advertisement

Netflix turning up the corporate greed in Canada

Im divorced, live in Switzerland, and my ex and 3 daughters live in Canada. I share my Netflix account with the girls, specifically buying the subscription for 5 family members (OK, also because that unlocked UHD content) - the 5 family members was their wording, not mine. I wonder what their current subscription mentions…

I do not consider myself to have been stealing content, but it does look like I will be impacted - those emails telling me Someone in Ottawa recently logged into my account come now with the warning that they had better be family members…

To be honest, it’s OK they try and close the gap, just hope I have the opportunity to argue my case that divorced couples and their children are still „family“. Let’s see.

Im divorced, live in Switzerland, and my ex and 3 daughters live in Canada. I share my Netflix account with the girls, specifically buying the subscription for 5 family members (OK, also because that unlocked UHD content) - the 5 family members was their wording, not mine. I wonder what their current subscription mentions…

I do not consider myself to have been stealing content, but it does look like I will be impacted - those emails telling me Someone in Ottawa recently logged into my account come now with the warning that they had better be family members…

To be honest, it’s OK they try and close the gap, just hope I have the opportunity to argue my case that divorced couples and their children are still „family“. Let’s see.

Its kind of you but if the family live together they should just pay for the netflix, or don't have netflix.

I am not seeing any real relevant arguments for sharing passwords here so far, netflix may well have a point.

Interesting scenario. I didn’t think of something like this a all, but in reality it must be pretty common.
Honestly had I been in a similar situation, amending my Netflix account wouldn’t be on the top of the to do list. Divorces can be complicated on so many levels, and a letter from Netflix is probably what it would take to remind me.

I'm actually with Netflix on this one. It's their service, their rules - if you don't see enough value in it to pay for multi-user then it can't be that much of a loss for you/your daughter OP... Personally I didn't see enough value in it and ditched my subscription a year or so ago.

They likely look at international sharing more as it might be a sign of VPN use, bypassing regional restrictions

As I understand it this is precisely the sort of case you’ll be able to get them to still grant you access over so I wouldn’t worry.

I use Netflix in my primary and second home. If they won’t accommodate this I’ll drop my subscription. I find very little on there of interest anyway but apparently the “kids” (22 and 21 and both in full time education) watch it. NowTV entertainment seems much better but if they follow suit I’ll drop all streaming and just buy box sets and films of interest through Apple. F*ck ‘em!

I’ve not had any kind of warnings from them so perhaps our usage falls into an acceptable pattern.

Most of our TVs seem to have a Netflix attached to them - generally arrived with boyfriends of the girls (twins are 22 yr old now). During lockdown that was fine - one boyfriend was locked down with us. Now just the two of us, and we rarely use it now - seems to be plenty of choice of 'free' stuff to watch without troubling Netflix - or Disney for that matter either. Although I did use Disney to watch the whole Star Wars sequence, in order, during lockdown.

Under new rules we will simply delete the log ins.

I use Netflix in my primary and second home. If they won’t accommodate this I’ll drop my subscription. I find very little on there of interest anyway but apparently the “kids” (22 and 21 and both in full time education) watch it. NowTV entertainment seems much better but if they follow suit I’ll drop all streaming and just buy box sets and films of interest through Apple. F*ck ‘em!

I’ve not had any kind of warnings from them so perhaps our usage falls into an acceptable pattern.

As far as I understand the Term&conditions what you are describing doesn’t fall under account sharing, as you and your household are the users.

If you use your phone app and move between the homes, with not more than a month at a time in the second, you pass the basic WiFi detection rule.
Setting up WiFi in the two houses to use the same SSID would fool it too.
They cannot use the IP address as that is dynamic for most of us

If you use your phone app and move between the homes, with not more than a month at a time in the second, you pass the basic WiFi detection rule.

I have Netflix on smart TVs in both houses and pay the top tier for 4k. I guess I could change the SSID but I doubt I could be ar$ed. I am not in the business of stealing media or ripping anyone off, I just want convenience and a fair price. The price of Netflix vs my personal usage is already making it questionable for me but I think my daughters use it more, about time I asked them. First world problems.

Well you seem to have missed my point. I’ll try again.

So I share my Amazon Prime account with my two brothers. Middle brother shares his Netflix account with me and my youngest brother, who in turn shares his Disney+ account with both of us. Three households. Three times the opportunity for watercooler conversations. More opportunities for products to create that buzz. Win-win. If the networks prevent this, I’ll lose Netflix and Disney+, and they’ll lose Amazon Prime. All of a sudden, we can’t talk to each other about great series any more, because two thirds of us in any conversation won’t have seen it.

I try and make it a rule not to engage in the 'off topic' section...it never goes well .But as this thread stated on the "Audio" section..........

I am failing to understand your point.

Three brothers all have different channel subscriptions and share access codes with each other so all can watch all three channels having all only paid for one. All you seem to put forward as justification is that you all can then chat to each other about the programmes that you watch having all only paid 33% of the cost for doing so. You claim that this "watercooler chat " helps the channel providers .This "buzz" you talk of you have created amongst yourselves about one of the channels programmes ?..doesn't do the companies any good if the other two of you can ,and are, then going to watch it for free does it ?

Last edited:
I won't be based upon SSID. External IP addresses can be tracked down to 4 decimals places wrt latitude and longitude.

Click here should you forget where you are.

advertisement

Back