advertisement

New ATCs!

6 months old for 5k! thats good, ive seen a couple of pairs older than that for sale at the moment and they are asking 5k. A couple of years old should be around 4k imo.
They are now nearly £8k new. Not normally that many for sale 2nd hand.
Hi, I was looking at a C5C on eBay it was £900. I spoke to I think Peter Guppy at ATC he gave me information on them but also stated that as an old model parts would be soon difficult to get. I thought at that point I probably should get newer active’s.
I then spoke via email to Ben Lily, asking what are the most recent serial numbers. And I think you just have to wait, at the time they’d had just gone into the 11,000s. Mine are mid 11’s. On eBay at the moment there’s some in the same area but also some in the 10’s wanting similar money so you have to be careful.
I know if I’d have said to the Financial Director that I want to drop £7600 on a pair I know what answer she’d have given me🤨

ATC is relatively overpriced in USA, as is Rega. It hurts to see costs in UK in excess of exchange rate for sure. But I bought it anyway and I appreciate supporting local.

New SCM40 is $6K
New 19A is $7000
New 40A is $10,990.
New 50A is $$17,490 for the pro model and $25K for the ASLT
Hi, Indeed if I actually go to the next step it’ll have to be from inheritance 😮🤦🏻🤣

Odd this - I guess I never dug deep enough: only visited ASR a handful of times a few years back when I was looking at cheap DACS.
Although the tech stuff meant nowt to me, his reviews seemed reasoned, restrained, urbane even, in terms of the written text.
I got the impression they were methodical to a fault.

Maybe ASR's changed a lot for the worse in recent years- most things have in terms of social skills - but what I can't help but notice on just about every other audio site I butterfly about on is an awful lot of 'vitriol' directed towards 'Amir' (Certainly unrelentingly dismissive - reminds me a bit of the attitude towards Bose!).
He's up there with 'oligarchs' it seems, poor chap.

and tbh, I don't really have a problem with what hi-fi's reviews - short and superficial I suppose (?) but present some (subjective) info, for free. You could be cynical about them in terms of being little more than placed adverts, but ... take it or leave it land.

Odd this - I guess I never dug deep enough: only visited ASR a handful of times a few years back when I was looking at cheap DACS.
Although the tech stuff meant nowt to me, his reviews seemed reasoned, restrained, urbane even, in terms of the written text.
I got the impression they were methodical to a fault.

Maybe ASR's changed a lot for the worse in recent years- most things have in terms of social skills - but what I can't help but notice on just about every other audio site I butterfly about on is an awful lot of 'vitriol' directed towards 'Amir' (Certainly unrelentingly dismissive - reminds me a bit of the attitude towards Bose!).
He's up there with 'oligarchs' it seems, poor chap.
I think a lot of the vitriol is from Amir calling the site Audio Science Review, and taking lots of (sometimes questionable) measurements, and claiming to be scientific. He is an engineer but his ‘science’, methodologies and results are rather unscientific and then taken as gospel on the forum.

It claims to be science but looks more like religion these days (imho).

Shame as I fundamentally love the idea of publishing independent measured data to look at equipment. The way Amir distills it into a Sinad score though is not really any more useful than a 0-5 star rating from a group listening test.

When you understand the understated nature of ATC then you get it. In house built mostly everything from R & D that performs to the highest of standards. ASR from what I’ve read could actually turn you away from really excellent sounding kit. When you’re listening to stuff do you think about all the graphs and readings ASR shows. I think not.
I know individual tastes differ but perhaps after slating a product Amir could say as an example “ Forgetting tests for a minute this ******* sounds great” or whatever he actually thought of the product.

He doesn’t listen to most of it, not music anyway. Enjoying actual music is unscientific.
Like when you go to show and someone is saying this 100k set sounds better than your Granddad's transistor in his shed, Well it wouldn't to him🤨

Update after 2 months0 the speakers are really great! They responded well to some pretty minor changes in positioning are great at low or high volume. I don't really buy into break0in, unless it's ears or cognitive dissonance, but they do sound richer than the did on Day1 .

BTW the Wiim Pro Plus is superb, either VFM or just quality,

If you have a wooden floor - especially it it is floorboards that flex - I found that spikes on top of a granite slab improved things no end. More of everything and tighter bass. If you get the granite cut to size you barely notice them

I did try two REL subs years ago, never really integrated the way I liked. So far the ATCs seem much better. We'll see..

One question I have is spikes or not on wood floor? I jhad teh Virgos n stone slabs and no spokes. Seemed fine. ATC suggests spikes, which are a pain IMO.

I have mentioned Herbie's Threaded Gliders a few times on here so apologies for repeating myself! I think they are excellent with no possibility of damage to your floor, speakers easy to position and my speakers have a natural and well balanced tone compared to the spikes that were originally fitted. Definition is very good too. I think they are excellent value too.

If you have a wooden floor - especially it it is floorboards that flex - I found that spikes on top of a granite slab improved things no end. More of everything and tighter bass. If you get the granite cut to size you barely notice them
I have them on granite slabs but no spikes. I really couldn't heat a diff and they are a huge pain,IMO.

In my experience the spikes make a real difference…. Assuming the speakers come with spikes you can’t do any harm just giving them a go

My SCM40A’s are on granite slabs, spikes removed, wooden suspended floor. Also with Windhoeks bumpers for additional decoupling.

Many people rate Gaia 2’s or Townshend supports with ATC’s.

advertisement

Back