advertisement

New cartridge < £500 for Technics SL1200G

keiron99

pfm Member
I have an Audio Technical 150MLX cartridge on my Technics SL1200G. It goes through a Lehmann Black Cube SE II and out of Harbeth M30.1 speakers at the other end.

The stylus is knackered. It's 5 years old, and despite being set up properly and everything kept clean I'm getting distortion.

So I'm in the market for a new cartridge but utterly bewildered by the choice and the complicated mathematical calculations about resonant frequencies, effective mass etc. Then there's the MM vs MC debate.

The first 2 I looked at were an Ortofon 2M Black plug and play - I liked the idea of the simplicity. But it's too heavy.

Then I read about the AT 33 something or other, but it needs shims and a thicker mat or something.

So how on earth do I know what is mechanically compatible?

I'm personally not fussed whether it's MM or MC - should it matter? I just want it to sound nice, track superbly (I've often had a problem with that), no sibilance, keep groove roar to a minimum.

And I can't quite bring myself to spend more than £500...maybe about £539 as a max for the AT OC9XSH which I've read about.

Recommendations for cartridges you know work with my equipment from a technical standpoint would be very much appreciated!

2M Black to heavy ? you shoud have the 2 extra tone arm weights that come with the 1200G ?
I'm personally not fussed whether it's MM or MC - should it matter? I just want it to sound nice, track superbly (I've often had a problem with that), no sibilance, keep groove roar to a minimum.

MM carts are normally more warm sounding some say coloured
MC carts are cleaner more clinical sounding
Re sibilance sometimes this is on the recorded LP , not much you can do to remove it , A bad pressing disc , again groove roar could be a worn out LP or the tracking weight all wrong

Thanks, yes the 2M black pnp version requires the additional weight. Maybe it's just me...but that does not sound ideal to me. I could go for the regular version but anyway... £500 plus seems like an awful lot to spend on an MM. Maybe I'm just out of touch and my thinking is muddled? (Head's in a spin tbh, I am sans-cartridge and I simply don't know which way to turn!)

2M Black PNP ( 20gram ) on my 1200G & sounds excellent Technics demo this combo at shows
New 2M Black LVB 250 @ £ 829 Stylus can be used as a future upgrade

rmaf-technics-0551.jpg

Thanks, yes the 2M black pnp version requires the additional weight. Maybe it's just me...but that does not sound ideal to me. I could go for the regular version but anyway... £500 plus seems like an awful lot to spend on an MM. Maybe I'm just out of touch and my thinking is muddled? (Head's in a spin tbh, I am sans-cartridge and I simply don't know which way to turn!)

How can it not sound ideal Technicks provide the weights just for this purpose

I’ve run an AT33PTG/II without issue on both Technics 1200GR and 1200G, it would be my preference within your budget, I’ve experimented with a number at the price point during COVID. I’ve used it with a Funk mat 5mm and also with the stock Technics thin and older 6mm thick mats and an Oyaide 12 with no discernible issues, a number of headshells too. The Funk is preferred as it is the least prone to static.

2M Black PNP ( 20gram ) on my 1200G & sounds excellent Technics demo this combo at shows
New 2M Black LVB 250 @ £ 829 Stylus can be used as a future upgrade

rmaf-technics-0551.jpg

Do you have the additional weight added? How's it sounding? I had read somewhere earlier that this cartridge tends to exaggerate surface noise. Is that true?

I’ve run an AT33PTG/II without issue on both Technics 1200GR and 1200G, it would be my preference within your budget, I’ve experimented with a number at the price point during COVID. I’ve used it with a Funk mat 5mm and also with the stock Technics thin and older 6mm thick mats and an Oyaide 12 with no discernible issues, a number of headshells too. The Funk is preferred as it is the least prone to static.
Did it require a spacer between the headshell and the cartridge?

Wouldn't any of the Shibata or Micro-line etc. Audio Technica VM5/7xx replacement stylus fit on the AT150 ?

AT VM540ML/H at around £250 is a plug ‘n play cartridge that comes pre-fitted in a headshell that fits the SL1200G perfectly. It’s amazed me this year on my G.

No spacer required, curious why would you need a spacer on a Techy for a 2M or AT?
I read on another forum that you need a spacer for the AT 33; you need the additional weight on the arm for the plug and play version of the 2M Black (Ortofon say that themselves).

I read on another forum that you need a spacer for the AT 33; you need the additional weight on the arm for the plug and play version of the 2M Black (Ortofon say that themselves).
I get why you might need the additional weight that comes with the deck just not why you’d need a spacer, on a Rega I can see why folk use them but not on your G

I have ATOC9XML on mine without issues and have the same speakers.
Yes I've been looking into this one. (Decision paralysis has struck!). Btw, I notice that AT sell directly from their website but they are no cheaper than any of the other dozens of dealers that come up when I google. However there is a discount code box on the AT website when you go to checkout...anyone any idea how to get a code?

Theoretically at least the PNP Black at 20g maybe a be a bit on the heavy side in the Technics arm as I believe the effective arm mass without a cartridge and Headshell is 4.5g that puts overall effective arm mass at approx 24.5g without the heavier counter weight. That should not make much difference as that weight will be closer to the pivot. The Black has a compliance of 22cu that would put the cartridge resonance at 6.8hz that is outside the normal recommended range of 8 - 12hz.

Arm Eff Mass is 12g

Headshell Mass is 7.6g

2M Black is 7.2g so fine using supplied headshell - 8Hz?

20g is fine when using the small aux weight according to manual 18.7-25.1

Go for an AT that you like the look of in your budget. Don't worry about anything else. Forget about the shim. You will be delighted.

Why not just get a new stylus for the AT150 MLX? It is a very good cartridge assuming the phono stage can cope with its very low capacitance requirements.

advertisement

Back