2 (which I would expect), strong punchier colours and nice ACROS monos. I've got some RAWs and JPGs, though LR CC doesn't support it yet!

The images with the 23mm lens are as least as sharp as my X100, and in fact I think they are probably sharper (but I've always thought the X-Trans 3 was sharper than previous Fuji sensors), but its not as sharp especially at F2 as the XF23mm F1.4 at F2, but it wasn't as soft in the corners as I expected, so all good there.

Its lovely and light compared with an X-T2+23mmF1.4, but is noticeably more solid and slightly heavier than the original X100.

If you want a small light package, then its a great camera assuming that you can live with the restricted focal length, the focal length changing feature only works in JPG mode, and if your camera is set to RAW+JPG you can't even select it, you have to be JPG only.

Would I buy one, if I didn't have an X-T2 then probably yes, but having the X-T2 and the 23mm makes it a very considered decision, especially as I would be loathe to part with my original X100

Positives
AF Speed
Joystick Focus as X-T2
Battery same as interchangeable X cameras
Lightweight, compact package
With that leaf shutter, its virtually silent.

Negatives
I didn't like the ISO dial, but you can assign ISO to a function button as before
The X-T2+XF23mm exists (and I have them!)

Colour Images in Provia, mono in ACROS+R, all SOOC - they are Full Size on Flickr

DSCF7107 by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

DSCF7113 by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

DSCF7117 by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

DSCF7125 by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

DSCF7136 by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

Oooooh - thanks for the write up. Lovely images (especially the last one of the neon heart).

Looks a very interesting camera. I need to hold an X100 series camera in my hands again as it has been such a long time since I had an original X100. On paper, I must admit I don't 'get' the camera, but I know that a camera is so much more than its on paper specification. How it handles / feels is at least as important as IQ and I do like the idea of a smaller, more discreet camera that I can have on me 24/7.

Looking forward to your fuller report :)

Lefty

Excellent images and write up Mr P - you've managed to spend my money for me again! Think you've managed to convince me that I need an X100 series camera in my life! I can't justify the X100F and don't think I'd get on with the original X100 so it's between the S and T.

What are the differences and which would you recommend? Also, how much should to expect to pay?

Lefty

There's an S in the Classifieds. ~Personally Id wait though, talking to Fuji, there are a lot of pre-orders for the X100F, which means there will be a glut of trade ins S's and T's (just like there is a glut of second user X-T1s now), so wait a few weeks (I know patience for new gear isn't either one of our strong points!), but I'm sure S's and T's will be readily available shortly.

Personally, I'd go for the T between the two, better viewfinder, faster AF, more available exposure compensation, Classic Chrome, more aperture stops, electronic shutter, etc, etc

Thanks Mr P - I've got a bit of spare cash and it is sort of burning a hole in my pocket. My brain is winning at the moment and I'm managing to hold out. I did buy £120 worth of Fotospeed paper yesterday, but that doesn't count :D

Lefty

Thanks Mr P - I've got a bit of spare cash and it is sort of burning a hole in my pocket. My brain is winning at the moment and I'm managing to hold out. I did buy £120 worth of Fotospeed paper yesterday, but that doesn't count :D

Lefty

Resist the GAS attack!!!

I think I'm doing quite well, only bought 1 body in last 15 months (X-T2) and sold 2!, I've also sold 4 lenses, but I have bought a tripod and filters in last 15 months!!!

That's admirable restraint Mr P - I'm very impressed! TBH, there's very little that I need now. I just sold my XF18/2 whicj leaves me with:

X-T2 + 14/2, 16-55/2.8, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4 and 50-140/2.8.

The 14/2 and 23/1.4 get very little use, but I couldn't part with them. I am looking forward to the release of the 80/2.8 macro, which will be an automatic buy for me as long as it's not stupidly expensive. Other than that, fuji really need some long, fast telephoto primes in their line up. I would love to see a 300/4 or 200/2.8 for example.

I also think they need to fix their flash situation. In particular, low light autofocus flash assist. With DSLR speedlights, you have a red AF assist lamp which is unobtrusive and allows instant AF in near pitch black conditions. With the latest phase detect AF equipped Fuji cameras, there is no reason why a similar system would not work. Instead, we have a bright white LED on the (very expensive) EFX500 which is extremely conspicuous. I use a Nissin i60a which has no AF assist lamp at all (on Fuji). Also, the HSS doesn't work yet.

Lefty

Flash has been an issue with the Fuji's ever since the cameras were released!!!!

Obviously you can release the 60mm when the 80mm is released. But I can see why you fancy an X100 derivative most of your kit is relatively weighty!!! I've really slimmed down the bag weight and take less out, at the moment just the 14 and 23 are in my bag, back to a lightweight system!!!

advertisement

Back