advertisement

Need help identifying suitable new car

...this monstrosity.

maxresdefault.jpg

Stephen

I actually like the look of that in a ‘Transformers’ kind of way!

I'm with Whaleblue. OK, I wouldn't choose it but it has a certain Mad Max appeal. It looks rufty tufty enough to take on the urban battle that is the school run.

I just think it is over-styled. Too busy, no real clarity to what the designer was trying to achieve. Form follows fashion, if you will.

Twas ever thus. If form follows function you get the Volvo 240.
I take your wider point, but not sure I entirely agree. I realise you were reducing the argument to essentials, but the Volvo 240 is just the 'form follows function' expression of the 3-box saloon and I'm not sure the 'function' the average car is used for is best served by a 3-box saloon. I'd say the 5-door hatchback, or estate, is probably closer to meeting the needs of more people, and that's before you get into aerodynamics, and compromises over internal volume vs drag reduction and weight reduction.

And then you have the individual manufacturers' own approach to these compromises. This is where I agree with your wider point, that styling is largely an expression of manufacturers striving for individuality and recognisability in a potentially ever more homogenised market, but there is a difference, I think, between styling done well, where you aren't really aware of it perhaps, and styling which is just crass. I'd say the Toyota above is a good example of the latter.

Almost all cars sold new in the last 15 years or longer are clear coated. Are you sure you're not seeing satin/frozen finishes? They are quite popular with those not inclined to wax or polish.

Are low-end compacts and SUVs available with that finish?

If your Volvo preference is out of budget, I’d second the Nissan Qashqui. My sister bought one a year or two back. Very, very pleased with it. Worth a test drive. (I’ve not read the whole thread, so apologies if I’m behind on where you’ve got to).

advertisement

Back