advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

The sound:
Fairly subtle in some ways, until you realise that there is more dynamics, huge bass when on the recording and an absence when it isn’t one the recording. Quiet passages / surface noise is lower. Layering of vocal dubs is more apparent as are tones and intonations in voices and instruments. The different ‘notes’ of drums are more apparent, definitely a more defined upper bass/mid. Generally a very refined ever so slightly smoother sound.
Thank you for the review. Very informative, more definition in upper/mid bass is very promising as are intonations in vocals.
Interesting that it refines and smooths the overall sound. Also great that you have another Lp12 there to compare and give you more obvious a/b test's. Enjoy!

Why do you 'need' to change the sub chassis to use a cirkus?

The Cirkus bearing will not physically fit on the old subchassis. They doubled up the thickness of the metal where the flange goes and they also made the flange slightly wider so it will not fit in the cut-out on the old subchassis.

The only difference between the old and Cirkus subchassis are this and the fact that the brace is seam welded rather than glued.

They don't wear out if kept clear of contamination, mines also 30 old years old and had no dimple or issues last time it was checked a few years back. Another piece of miss information for Mr P.

I wasn't planning to contribute to this thread again, but I do agree with the above.
Mine is an original model from '81, with no issues ( or dimples !), regularly checked and serviced.

I'm confused, the flange doesnt hit the ribs on the original chassis, do you mean the stub that extends through the hole is a larger diameter?

Mine is an original model from '81, with no issues ( or dimples !)..

If that bearing is forty years old and has been used regularly there is no way there will be zero wear on the tip of the spindle. It's just not possible. The entire weight of the platter is rotating on an area smaller than a pinhead.

I'm confused, the flange doesn't hit the ribs on the original chassis, do you mean the stub that extends through the hole is a larger diameter?

Yip. I just doesn't fit. If it did the platter would sit a couple of millimeters higher too, which is not that big a deal but yeah, you can't do it. Not without modification.

If that bearing is forty years old and has been used regularly there is no way there will be zero wear on the tip of the spindle. It's just not possible. The entire weight of the platter is rotating on an area smaller than a pinhead.

You could argue that if the bearing is 40 minutes old it’s not possible for there to be zero wear on the tip of the spindle.

That’s a very alternative choice of speakers on what is otherwise a very flat earth system?

Was that my system you referred to? If so hadn’t really thought about, and I’m Not so sure. I don’t consider the 272 a flat earth pre amp As it streams and presents music differently to previous Naim preamps. I auditioned several speakers along the way and settled on the Fact.8 as a long term proposition. And they look great in grey poplar!

Yes I was surprised by the Linn/Naim/PMC

I must admit my first thought when you described the Karousel as a subtle improvement was that the PMCs were veiling the upgrade.

Or maybe you’re just hard to impress?

[QUOTE="
I must admit my first thought when you described the Karousel as a subtle improvement was that the PMCs were veiling the upgrade.

Or maybe you’re just hard to impress?[/QUOTE]

Cheeky!
I have found the PMC’s pretty open and more than capable of revealing differences. But in any case I am hard to impress, well spotted.

So this dimple is smaller than a pinhead so that you need a magnifying glass to see it.

You know what? I don't care because the bottom line is that I still like the sound. That's all that matters.

I don't know if what you're saying is true or not. It doesn't matter. It still sounds good. And everything you say isn't going to change that.

So this dimple is smaller than a pinhead so that you need a magnifying glass to see it. You know what? I don't care because the bottom line is that I still like the sound. That's all that matters.

On a forty year old deck the dimple will be clearly visible but you still need to look for it, or feel it. It might be a millimeter across on a badly worn tip but it doesn't matter. This is the bit your bearing is running on, not the shiny looking area around it, and there will be a corresponding wear patch on the thrust plate.

I'm not saying an LP12 with bit of wear on the bearing is junk or can't sound good. All turntable bearings wear and they still work, it's only part of the sound, but a worn bearing isn't going to sound as good as a tight, smooth one. It's one of the reasons upgrading the bearing works. You're getting a brand new bearing and replacing a worn one.

Yes I was surprised by the Linn/Naim/PMC

Or maybe you’re just hard to impress?

Wow. I can't guffaw loud enough to do that comment justice.

Clearly has no idea how f’n hard tool steel is...... worn or run in? Well feel free to speculate for another 20 pages.

Fact 8 are very revealing, I also use them, with full Klimax LP12 (and KDS) Kontrol/Solo dynamic. There’s nothing Linn has made passive that I would replace them with.

Of course theres the school of thought that says a larger contact patch on two surfaces that have been polishing each other for many years will only result in a reduced surface pressure due to increased load surface and hence less noise.

It's not worn out, it's just running in.

Of course there's the school of thought that says a larger contact patch on two surfaces that have been polishing each other for many years will only result in a reduced surface pressure due to increased load surface and hence less noise.

Really? Maybe you could share this with turntable manufacturers so that they could make them that way out of the box?

advertisement

Back