advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

Do you remember when Michell released a new bearing upgrade for the Gyrodek and there was a huge furore and loads of people got really upset?

Me either..

If you have a pre-Cirkus LP12 with a worn bearing you have no choice but to buy a kit which is expensive, includes parts you do not need and will alter the sound of your turntable. Replacing the worn part like for like is not an option.

I’ve seen a lot of LP12 bearings in my time, really loads, and they tend to be in very good condition unless they have been abused e.g. run dry, the deck transported with the inner platter in place etc. It is a very good quality precision-machined part with a very simple job for which it is well specified. The new bearings will no doubt flush many really nice Cirkus and pre-Cirkus bearings out onto the used market from folk who just want an ‘upgrade’ rather than there being any actual issue with their existing bearing.

Well, there are people selling LP12 bearings of every vintage on eBay.

I bought a used bearing off eBay years ago. Described as excellent condition. It was a bin job.

All pre-Cirkus bearings are now close to thirty years old. Your chances of finding a used one in good condition are slim.

Do you remember when Michell released a new bearing upgrade for the Gyrodek and there was a huge furore and loads of people got really upset?

Me either..
Yes, and even after all of these years, the Michell bearing upgrade is only £155., and places the vertical centre of gravity of the suspended mass exactly where it should be.

Borrowed from elsewhere, 3 generations of bearings:

LP12_2.thumb.jpg.8338d0a59e723dd8c825bfe51ef58308.jpg

This is the last time I'm going to say it.

If you have a pre-Cirkus LP12 with a worn bearing you have no choice but to buy a kit which is expensive, includes parts you do not need and will alter the sound of your turntable. Replacing the worn part like for like is not an option.

Which parts don't you need? If you wanted a new standard bearing you'd need a new subplatter. The belt and springs are incidental in terms of the overall price.

Replacing an original worn out bearing with a new original bearing (if it were available) would also alter the sound of your turntable. Hopefully.

I bought a used bearing off eBay years ago. Described as excellent condition. It was a bin job.

All pre-Cirkus bearings are now close to thirty years old. Your chances of finding a used one in good condition are slim.

Yes, fair comment.

Yes, and even after all of these years, the Michell bearing upgrade is only £155., and places the vertical centre of gravity of the suspended mass exactly where it should be.
This is what I was thinking! Although in relation to Mr Pig’s criticism, I don’t think Michell sell previous versions - so if users of older Gyros want to replace their non-inverted bearing they’re out of luck.

Reading this you would think we were frogmarched into a linn dealer arm behind back and told you will buy this you will listen and you will think this better and then you will buy it OK.!!!
Was speaking to my dealer today, he said he will order a model with new bearing and demo it side by side with same spec but old bearing, come in have a listen and "You" decide if you think the improvement is worth opening your wallet, or walk out quite contented happy with what you have.
Why the emotion, the slagging Linn, we the hifi buying public have the control, not dealers not manufacturers.
More fool anyone buying blind, or on hype or by manipulation of dealer. Use your ears and make your decision.

More a bit of fun than emotion here.

Although, having been connected to the industry in the past, it is the Linn dealers whom have been frogmarched. Linn deserve having the piss taken out of them for this alone.

Interesting design. Instead of the three bolts that pass through the subchassis with current and older bearing housings, it simply has three studs, and the upper nut screws down tightly and clamps either side of the subchassis.

Mick

Not many manufacturers still make any version of a product from over 40 years ago let alone one that is largely interchangeable with current parts (not counting look alike 'retro' items). On top of that they allow you to fit new insides and then give them a 5 year warranty.

Whilst I don't agree with Linn's policy of setting prices by the way things sound rather than what they cost to develop and make ('this sounds good we'll sell it for 3 grand even though it only costs £100 to make'), the Lingo 4 came in at the same price as the Lingo 3. Their prices also include dealer fitting.

I've no doubt that the new bearing will sound noticeably 'better' than the old one. Whether it's to your taste or worth the cost you are free to decide. Personally I'm rather attached to my now 34 year old deck. The motor and psu are still under warranty, and if £750 gets me an improvement that's to my taste it's surely miles cheaper than trading the whole lot in for a different turntable every 10 years.

Oh and I think there are firms that will refurb the original bearings. The old decks do sound 'of the time' which is fine if that's what you want. Not too much of a challenge to keep one going compared to old cars.

^That is why I still rate the LP12 as one of the finest hi-fi turntables on the planet. It really is a design classic even if its design was an evolution of tried and tested technology (AR XA, TD-150, RD11 etc). That it is still fully serviceable best part of 50 years on really is to Linn’s credit. I can think of few products that have stayed in production so long other than Klipschorns (which have been around since 1948)!

advertisement

Back