advertisement

New Fuji X-E1

Sony RX1, apart from the current price obviously but then it's priced to compete with the Leica ME plus a prime lens

I don't follow the rangefinder/compact scene so always think these cameras are now FF because of the prices. I guess the Sony could be one to watch on the used market though as no doubt the Leica will keep it's value better?

I'm actually on the lookout for a nice second hand X100..

Sorted that part of the equation out by leaving my X100 with my friend whilst I went to the loo after lunch. On my return she made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I went back to the Camera World stand and queued up to spend £1k.
The amount of money changing hands was quite astounding in what is supposed to be a recession!

Rack Kit

there are only a small number of cameras with 35mm equivalent sized sensors:

Leica M9, ME, M, M-Monocrom
Nikon D600, D800, D800E, D3X, D4, D3, D3S
Sony RX1, A900, A800 and the new one with the see through mirror
Canon 1D and variants, 5D and variants

The Leicas and the RX1 are much smaller than the Nikon and Canon DSLRs, obviously, and you pay extra for the smaller form factor.

I'm actually on the lookout for a nice second hand X100..

How much do you fancy paying Mark? Mine has been well looked after and kept in the optional leather case, and kept up to date with firmware revisions etc.

Send me a PM

Cliff

Rack Kit

there are only a small number of cameras with 35mm equivalent sized sensors:

Leica M9, ME, M, M-Monocrom
Nikon D600, D800, D800E, D3X, D4, D3, D3S
Sony RX1, A900, A800 and the new one with the see through mirror
Canon 1D and variants, 5D and variants

The Leicas and the RX1 are much smaller than the Nikon and Canon DSLRs, obviously, and you pay extra for the smaller form factor.

I bought my 5D so I could do very wide angle stuff and its been great, but the X100 convinced me that lugging such a huge and cumbersome gadget around was a bit too much like hard work. The X-E1 enables me to have my "pocket" (ok, big pocket!) camera and my system camera in one object and although bigger sensors are appealing the quality available from the Fuji sensor has convinced me that the only advantage of 35mm size is wide angle. I'll try my Sigma 12-24 on the X-E1 for a short period to see if 12mm is wide enough. If it is, I'll look at the Voightlander, or maybe even the new Zeiss 12mm in Fuji X-mount, though suspect that may be pricey!

Day two with X-E1 not had chance to download anything off the camera yet, but its fast to operate, feels very solid, controls feel more robust than X100 and it retains the X100 feel. It feels light. Only complaint is that there is only one customisable button, whereas the X100 has two. I use Fn for ISO, but I'd occasionally like depth of field preview. If the higher ISO performance is ok, I may go for auto - ISO and put DoF on Fn.

Not manipulated in any way, just a very bright day! Don't look overexposed in Lightroom, but they've been turned into jgs and put into Flickr since then. Having said that, they look fine on my iPad too.

We will never know what others see on their monitors

I agree they do look a bit bright - quite possibly very natural though. I noted the coloured flower I did was darker than real life with denser colours.

We will never know what others see on their monitors

I agree they do look a bit bright - quite possibly very natural though. I noted the coloured flower I did was darker than real life with denser colours.

I was very bright indeed, full, glorious winter sunshine! Also, the bridge shot is a tiny crop from the middle of the scene, which included large areas of dark water, trees etc, so the metering (its currently set on average, though I will probably end up using spot most of the time) was trying to make the best of the limited dynamic range of digital sensors. I'm not that good at estimating these things, but I suspect I had way more DR than the camera could accurately capture. This wasn't an exposure test, it was just me pressing the button on my new toy!

The door shot probably gives an accurate record of the brightness of the day, but of course our vision system employs dynamic exposure control, so we never see the world as it really is!

My eyes sees the scene like this:

8534368099_250d3a9ed2_z_zps0a513425.jpg

Maybe i have funny eyes? ;0)

Quality looks lovely BTW.

Have fun with it! :0)

This one looks like this in Adobe Camera RAW

curve by cliffpatte, on Flickr

If you apply a half a stop underexposure compensation the curve looks a bit more normalised.

On the X-Pro1 I try to use ISO400 and DR200 and a third of a stop underexposure to minimise any blown highlights.

I think I might try that, though on my X100 I found I could usually recover what looked blown with lightroom! I'm still on the learning curve as this new sensor is different to X100 and my 5D.

Its all very tempting: I think I'd have gone for the pancake had it been available, though being of a wide angle tendency, I'm really enjoying my 18mm so far, and it seems to be a pretty impressive lens, especially for the money. I have a Zeiss 50 f1.4 and Zeiss 135 f2.8 ready to fit when my CY adapter arrives today. I then just need something around 35mm as a "standard" lens - though not sure how much I'll use it, then something really wide. I was hoping Sigma would do the 8-16 in X mount, but the rep at Focus, said they weren't going to do X mount 8-(
Zeiss are doing X mount, but their 12mm, which I'm sure will be stunning will also be expensive and really not quite wide enough for me. I use 12mm on my full frame 5D a lot. 8mm would be ideal, 10mm ok.

Its all very tempting: I think I'd have gone for the pancake had it been available, though being of a wide angle tendency, I'm really enjoying my 18mm so far, and it seems to be a pretty impressive lens, especially for the money. I have a Zeiss 50 f1.4 and Zeiss 135 f2.8 ready to fit when my CY adapter arrives today. I then just need something around 35mm as a "standard" lens - though not sure how much I'll use it, then something really wide. I was hoping Sigma would do the 8-16 in X mount, but the rep at Focus, said they weren't going to do X mount 8-(
Zeiss are doing X mount, but their 12mm, which I'm sure will be stunning will also be expensive and really not quite wide enough for me. I use 12mm on my full frame 5D a lot. 8mm would be ideal, 10mm ok.

Christ - that is wide!

I've gone down to 16mm on my 5D2 via the 16-35mm but not keen on going that wide and prefer 28mm on my 28-80 than 28 on the 16-35mm.

advertisement

Back