advertisement

Need help identifying suitable new car

hc25036

pfm Member
I’ve seen car threads generate good advice in the past, so I’m hoping the pfm combined experience will help me solve a knotty problem. After recent retirement we ‘downsized’ to one car and it needed to be mid-sized as mrs hc25036 won’t drive larger cars (my car was always a decent-sized estate - Passat or Volvo v70). Current car is a 2015 SEAT Leon fr with the 150bhp engine which was going to be kept for 5 years or more.

The fates have thrown a wobbler though as I’ve developed a problem with my left knee and mrs hc now doesn’t drive. We need to find a petrol (non-negotiable) automatic that is higher off the road to make it easier for me to fall into and out of. Price needs to be around £30k new or nearly new, and so far the SEAT Ateca seems to be closest although the 1.4 petrol engine doesn’t get the greatest write-ups.

I’m wondering if I’m missing a trick by looking at SUVs - are there any (petrol/auto) hatchbacks or estates out there that sit higher off the ground that will seat 4 tallish adults that I’ve missed?

Mercedes GLA, Toyota CHR, Nissan Juke, Nissan Qashqai all have a bit more height.

My dad recently bought a Mini Cooper Countryman SD which he loves to bits - it was a surprising choice (for me) given he was used to driving around in an ML270CDI.

while you are asking around, send your question to
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk
I remember a few questions of this type and none of the replies were SUV's although none were elegant cars either. Still he does give accurate answers.

My own shout for a non suv would be the Ford grand C-Max or Hyundai iX20. For an SUV the Seat is on the list, but also check the new Suzuki Vitara. Excellent car that.

The 1.2 Skoda Yeti. Also available in front wheel drive.

They'll be in short supply now, Skoda are canning that to be replaced by the Karoq. That said, if you find one with DSG (quite a rare option in the Yeti), it'll be cheap because they're on the way out.

Jeep Renegade. My other half has an auto with the 1.4 turbo petrol engine. Good height for getting in and out of.

There was (presumably still is) a version of the Volvo Estate that was higher up than the standard. I know this because my father had one for the exact same reasons you now have.

My in laws bought a petrol (1.2) auto Qashqai and I have to say i was quite impressed. So my wife bought a diesel auto one for herself. It even reads the speed limits as you drive along and can put them up in front of you! Qashqai is actually not that big (looks bigger than it really is). Boot not that great if that is an issue. Higher levels have a clever all around camera system too when maneuvering. It is not as high as many 'proper' SUVs so you are not climbing up and down. My XC60 has quite a step down out of it by comparison.

The Renault Kadjar version is a different take on the same car - friend has bought one and he gets on really well with it

There was (presumably still is) a version of the Volvo Estate that was higher up than the standard. I know this because my father had one for the exact same reasons you now have.

That was the XC70 but they'll be over the £30k the OP has as a limit.

For his budget, the XC40 is out soon (if not now) and the V40 Cross-Country is a little bit higher than the 'normal' V40.

Yes the XC70. Not sure it is available new now, but could still be available at the car supermarkets

Wow! So much help so quickly. I'd love the Volvos but they look out of my price range. I'd not seen the Toyota, but that is now on my test drive list. I keep coming back to the Qashqai, but the only petrol auto is 115bhp which seems a bit small to me (coming from a 150bhp Leon), but a test drive may be in order. Mrs hc has an irrational dislike of anything with 'Range', "Land' or 'Jeep' in the name, so I may struggle with those!

Thank you so much - all credit to the pfm massive!

The obvious one I missed was the Kia Sportage.

You can get a helluva lot of crossover for your 30k with a 7 year warranty.

Just avoid the DCT.

Is it worth you looking at a BMW 3 Series GT? They're 80mm or so higher than a standard 3, so 'might' be high enough to give your knee an easier time. Basic new price is about £30k, so a recent, higher spec car might be possible. Petrol 320i available, and I reckon a great auto will be on the options list too.

Of course, it might be the ugliest wagon on the road in your eyes, with too much baggage! :)

My brother has a lexus hybrid that is pretty high up. Rx460 thing. Outside your price range new but you'd get one 2 or 3 years old. For me, that's nearly new, but might not be for you.

Yes the XC70. Not sure it is available new now, but could still be available at the car supermarkets

No, a better bet is the one Whaleblue identifies. The V60CC (CC stands for Cross Country). Available in Front wheel drive only, or four wheel drive, it's basically the mid-sized Volvo estate (V60) with a little bit ( about 2 inches) of added ride height and ground clearance, a smidge of chunky trim, and the option of 2- or 4-wheel drive. Petrol engines are pretty decent, by all accounts. I quite fancy one and have been considering a lightly pre-owned 'approved used' for a while now, prices seem to be around £25k, or £35-40k new.

The best sensibly sized suv I have driven is a BMW X1, lovely car, good height to get in and out of, comfortable and feels nice and solid. Starting price for a petrol auto is £29,000 FWD. £31,000 will get you a more powerful 4x4 model (the one I’d buy).

Or if you want an estate car, look no further than a Skoda superb.

I recently hired a car for big round trip with with family, to a family wedding - a 2017 Qashquai turned up (a diesel of c.120hp, no doubt petrols are similar) and tbh, it was really rather good, perfect for the 600mile round trip with three adults and 3-day wedding luggage; light controls, nice to pilot in a relaxed manner from a highish seating POV; quiet, economical and smooth. Very comfortable, and getting stuck for 9hrs on an anticipated c. 3hr leg it remained entirely a nice place to be for us all.

Likely wouldn't be me personal first choice, but I entirely see why so many like them.

advertisement

Back