advertisement

Netflix no longer working 24th july

hifinutt

hifinutt
Seems a bit odd but millions including me will no longer be able to watch netflix on TV unless you go wifi . as i am hard wired thats a pain . any way to get netflix hard wired ?

Many of us watch Netflix through a built-in app on our TV - but for some this will shortly be coming to a rather abrupt end.

Millions access the streaming giant through a variety of set-top boxes, Blu-ray players and games consoles, but if you're used to watching via your television then this news will come as a bit of a shock.

That's not what the link says; it says that older models of TV/set-top boxes with the built-in app simply won't have the capability to run the latest version of the Netflix app. To be honest this is nothing new - older devices simply weren't designed (or ever be capable) of forward compatibility for a decade+. And as the link says, it can be solved by running a Firestick or similar.

On one TV, when I pick a Netflix show to watch it starts to load then freezes at 26%. I don’t witness this loading thing on my other TV in a different geographical location where the show simply starts.

My 2012 Sony stopped a few months ago. Firestick is the way to go and it's so much faster than the old app. The old telly is still perfectly good in the 'spare room' with a great picture on straight HD

yes problem is i found with wifi it used to freeze a bit so we hard wired the tv . I dont want to downgrade to a wifi connection again

One thing I have noticed with iPlayer is that the freezing I sometimes see happens at around the same time period and I believe this is due to overload of the local BBC network servers and not our SOHO as other channels such as ITV/Netflix are working O.K. We run two TVs simultaneously in different rooms.

This has nothing to do with it the connection is Ethernet or Wi-Fi . The issue is only with Sony TV,s from 2014 which have chips in them that have technical issues that mean they are not and to deal with current Netfix streaming protocol . So the number of TV ,s is going to be limited and most of that age will be due replacement any way .

crazy , this sony tv works beautifully and is good for another 10 years .disgracefull to condemn something to landfill so soon .very very bad behaviour for netflix imho

crazy , this sony tv works beautifully and is good for another 10 years .disgracefull to condemn something to landfill so soon .very very bad behaviour for netflix imho
Mine just became too slow. It's the processing power needed to run the interface but they could have a simplified version easily enough...

but they could have a simplified version easily enough...
yes maybe they could, but every different version costs money, customers would expect support, they would moan....perhaps they could charge users of the simpler interface a supplement on top of the normal subscription.

My Sony tv lost Netflix a while ago, and every time I switch it on now, I get a 'boot error' message. Not worried though, as it works fine on my old BT YouView recorder box, along with all the channel catch ups and Amazon. No contract for it, not needed, now runs on EETV platform, and still does everything I need.

yes maybe they could, but every different version costs money, customers would expect support, they would moan....perhaps they could charge users of the simpler interface a supplement on top of the normal subscription.
The obvious question then becomes: why the need for a complex interface at all? I have my suspicions that a lot of bloat in applications is just lazy programming; now that memory and processing power is cheap, why bother streamlining your code at all? Problem being it just creates obsolescence in otherwise perfectly functional kit.

The obvious question then becomes: why the need for a complex interface at all? I have my suspicions that a lot of bloat in applications is just lazy programming; now that memory and processing power is cheap, why bother streamlining your code at all? Problem being it just creates obsolescence in otherwise perfectly functional kit.

that's what the subscribers want - bloat is a thing of the past IME.

Its not just Sony TV’s;

You’re receiving this email because you’ve used Apple TV (2nd generation) and/or Apple TV (3rd generation) with Netflix in the past. Unfortunately, we’re retiring support for these devices on 31 Jul 2024. We know this can be frustrating, but we’re doing this to ensure you maintain the best possible Netflix viewing experience.​
You can still enjoy Netflix with our latest features on thousands of TVs, phones, tablets and computers, including all newer Apple TV models, such as Apple TV 4K.​

Haven't been able to play Netflix or BBC iPlayer for years from my Sony TV but it's not a problem. Just have a Google Chromecast plugged in and cast from my phone Netflix / iPlayer apps to the Chromecast. Never have problems with streaming quality on WiFi, although I'm not doing 4K, just HD.

You’re receiving this email because you’ve used Apple TV (2nd generation) and/or Apple TV (3rd generation) with Netflix in the past. Unfortunately, we’re retiring support for these devices on 31 Jul 2024. We know this can be frustrating, but we’re doing this to ensure you maintain the best possible Netflix viewing experience.​
That sort of thing really annoys me. How can it be 'ensuring I maintain the best possible viewing experience' if I'm unable to view it because support has been withdrawn? It's a corporate platitude which basically papers over the idea that users on older tech platforms don't matter and are not of interest. If you're going to withdraw support, at least have the decency to explain why. There's probably a perfectly valid and sensible technical reason, and it's probably capable of being sketched out in basic terms to a layman, so just ****ing say what it is. 😡

I'm surprised to learn that so many use the TV's inbuilt apps. These are uniformly very poor (in my experience) in terms of interface, speed, picture quality, etc, compared to a plug in device such as a Firestick, Apple TV, or whatever.

The withdrawl of support for old apps certainly does not make the TV landfill. The TV will be fine; just plug a Firestick, or whatever, in to it. As a bonus you will find it quicker and often has a better picture quality. WiFi or wired.

Netflix has changed the way their interface works to improve their users experience. This will require changes to the application on our devices. I guess Apple and others no longer offer support for their older devices unlike say a Firestick that automatically updates.

I have an old 'dumb' Pioneer that works fine with a Firestick using WiFi.

That sort of thing really annoys me. How can it be 'ensuring I maintain the best possible viewing experience' if I'm unable to view it because support has been withdrawn? It's a corporate platitude which basically papers over the idea that users on older tech platforms don't matter and are not of interest. If you're going to withdraw support, at least have the decency to explain why. There's probably a perfectly valid and sensible technical reason, and it's probably capable of being sketched out in basic terms to a layman, so just ****ing say what it is. 😡
Dear customer
We are tired of the old shit, let the new shit begin.

With thanks to Eels.

advertisement

Back