advertisement

New ATCs!

The active 20’s sounded better balanced compared to active 40’s in a medium sized room when I listed to them recently. Bass timed better with a variety of different music
Smaller speakers usually sound faster since the bass doesn't hit that deep, which leads to less problems with room.

Wow- I did some looking around the ASR forum after suggested by AlexS in another thread.
They really hate ATC speakers- including SCM40s. Really hate all around, except maybe some actives.
They sounds pretty good to me, altough I am a scientist and have a hard time ignoring data!

Last edited:
Wow- I did some looking around the ASR forum after suggested by AlexS in another thread.
They really hate ATC speakers- including SCM40s. Really hate all around, except maybe some actives.
They sounds pretty good to me, alto I am a scientist and have a hard time ignoring data!
They are as mad as a box of frogs over on ASR.

I once asked Rob Watts, designer of the Chord Dave dac, what he would say to counter some of the things they say and Rob’s view was that they mostly didn’t know what they were talking about and it wasn’t worth the effort of trying to engage with them.

Here is a follow up to my recent “Crank it Up” thread. We went to dem speakers today, after getting annoyed with my old Audio Physic Virgos during my recent TT foray. Thanks to my better half for her patience. Here is what we heard:
  • Harbeth SHL5+: I was excited about these- It is why we went. Half price off due to some small dings and I had read great things. But- a let-down. Engaging midrange but could not see these long term. Just kind of sleepy. Fine but just OK.
  • Spendor A7; These were awesome! Went back and forth several times with them and almost got them. Really nice- they sound so big and full and extended for a medium 2-way.
  • ATC SCM40 v2. These were also great- bigger than the A7s with an extra driver. Didn’t sound much bigger than the A7s, but more presence overall. And very natural sounding from vocals and up and down.
  • Spendor D9.2. These were the biggest disappointment- there was a new pair in a discontinued finish for the same price as the Spendor A7s, when they list for nearly twice as much. So a huge bargain. But despite 4 drivers and twice the size, they were not pleasant to listen to. Boxy and very directional- and very bright. I thought we would get these when I saw they were still around. But the A7s were so much better And the D9s cost $14K new!
  • DynAudio Contour 50- These were bizarre- so bass-heavy that it wasn’t really listenable. Well-rated but bad today.
  • Paradigm – something very big from 15 years ago. My wife wanted to hear something much cheaper and these were only a grand. Great VFM- filled the room across the spectrum. Bass was a bit slow and thudding and overall not so refined. But not bad at all!
So… I bought the ATCs home- after thinking for a minute about a pair of used active ATC 19s. Set them up and they are a big improvement on the Virgos. Anyway- in my attempt to cheaply get some vinyl, I ended up with new speakers. UK built stuff isn’t a great bargain here, but they sound great. I have 7 days to return but they sound like keepers.
👍

They are as mad as a box of frogs over on ASR.

I once asked Rob Watts, designer of the Chord Dave dac, what he would say to counter some of the things they say and Rob’s view was that they mostly didn’t know what they were talking about and it wasn’t worth the effort of trying to engage with them.
Yes that can be a tad vitriolic over on ASR but data driven assessments are good. The reports Amir puts out are very good.

I must disagree (edit: about the ASR bit), measurements need to be interpreted correctly and that's where often ASR falls down. Also any set of measurements can be improved.

If you need concrete examples.
1. The dispersion of loudspeakers is significant for sound quality yes, but stops being significant after around 10kHz, outside toe-in angle. Floyd Toole has explained why. People miss this all the time.
2. DACs are often used in preampless systems or with passive preamps - measurement of output impedance is relevant because of this. JA of Stereophile always includes this measurement. Someone could argue differences here are unimportant - but not someone obsessing over -120dB vs -130dB distortion ...

Last edited:
To be clear I very much agree with your first sentence (have now edited my post), so my reservations are about the second.

Last edited:
ASR is just as bad in one direction as WHF is bad in the other - give me something balanced in between please.

I did try two REL subs years ago, never really integrated the way I liked. So far the ATCs seem much better. We'll see..

One question I have is spikes or not on wood floor? I jhad teh Virgos n stone slabs and no spokes. Seemed fine. ATC suggests spikes, which are a pain IMO.

Beautiful room👍🏻 We have similar floor , as said the lovely open plan then brings other problems, Even if you switch the speakers to beside the fireplace you still seem to have the same problem. Recently got some 40a’s and sold the passive version as I had heard nothing but good things, unfortunately it’s absolutely true the active version are just 😮 wow!
I did want 50’s but as an example I got the 40a’s 6 mth old for £5000, The 50’s , well the tower’s would be probably around £12,500 at least. So you can see trying to convince the wife😳
What it does do is whet your appetite and think if the 40’s sound this good the 50’s with the all the added “s” versions of driver’s are going to be in a different league again. But definitely something to save for.
I have a type of suspended floor, the speakers are on a block of granite and then using Soundcare superpikes. But you know if I didn’t have them now I would try some rubber anti vibration pads, ie washing machine things underneath as they’re supposed to work well and they would be good for that flooring.
For 2 channel the subs are still used but not as much as for Movies, PSA 1511 & 1512, they support that bottom end perhaps you could try that?
And also some type of room correction would be good, you said your amp was getting on a bit, and folk say ATC’s need a bit of whelly but I’ve found it’s the quality of the amp that counts. I had a Advantage s100 which was sublime until it failed🤦🏻
Regards speed

I must disagree (edit: about the ASR bit), measurements need to be interpreted correctly and that's where often ASR falls down. Also any set of measurements can be improved.

If you need concrete examples.
1. The dispersion of loudspeakers is significant for sound quality yes, but stops being significant after around 10kHz, outside toe-in angle. Floyd Toole has explained why. People miss this all the time.
2. DACs are often used in preampless systems or with passive preamps - measurement of output impedance is relevant because of this. JA of Stereophile always includes this measurement. Someone could argue differences here are unimportant - but not someone obsessing over -120dB vs -130dB distortion ...
Worse, as it's specifically SINAD they all put up on the pedestal of be all and end all of performance. Which just means they fundamentally do not understand how distortion is perceived, as two devices could both have exactly the same SINAD figure yet totally different distortion characteristics, one of which may potentially be audible the other not. Hence I put absolutely no store on the opinions of that site.

The other problem I have is that Amir doesn't even standardise his measurement methodology, he chooses input voltages for the devices on test however he prefers. Thus breaking the fundamental rule of comparative testing, and thus in one basic step making his measurement comparisons totally null and void.

Beautiful room👍🏻 We have similar floor , as said the lovely open plan then brings other problems, Even if you switch the speakers to beside the fireplace you still seem to have the same problem. Recently got some 40a’s and sold the passive version as I had heard nothing but good things, unfortunately it’s absolutely true the active version are just 😮 wow!
I did want 50’s but as an example I got the 40a’s 6 mth old for £5000, The 50’s , well the tower’s would be probably around £12,500 at least. So you can see trying to convince the wife😳
What it does do is whet your appetite and think if the 40’s sound this good the 50’s with the all the added “s” versions of driver’s are going to be in a different league again. But definitely something to save for.
I have a type of suspended floor, the speakers are on a block of granite and then using Soundcare superpikes. But you know if I didn’t have them now I would try some rubber anti vibration pads, ie washing machine things underneath as they’re supposed to work well and they would be good for that flooring.
For 2 channel the subs are still used but not as much as for Movies, PSA 1511 & 1512, they support that bottom end perhaps you could try that?
And also some type of room correction would be good, you said your amp was getting on a bit, and folk say ATC’s need a bit of whelly but I’ve found it’s the quality of the amp that counts. I had a Advantage s100 which was sublime until it failed🤦🏻
Regards speed
I coudl have had active 19a's for exactly the same price; Could sell the integrated but would need a pre.I just didn't think they would fill the room although they were tempting, Ages ago I demoed old 50A's- they filled it plenty.

In actuality- just don't spend that much time in that room listening, and it is often with others who value low dBs as the most important system feature. Even this new series of changes was most unanticipated

Regards speed
6 months old for 5k! thats good, ive seen a couple of pairs older than that for sale at the moment and they are asking 5k. A couple of years old should be around 4k imo.

6 months old for 5k! thats good, ive seen a couple of pairs older than that for sale at the moment and they are asking 5k. A couple of years old should be around 4k imo.
ATC is relatively overpriced in USA, as is Rega. It hurts to see costs in UK in excess of exchange rate for sure. But I bought it anyway and I appreciate supporting local.

New SCM40 is $6K
New 19A is $7000
New 40A is $10,990.
New 50A is $$17,490 for the pro model and $25K for the ASLT

advertisement

Back