advertisement

New Fuji X-E1

Looks very nice, but close to £1K with a lens. Ouch. £650 body only. Small cameras are getting awfully expensive.

A rangefinder without an optical finder?

That ain't right.

Joe

Ian,

True, but the latest rangefinder that really isn't a rangefinder ain't right.

Joe

Ian,

Yeah, I got willingly suckered, but at least the X100 has a little window to look through, and at $700 secondhand it was a good deal, given the quality of the lens and cuteness of the camera.

Joe

Looks very nice, but close to £1K with a lens. Ouch. £650 body only. Small cameras are getting awfully expensive.

True, not cheap. This mirrorless thing is hotting up though, canon have their eos m body out as well - i've been thinking about a small digital camera for some time. I do keep finding other older stuff second hand that i'd rather have though, but maybe one day...

I think you guys are missing quite a few things here:

1) Not everyone needs an optical viewfinder, so this is the X-Pro1 with one feature removed
2) The Bayerless sensor is exceptional in terms of colour and detail rendition for the size, and the new price gives access to all that goodness at half the price of the X-Pro1
3) Expanding the X range, means that fuji can scale the build economies and deliver more lenses to the existing X-Pro1 owners

Cliff,

I'm all for Fuji offering something that's not just another D-SLR. :)

It's that the X-E1 seems to be an odd camera, as I assumed most people interested in one of the X-series would want an optical finder.

Joe

Joe, I'm sure their marketeers have identified the demographics. X-Pro1 is targeted at wealthy amateurs and lazy pros. the X-E1 is aimed at enthusiastic wannabees.

What Cliff said. *If* the EVF is useable, this could be a great way to use my existing Leica lenses at much less than the cost of a pro1. Although the pro1 is a great looking camera capable of great images, for me the cost is too close to a full frame dslr. It's going to be all about the handling - whether the VF is optical or not is of little consequence, as long as the VF is capable of framing accurately and useable for manual focussing. Does anyone know if it will it have focus-peaking? Could be handy for non-fuji lenses.

Surely it all depends on what you prefer and why you want a viewfinder.
As I explained to Cliff the other evening, for me the real benefit of a decent EVF is framing and the exclusion of distractions. The absolute quality of the image in the EVF is secondary for me, though clearly it needs to reach a minimum standard. Having said that I'll take a EVF with decent resolution over a a dim optical finder any day. If you can drive he EVF with a low noise signal it can be more useful in low light.

Totally agree, Robert - though the VF needs to be good enough to allow manual focussing IMO, too.

^ Yes - I was very pleasantly surprised by Jessops a few weeks ago where the young lady sales assistant knew what she was talking about, let me play about with half the cameras in the shop and matched the lower prices they offer online.

I walked away with lighter credit card and a Sony NEX-7 - which it appears the new Fuji is a direct competitor with.

I liked the concept of the digital rangefinder, and was warming to the XPro1 - albeit thought it was still a little on the large side compared to my old Konica film R/F. I liked the look of this one, and the lower cost, until I realised with no viewfinder, you'd be back with the problem of struggling to see the screen properly to frame the image in bright sunny conditions.

I liked the concept of the digital rangefinder, and was warming to the XPro1 - albeit thought it was still a little on the large side compared to my old Konica film R/F. I liked the look of this one, and the lower cost, until I realised with no viewfinder, you'd be back with the problem of struggling to see the screen properly to frame the image in bright sunny conditions.

I find the big problem with screen only cameras is the length of my arms, as I get older I get more and more long sighted.

advertisement

Back