advertisement

New cartridge < £500 for Technics SL1200G

i would add my support for the AT line as others have mentioned here.

If you like what the 150MLX does - and its a very fine cartridge - then simply buy its updated equivalent, the VMN40ML, which is the stylus part of the 540/740 range that AT do. I don't have the 1200G but on a 1210 techy its a synergy match made in heaven IMHO. I also have the same phono stage as you and went through quite a few carts including some decent MC carts to settle on this combo. I also heard the more expensive AT33PTG and it sounded neutral and smooth but a bit tame in comparison to the
VM 540ML . You should be able to the stylus up for around £ 185 new.

You can just snap this in to the existing cart body of the 150MLX so no alignment issues. But if you fancied switching around you could get one of the fixed slot headshells like the AT MG10 headshell and that should give no alignment issues with that cart.

2M Black PNP ( 20gram ) on my 1200G & sounds excellent Technics demo this combo at shows
New 2M Black LVB 250 @ £ 829 Stylus can be used as a future upgrade

rmaf-technics-0551.jpg

Hi Scott @daytona600. I hadn't appreciated you were Scott Nangle of SNVINYL.

Thanks for the advice via emails over the weekend. I placed an order and paid for the AT OC9 XSH on Sunday. However, I've not heard anything from you since then, not got a reply to my emails and your phone seems to be out of order!

Can you please confirm that it has been posted to me?

With a debit card. That's looking like a big mistake. I honestly don't know where to begin explaining what's happened...it's shipped / it's not shipped / shipping notice / refund sent / "don't ever contact me again" etc. etc. Incomprehensible emails. Totally chaotic.

I really wish I'd googled and sought out reviews before I got into this.

Well this is turning into a disaster...I do hope I haven't been scammed, sadly it's looking that way.
The seller in question is banned from another forum for the same reason

Full explanation below

order paid monday
order shipped wednesday for next day delivery , tracking number sent by text & email
you sent several emails about above and a PM via PFM
I replied again there would be a slight delay due to current family crisis , please be patient you will get your order in few days

you sent emails like this one below , even after several emails explaining again the current situation

please bear with us , as you did no comprehend what a family current family crisis is
this time I fully stated the reason was
my father just died , my uncle is in hospital & my aunt is in hospital
you still sent further demanding emails like one below which i find totally unacceptable

Your order was refunded & carrier was instructed not to collect the goods
as we would not be working that day as we have more important issues to deal with at present
I am sorry but this is unacceptable.
You sent me a tracking number. But it's still showing as not having been dispatched by you.
Then you tell me you have refunded me, but I have not received a refund.
Which is it?
Have you sent it - in which case where is it?
Or have you refunded me - in which case where's my money?

Scott, what you’ve written above is not representative at all.

As I said in my email, you have my deepest sympathies. I wasn’t to know what had happened when I emailed you, I simply wanted acknowledgement you’d received my order and when it would be shipped - not a lot to ask. Your replies were, and still are, unintelligible.

Then you emailed it was shipped, as far as I could decipher. I certainly got no text as you've said above - I don't even think you have my number (or a phone yourself, for that matter). Clearly, contrary to what you said, it had NOT shipped. S

I’ve also received no refund, or notice of a refund, but imagine that would take a few days anyway.

Seems my experiences are not uncommon. One doesn’t have to spend much time on google, review sites, discogs or even companies house.

I hope that my refund comes through in a timely manner for everyone's benefit and then that’s the end of the matter and this thread.

Oh no what a disaster - I logged on to see what you had decided on cartridge wise and read through the horror that’s taken place :(

Refund the money, simple as.

My advice would be an AT too btw.. I run an older AT MC on my 1200 mk2 and it just bounces along with energy that’s intoxicating.

I placed an order with Audio Visual Online earlier for an OC9 XSH. Lovely to speak to on the phone. Signed up to their newsletter for a tenner off. Placed the order online. Now on its way to me, due to arrive tomorrow. Just the way things should be done.

I placed an order with Audio Visual Online earlier for an OC9 XSH. Lovely to speak to on the phone. Signed up to their newsletter for a tenner off. Placed the order online. Now on its way to me, due to arrive tomorrow. Just the way things should be done.

I've used them for bits and bobs, including cartridges, and always had exactly the kind of experience you describe.

I'd love to try one of the new OC9 on my 1200GR, either ML or SH
These might be my budget alternative to a Hana Shibata

My OC9XSH arrived early this morning and I've got it installed (taking extended tea breaks from my desk!). Too early to comment on sound (which I'm hopeless at articulating anyway) but from just a few test tracks it sounds fantastic.

I was pleased to see I didn't need nuts - the holes in the cartridge are threaded making installation much easier. I've never had a cartridge like that before. Wasn't entirely sure which bolts to use - does it really matter how far into the cartridge they go? (I just used the mid length ones).

As I've been removing and reinstalling the headshell, the rubber washer between the shell and the arm has become knackered and split. I don't seem to be able to find a replacement anywhere. In fact I was wondering what it's for at all? Why would you want something squidgy between the headshell and the arm, even though I imagine any movement to be negligible?

Yikes, what a journey! Sounds like you've ended up with a good cartridge for your deck in the end, I'm extrapolating from an OC9ML/II on a modded 1210 MKII but I think the fundamentals of what make it work should be the same. IIRC the stock headshell for the MKII is a bit too light and I use a 10g Ortofon one and (I think) the 10g auxiliary weight. But I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the stock head shell for the G is heavier so probably all good. Whichever bolts should be fine if they fit. The washer is as everything in this hobby a point of contention, you can source replacements on eBay and what not, also "upgraded" ones :rolleyes:, other people throw them away! ...so if the headshell feels secure and you think it sounds good I wouldn't worry too much...

advertisement

Back