advertisement

Network Switch To Router - Cable ?

turbo al

pfm Member
a question for anyone that has gone down the Network Switch route, does it matter about the quality of the cable between the router and the switch, currently i have an Atlas Hyper between my router and streamer, this gave a significant lift all round compared to a standard cable, i am contemplating trying a network switch betwneen router and streamer so will need another cable, does this need to be an audiophile cable too to gain any benefit, thanks in advance for any replies,

I’m not getting involved in anything beyond cable category arguments (e.g. cat5e, cat6 etc), but do be aware when routing that if you kink or crush the cable at all it likely no longer meets cat spec. This is significant if running a long cable from room to room.

a question for anyone that has gone down the Network Switch route, does it matter about the quality of the cable between the router and the switch, currently i have an Atlas Hyper between my router and streamer, this gave a significant lift all round compared to a standard cable, i am contemplating trying a network switch betwneen router and streamer so will need another cable, does this need to be an audiophile cable too to gain any benefit, thanks in advance for any replies,
Absolutely needs a proper cable! Cheap out and you can expect problems, often intermittent issues that can be very hard to track down. Been there and got the T-shirt! Not connecting at the rated speed is often the symptom 100MB instead of 1GB, for example. Connections being dropped etc. It needs properly rated and well made cables, but nothing fancy re audiophile - only you can answer that one!

Use an ordinary properly rated and well made cat5 or 6 cable of around 500mm - 1m long just before your streamer. Works for me. What switch are you thinking about?

You might want to look into using a pair of FMC (fibre media converters) instead of breaking the chain with a switch. If you have a dedicated mains you can put their power adapters on the house mains, otherwise consider a suitable basic LPSU dual output. Another item to look into is a network filter from the likes of Baaske (used in Health IT) or DXE (Ham radio).

Cabling wise I stick with the basic but properly certified IT stuff from Belkin/Lindy/BroadbandBuyer/Comms Express etc - Cat6 Unshielded. If you want a branded Audiophile cable look at Melco C100 (not the older model it’s got the shield connected both ends rather than 1 end only).

ADOT do a fancy FMC kit costing several £hundred but this off Amazon does the same job for £50

You’ll get off eBay if patient for £50 ish

These are about £40 each

HTH
Gus

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Why is that?
Oh no here we go again….. can’t we just accept there are differing views on
- mains cables and fuses
- LPSUs on routers and switches
- Ethernet cables and switches
…. and not jump aggressively on every new post like everyone with differing experience and views is an idiot?

Oh no here we go again….. can’t we just accept there are differing views on
- mains cables and fuses
- LPSUs on routers and switches
- Ethernet cables and switches
…. and not jump aggressively on every new post like everyone with differing experience and views is an idiot?
If nobody replies to posts by vacuous then they might do everyone a favour and FRO.

My 40yr old cable to my bt router starts in the back kitchen where the line comes in then goes through the wall into cupboard, duct taped to the bare floor boards in hall where it gets walked on, taped round the edge of the door into the room and kinked/stuffed under the skirting board for a bit then coiled up near the router.

Works fine, i have wondered what difference I would hear if I got it re-cabled to the router…….but i have better things to worry about.

53698076776_eb5af20db4_z.jpg

this is where it comes into house (behind square white face plate)

53698287533_f025b337f5_z.jpg

Out of cupboard and across hallway into room, carefully duct taped down of course, wouldn’t want to trip over it.

53698519120_5d7affc5cd_z.jpg

round corner and behind bass traps and along floor/skirting board

53697186657_e0ce98cfc1_z.jpg

to box on floor

53698419774_7ef1e9209e_z.jpg

and up to router on desk

Sounds fine to my ears for 40yr old BT original cabling.

Who knows? Certainly not me, streaming is of no personal interest, and in this instance, ignorance is bliss. But it sounds as though you're contemplating two changes at once, rarely a good idea if you're trying to identify the guilty party. Assuming you're scratching an itch, then if I were you, I'd get the switch, and see what you think, presumably with something bog-standard (freebie in the box?) as the second cable.

Any benefit adding the switch? Or is it inaudible/worse?

Then swap the freebie and the Hyper around so you're effectively reversing the order in the chain.

Same questions: better/worse/f*** all?

If you can hear a benefit from the switch, than a better cable (logically another Hyper, but maybe that's just me) may give you GTi race-tuned optimised performance. If you don't hear any benefit from the switch in any configuration, then it seems unlikely a better cable will 'unlock' the puzzle.

As ever, I wouldn't bother with 30 second quick A/Bs. Make one change, live with it for a few days, then revert and see if you miss the new toy before proceeding further, one step at a time.

If nobody replies to posts by vacuous then they might do everyone a favour and FRO.

You can't then? beyond throwing insults about telling people to fuk right off?

You claim to be an IT or network engineer but nothing I've seen so far indicates you have the first clue about any of it.

Foo it is then :rolleyes:

Use an ordinary properly rated and well made cat5 or 6 cable of around 500mm - 1m long just before your streamer. Works for me. What switch are you thinking about?
open to suggestion on switch, looking at a Cisco SF110 D as a start

That's a FastEthernet switch so is limited to 100Mbps

If you want a cheap switch I'd recommend the 2960G, it's gigabit and can be set to FE if your clients need it.

PS - most of the Cisco small Business switches are (old) Linksys, if you are looking for a proper Cisco switch look for a Catalyst.

Have a read through thiese threads, you can filter out the usual naysayer/thread crapper comments

advertisement

Back