advertisement

New Creek Evolution 100A

Do you think that the RUBY dac module will be the same one which will end up into the K1/K2 speakers active module?

I love the "to maintain a family resemblance" to justify recycling the switches and display

UKP1,000 is just too much though. Creek used to be about good performance at not much above budget price

UKP1,000 is just too much though. Creek used to be about good performance at not much above budget price

It's powerful though - 110 watts into 8 Ohms, 170 into 4 isn't a budget spec. Looks like it can kick out some amperage to.

There's one hell of a lot of presumption going on here. Any of you above actually heard this amp? Please post your impressions of it if you have.

It's powerful though - 110 watts into 8 Ohms, 170 into 4 isn't a budget spec. Looks like it can kick out some amperage to.

Looking at the Creek website:-

The EVOLUTION 50A uses a massive 250 Watt toroidal mains transformer.

Consumption
(at full power) 350 Watts.

Continuous Current >8.5 Amps (sine wave)

Max Current >26 Amps, current burst into 0.5 Ohms

The EVOLUTION 100A uses a massive 300 Watt, low profile, toroidal mains transformer.

Consumption
(at full power) 500 Watts

Max Current +/- 26 Amps, current burst into 0.5 Ohms

Yes, I saw the same. The new 100A is supposed to be class G, though. So giving it the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's not directly comparable with the 50A in terms of power efficiency.

But even compared with the Arcam A39, which is also class G, the power supply looks very small.

The case is too small for much more.
Class G allows more power than AB with the same heatsink capacity, which is likely the limiting factor

Amps tend to be priced on relative performance so they must think it will sound like a £1,000 amp , however it appears to not look like a £1,000 amp which could be a problem.

The 50A has a big power supply for its rating. The only other integrated that I found with a comparable power supply is the Arcam A19. I also checked other amplifiers, and all the rest I looked into, with similar and even higher power ratings, had smaller power supplies.

The 100A, on the other hand, seems to implement a smallish supply for its rating—rather, quite small. Even taking into account that it's class G, according to the product page this only applies to the first 25 watts. And at the end of the day, it provides current similar as the smaller 50A.

In practical terms I suppose that this may impair the capability of the amplifier to drive low impedance speakers loud. It could also be that they have made some break-through in terms of power efficiency. Or even that there is a typo in the figures.

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to a review of the 100A, and listening to it when the opportunity comes.

And while we are at it, whatever happened to the Ruby DAC module?!

Crikey, we're up to 'class G' now? What the heck is that? I have to admit I stopped understanding after class A, A/B and B. I've got a T-Amp upstairs (an Amptastic Mini-1) which is excellent, but I've not the foggiest idea how it works!

Looking at the Creek website:-

The EVOLUTION 50A uses a massive 250 Watt toroidal mains transformer.

Consumption
(at full power) 350 Watts.

Max Current >26 Amps, current burst into 0.5 Ohms

The EVOLUTION 100A uses a massive 300 Watt, low profile, toroidal mains transformer.

Consumption
(at full power) 500 Watts

Max Current +/- 26 Amps, current burst into 0.5 Ohms

250 VA is not a massive mains toroidal transformer. My amplifier is also 110 watts 8 ohms and has a 500 VA transformer, 80,000 mfd caps. damping factor measured at 4O Hz 230

The problem is that everybody and their dog are giving their class D etc. technologies new names just to differentiate themselves. "Class T" is just Tripath's registered trade name for their class D stuff.

The basic audio classes are still A, B and D, and everything else is variations of those 3 (OK, AB can be considered a class of its own). Class G and H are both just AB but with variable supply voltages.

I am ignoring C, E and F that is mainly used in radio transmitters.

The problem is that everybody and their dog are giving their class D etc. technologies new names just to differentiate themselves. "Class T" is just Tripath's registered trade name for their class D stuff.

Um, no.

Crikey, we're up to 'class G' now? What the heck is that? I have to admit I stopped understanding after class A, A/B and B. I've got a T-Amp upstairs (an Amptastic Mini-1) which is excellent, but I've not the foggiest idea how it works!
Class G uses 4 rails instead of 2. This allows the AB like amplifier to use the low rails at normal levels and switch to the high rails when the voltage swing goes too high. This avoids class ABs terrible efficiency at low levels
See this explanation http://sound.westhost.com/articles/class-g.htm

advertisement

Back