advertisement

New Creek Evolution 100A

Smaller transformer is useful for a slim casing. Smaller heatsinks is very desirable for the internal styles so many makes prefer. A properly heatsinked class AB 100W requires a lot of fin area.
I wouldn't worry too much about the rail switching diode crossover distortions. They don't become involved until 25 W, which is pretty loud with normal speakers

Smaller transformer is useful for a slim casing. Smaller heatsinks is very desirable for the internal styles so many makes prefer. A properly heatsinked class AB 100W requires a lot of fin area.
I wouldn't worry too much about the rail switching diode crossover distortions. They don't become involved until 25 W, which is pretty loud with normal speakers

So is there much to be gained, overall, in buying an EVOLUTION 100A vs an EVOLUTION 50A, in every day use?

In absolute volume terms, not very much. Doubling power does not sound much louder.
Sound quality wise who knows until the new amplifier has been heard and tested.

What I suspect is that the BOM cost of the new amplifier is probably only ~25% higher than the 50A as the most expensive parts - case, display and power supply are comparable

The problem is that everybody and their dog are giving their class D etc. technologies new names just to differentiate themselves. "Class T" is just Tripath's registered trade name for their class D stuff.

The basic audio classes are still A, B and D, and everything else is variations of those 3 (OK, AB can be considered a class of its own). Class G and H are both just AB but with variable supply voltages.

I am ignoring C, E and F that is mainly used in radio transmitters.

Thanks for that post - cleared my head somewhat.

It is according to Creek.

http://www.creekaudio.com/integrated-amplifiers/evolution-50a/

But that's for the EVOLUTION 50A.

The EVOLUTION 100A 'uses a massive 300 Watt, low profile, toroidal mains transformer'.

http://www.creekaudio.com/integrated-amplifiers/evolution-100a/
Yes, but that's just marketing puff. In a previous life I used to have to edit the nonsense they spouted before it hit the retail pack, if I hadn't we would have ended up being prosecuted. As it was we once ended up on Watchdog because our European operation decided they didn't need to use my services and could make as many false claims as they wanted. That one cost us a marketing director. Oops.:eek: Ah well, someone had to take the fall for that one, and he's only a marketing bod.:p

My Denon PMA-850 has (I think) a 420VA for it's 85W output. It's not what you'd call a compact design though.

A Class (A)B amp's are most efficient at highest power - 1/3 power is about there most inefficient operating point, and hence why thermal tests are performed around the 1/3 power level (see the table in the following link):-

http://sound.westhost.com/efficiency.htm

Textbook figures for ClassB quote efficiency of about 78%, however when total design losses are taken into consideration, then 70% at full power is more typical for ClassB designs.

Robert's Meridian with its 800W transformer for 100W is well overrated (not a bad thing, and I’m sure one of the reasons it’s a good sounding unit) – but there’s no technical reason for such a large transformer to meet the 100W spec.

People often don’t realise that, doubling the amplifier power level (say 50W to 100W) only results in an acoustic level increase of 3dB – personally I’d rather see higher peak current capability then worry about higher voltage swing (and why a larger transformer is often beneficial).

personally I’d rather see higher peak current capability then worry about higher voltage swing (and why a larger transformer is often beneficial).

Interesting. IIRC, the NVA guy (hope I'm not breaching AUP by mentioning that brand?) used to argue that current sag was more of a problem that voltage sag.

Interesting. IIRC, the NVA guy (hope I'm not breaching AUP by mentioning that brand?) used to argue that current sag was more of a problem that voltage sag.

Well high peak current will directly result in Voltage sag... at the end of the day the high peak currents are supplied via the reservoir capacitors - the transformer will saturate at much lower currents..

If I had to choose between larger transformer or larger PSU Caps I'd go for the larger PSU Caps - the equation is more complex, but in a simplistic view the size of the caps is more important then the size of the transformer IMO.

Unless the transformer saturates, then longer term thermal heating limits the power available from a transformer - with Music type signal, being able to handle short term peaks is more of a requirement then continues power.

Under performing folded metal internal heatsinks are the weakness of several budget designs. Use the wrong average volume and they get really hot.
Unfortunately reviewers would rather see a bullet proof front panel than adequate cooling

I have had to raise my Cambridge Azur 640A feet to improve airflow

I had a bit of a listen to the 100A at the HiFi show in Bonn at the weekend. It was driving a pair of the new Harbeth SHL5 plus and fed by the Creek CD player. The combination was certainly producing very good dynamics and impressive detail. Also had a good chat with Mike Creek who explained a bit about the features. An interesting point was that he said he has run out of MOSFETs now, hence these bipolar based designs (so there will be no more Destiny amps, could be a good time to go looking for a 'discontinued' deal). I would say it is not the Creek house sound, it's a little more analytical.

I previously owned the creek destiny 2 and have just purchased the creek evolution 100. Early impressions are good. Spades of detail and pitch black background. Although I wouldn't want to comment any further just yet. I shall post my full impressions soon

advertisement

Back