advertisement

Netflix turning up the corporate greed in Canada

So we pay for 4 users I think, what if my son who lives in my house wants to watch netflix on his iPad when out and about (which he often does)

Our Netflix is included in our Sky package, and the last deal we struck up meant that it wasn’t worth removing just to save a couple of quid.
Amazon Prime we have mostly for the quicker deliveries. We tried being unsubscribed for a few months and it was painful. Rarely do we watch any Prime programmes or films.
I’m leaving the Sky subscription alone until my future employment is clearer next year. If the whole TV package needs to be ditched, so be it. Won’t be the end of the world.

My son has just gone to uni, so might get "caught" with this.

I hardly ever watch Netflix, I should probably just cancel it. Not into binge watching series, and whenever I come across a film I'd like to watch, it's rarely available on Netflix anyway.

I don’t blame them clamping down but seems like an own goal. I think it’s getting worse overall. Much of it is aimed at the young and as you sift through the filler you ask yourself whether it is worth it just to see the occasional F1 series, Queen’s Gambit etc. And they launch this clampdown at a time with Amazon seemingly much improved from its poor beginnings, Paramount up and running, Disney established and others no doubt to come.

Maybe I’m wrong but I suspect the marginal revenue increase they’ll get will be overshadowed by the cancellations and that all they will have really achieved is to alienate their target audience who either won’t or individually can’t afford their own subscription.

My grown up kids have been using my account for ages. Can’t believe they have been getting away with it. Can’t blame Netflix really. My concern is more with potential unintended consequences (randomly blocking your laptop when travelling or whatever).

So we pay for 4 users I think, what if my son who lives in my house wants to watch Netflix on his iPad when out and about (which he often does)
That's allowed, the new new sub that's happening in Canada and elsewhere, (UK in March) takes that kind of thing into account but the iPad needs to be used on the house Internet or WIFI of the subscriber at least once a month to allow you to approve it's use on your sub via a pin number or sign in confirmation.

You can also use your account abroad, again you need only sign in back home with the device used abroad to link it back to your home internet IP address within 30 days of use abroad.

Basically they're tying your subscription to your IP address not just to your account name.

expect a £2 -£3 rise if you want to share it to say your kids at uni or wherever if they are unable to have the device approved at your IP address every 30 days .

Ok coolio, that works then. This all being said we only resubbed recently and quite frankly will probably unsub again its mostly just shite. Trying to work through the Dahmer series, which is turgid, as one might expect for the subject matter will probably then bin it.

I tend to find enough content on prime for this type of thing, but my main go to is YouTube.

The problem is the proliferation of subscription services. And the fact that series sometimes change platforms. So now as well as Prime (used mostly for the deliveries) and Netflix, we’re also asked to buy Paramount, Disney+ and whatever else. And series which start on Prime, like Picard, have apparently moved to Paramount.

As a family, we collectively have subs for all of these, and we share them across the households. If we’re each expected to take out subs for all of them, well it simply ain’t gonna happen.

Otherwise called stealing.
Lets be kind and call it abusing a loophole. Well, Netflix are rightly closing that loophole and announced it quite a while ago; anyone shocked or dismayed have either been living under a rock or have been the beneficiary of a free profile.

I expect that many people who pay the bill will suddenly find that their address is not the "home". Sharing to random friends and relatives was too easy.

The long term problem is that there are too many rival streaming services with unique content. Nobody will want to join everything and a few are only available in many countries by VPN eg Paramount

It does feel to me that this approach might be counterproductive in the longer term. People won’t sign up for multiple services, especially not when times are hard. So if each service restricts its audience, there’s less opportunity for those watercooler conversations that help to swell an audience.

“Have you seen X?”
“No, what’s it on?”
“Paramount”
“Oh, can’t get that, so won’t be watching it”
End of conversation. Audience for X loses another potential viewer.

If these services modified their model, maybe created packages of multiple networks across multiple households, they’d all do better. That’s not the business way though; competition, not collaboration.

Did a year with Netflix, birthday present for me which puzzled me as I wasn't that keen
Not renewed
We have Prime due to the boss already signed up for the cheaper deliveries
That's plenty for me
While I think about it - the ads on Freevee are driving me nuts.
Rather listen to music

If account sharing is a way to sticking it to the Man, then we are really rebels without a cause.

And Boo-hoo for not having a water cooler moment :(
There is not much fight club in that….

advertisement

Back