advertisement

National Trust AGM: resolution to ban hunting on NT land

It would be reasonable to ban shooting anything as big as a fox with a shotgun. The commercial shoots usually give instructions beforehand.

Snares are particularly horrible.

It used to be that many more foxes were killed by cars.

Our chickens are all well fenced or enclosed; it's lovely to see something as big as a fox surviving in what little niche we've left them.

Ours too. I spent some while watching a beautiful young fox a few mornings ago. At first I thought he was the ginger tom cat, but his movements, partially obscured by long grass, were different. We've got an earth at one end of our smallholding, the chickens at the other. There's an occasional accident, but we've managed it quite well in recent years.

It's certainly not an efficient way of controlling fox populations - but fox hunting has never been about that. If it was you wouldn't have had the practice from the 18th century onwards of buying 'bag' foxes (often imported in large numbers from France) to be released and hunted.

For anyone who is interested, this book explores the place foxes occupy in our collective imagination and has a good in-depth history of fox hunting: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008GTZ6Z6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Essex used to have at least 3 hunts. One of them, probably the Essex Farmers, used to travel out to Dunmow or Felsted on the train, with horses, hounds, followers and a crated stag on board. There is an account of the stag being released, and the ensuing pursuit took the hunt across the grain of the land, across what is now the M11, Stansted Airport and Harlow, and on towards Nazeing and Hoddesdon. It's a vast tract of land.

There's a lot to regret about so-called progress, including the demise of the railway and the carving up of poor old Essex by concrete and tarmac, but the crated stag hunt isn't one of them.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's a fine balance, pleasing everyone. Which is why it can't ever happen. The trust, like everyone else, are under scrutiny now from so many groups, with so many varied agendas (some voiced above) that fault is certain to be found. I'd not wish the control of such a group on anyone thin skinned these days. However as long as their decisions are properly informed then the haters will have to lump it. That's how it is.
On hunting, I'd say that animals should never be killed by groups of people who have paid for a day of doing just that. I object less to killing where population control is vital, but even then, the argument for, is wearing thin in a world with wild areas shrinking so fast that few will be left at all very soon. How can deer be a problem? Because when old deer die, we have carefully removed the ground where the residents that would have cleaned away the remains could live. The Eagles and carrion eaters are just there, and so are the insects that do the rest of the work, but only just. That's why proper re wilding over thousands, not hundreds of ares is vital. We can't justify hunting if nature is rebalanced, particularly since there is just not the land left now.
I think Zoology/Biology should be compulsory at School now with a focus on explaining ecosystems and how nature works in a linked way. We have to ensure that we understand what we are doing when we re-legalise neonicotinoids as agricultural sprays for example. Send the entire ministries of agriculture and the environment to college to learn for a week or two, and FFS get rid of the Tory bloody government. Vote Green if you actually want something done about this stuff. The rest is hot air.

Interesting that the AGM resolutions they highlight on their website are about the trust's treatment of volunteers, the recent sacking of large numbers of curators and it's declared wish to develop other income streams for NT properties (i.e. weddings etc). These are things that have rightly concerned a lot of members and may well gain them support.

But the group's appearances in the press don't seem to be about these issues - they're 100% culture war nonsense.

There's a hunt based in my village. When they have the annual 'country day and fair', people flock from all around. The usual horsey/villagey/country thing. No-one advertises that it's a fundraiser for the hunt and so I feel many attendees are being duped.

The same farmer behind it all has now shut access to the generally used dog-walking field edges, citing damage and litter as the problem, and wanting to protect the headlands. Nothing to do with protecting the birds that have been reared for the paid shoot. No mention of the fact that before they were paid a grant to have headlands, they didn't have any. Anyways, locals are split over the access issue . I have to respect that private property is just that and there are footpaths that we can use. But the deception or misrepresentation about land-management, damage and litter is just complete BS. Most of the locals have no idea what the gamekeeper gets up to, killing stoats and weasel, using Larsen traps for Magpies etc. There was a report on the Beeb recently saying that the UK has a 50% reduction in wild animals since pre-industrial times. How anyone can support hunting or killing wild animals to protect reared Pheasants, I just don't know.

I'm a country boy born and bred but I have absolutely no interest in 'hunting' or shooting. I can see why people join saboteur groups. And don't get me started on the police presence at the hunts - why can't the hunt people just call the police, like anyone else, if they think there is a need? Yes I know why they get special attention - so-called powerful people making demands of policing.

The North Yorkshire moors… devoid of almost all wildlife, just to support shooting reared birds. It really is dead up there.

I don't doubt it. Honestly, there are people in this village who revere the local farmer; who suggest he does things 'for the village'. I really can't see what. He grows wheat to sell to the highest bidder. Bought the pub and lets it to a landlord, with his brother suggesting he 'did it for the village.' Hogwash. If it doesn't pay then he's proven business use doesn't work and he'll apply to turn it into residences, developing the car park as well (admitted as much to me). Most of them think he provides the village hall. More like he gets the village hall committee to pay for its maintenance but he retains ownership. People are so daft. You'd think the Lord of the Manor still existed here, providing employment to all local people. Except it's about 3 people.

Our old farmer, now sadly gone to that great field in the sky, had a strange attitude to hunting. He, unusually for most farmers, was a great animal lover and also an expert in livestock - fellow farmers from miles around would come to him for advice on illnesses of sheep & such. He allowed the local hunt a day a year to hunt on his land "To help preserve the traditions of the countryside", so he told me.

advertisement

Back