advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

Does it also come with little horsies that go up and down and all around?:)

Edit-Thought I had better add a smiley just in case. Personally, I think it is just fine and dandy that Linn is still doing something for the LP12 and their kit. Nice to see something that has longevity, maybe at a price, of course. I think many good points made above.

If Linn hadn't banged on so much in the early days, trying to justify sloppy screws and other poor design choices and pronouncing no need for upgrades then you lot wouldn't be so anti upgrades.

They wanted to keep you locked into current product and spread FUD about any upgrades to limit the 3rd party market and as a result you all have your own idea of what the fruit box should be and what newness is acceptable.

It's just a platform for spinning records, like a car it's up to you what driving experience you want and what accessories will deliver that. Ivor knows nothing more about what sound you like that anyone else does and considerably less about which ticks your boxes than you each do personally.

Just accept it's a business and that they arent the source of truth and buy it or dont. It's just a record player why the need for emotional investment?

At least it will be easy to have indistiguishable 'old bearing' and 'new bearing' versions of LP12s next to eachother for blind A-B demonstration of the improvement in sound quality.

Ime of bearing mods, unless your current one is pitted and seriously worn the effect will be marginal at best. Were it large theyd have quoted new rumble figures.

... any coating that will, inevitably, eventually wear off (as all coatings exposed to friction do).

Whaaat?!!?

Diamonds are forever ... forever ... forever. Diamonds are forever ... forever ... forever. Don't know where you learnt your stuff but Shirley Bassey taught me everything I know.

I Cirkused in the mid 90s because my original bearing was knackered, when my Cirkus is knackered I guess I will Karousel, until then, more likely to Tranquility.

@TimF I damn well hope it has little horses bobbing up and down, I think that would go very well with the sKittles colours.

http://www.audiophile.no/en/news/item/2641-linn-karousel-en

Given almost any LP12 upgrade costs ~£1K, I am tempted at £750 for my older deck. I'd been considering a Radikal upgrade when funds allow anyway as the old AC motor has the classic LP12 "click" only audible in quiet musical passages and with low amp volumes
Easy fix for £0.00. There's a spring clip on the motor spindle, prise it off with a screwdriver and keep it somewhere safe (like the bin). Your wok-wok-wok will stop.

http://www.audiophile.no/en/news/item/2641-linn-karousel-en

Given almost any LP12 upgrade costs ~£1K, I am tempted at £750 for my older deck. I'd been considering a Radikal upgrade when funds allow anyway as the old AC motor has the classic LP12 "click" only audible in quiet musical passages and with low amp volumes
Given that any LP12 upgrade costs ~1k, a used pre-Cirkus at £600-1000 makes very good sense. If you feel the need for an upgrade get a Garrard 401 (£500-1000) which will be better timed and lack the mid bass hump that is part of the LP12s charm. Decide which (or both) you prefer, play records.

I'm curious as to what 'stability' the new bearing mount will achieve? I'd love to see it expressed in nM per degree, given the paltry 50g sideways loading.

If Linn hadn't banged on so much in the early days, trying to justify sloppy screws and other poor design choices and pronouncing no need for upgrades then you lot wouldn't be so anti upgrades.

I'm not anti upgrades at all. In fact I think it's great that the LP12 is so flexible a platform with so many options. What I find sad is Linn's habit of charging frankly ridiculous amounts of money for their upgrades and doing everything they can to get you to buy them, including giving you no choice.

What I find sad is Linn's habit of charging frankly ridiculous amounts of money for their upgrades and doing everything they can to get you to buy them, including giving you no choice.

Who has no choice? I see nothing to get annoyed about here, its just another small design-revision to a classic turntable that has been in production since 1972 and undergone many, many incremental changes over the decades. No one is forced to buy it, it doesn’t seem unreasonably priced compared to much modern audio (as I understand it this is a full bearing, subchassis and suspension kit), and many folk will welcome it if it proves good sonically. It will also have the huge benefit of flushing out many perfectly good earlier bearings onto the second hand market which can be used to restore/refurbish other LP12s that are a bit worn.

PS In many ways I envy Linn ownership and wish the TD-124, Garrards etc had a similar level of factory support and supply chain. Despite a buoyant third party and absurdly priced boutique market there are still parts of these decks that you need to cannibalise others to obtain.

Who has no choice?

This is the last time I'm going to say it.

If you have a pre-Cirkus LP12 with a worn bearing you have no choice but to buy a kit which is expensive, includes parts you do not need and will alter the sound of your turntable. Replacing the worn part like for like is not an option.

advertisement

Back