advertisement

National Trust AGM: resolution to ban hunting on NT land

It’s not a very efficient method of hunting is it? I personally hate the whole hunting fraternity, complete scum.

Blimey! Sweeping. What about those human hunting bloodhounds and their followers?

I thought about your comment on efficiency. The kill rate of foxhunts was 100%, in that every fox they caught, they killed. They just didn't catch that many. Far, far more foxes are shot than were ever hunted, but with a lower kill rate. A chap called Nick Fox (!) researched and wrote a paper on wound rates from shooting in the early 2000s, and concluded (I think, it's a long and gruesome paper with horribly detailed pathology reports) that somewhere between 12% and 41% of foxes that are shot at are wounded, depending on a number of variables, including gun type and the experience of the shooter.

Shooting is an efficient way of controlling fox populations, but not necessarily a particularly efficient way of killing them. Hunting with dogs is probably not a very efficient way of reducing fox populations, but is a very efficient way of killing them.

I don't have a dog (soz!) in this fight, incidentally. I personally can't abide any leisure occupation that involves compulsorily wearing a uniform. That includes football, golf, foxhunting and game shooting, and I have no desire at all to take the life of any creature, though I do eat them, which I recognise as a moral conundrum.

Well, yes. I should substitute 'sport' for occupation, or place the word 'leisure' ahead of it.

Amended.

It’s not a very efficient method of hunting is it?

It's certainly not an efficient way of controlling fox populations - but fox hunting has never been about that. If it was you wouldn't have had the practice from the 18th century onwards of buying 'bag' foxes (often imported in large numbers from France) to be released and hunted.

For anyone who is interested, this book explores the place foxes occupy in our collective imagination and has a good in-depth history of fox hunting: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008GTZ6Z6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's an abhorrent practice and a pity Blair lost his bottle and didn't use his massive majority to ban it completely post 97.

As an aside, I find bull-fighting in Spain/Portugal equally disgusting and the locals enthusiasm for it always surprises me whenever I am visiting Albefurra or the Azores.

I thought about your comment on efficiency. The kill rate of foxhunts was 100%, in that every fox they caught, they killed. They just didn't catch that many. Far, far more foxes are shot than were ever hunted, but with a lower kill rate. A chap called Nick Fox (!) researched and wrote a paper on wound rates from shooting in the early 2000s, and concluded (I think, it's a long and gruesome paper with horribly detailed pathology reports) that somewhere between 12% and 41% of foxes that are shot at are wounded, depending on a number of variables, including gun type and the experience of the shooter.

It would be reasonable to ban shooting anything as big as a fox with a shotgun. The commercial shoots usually give instructions beforehand.

Snares are particularly horrible.

It used to be that many more foxes were killed by cars.

Our chickens are all well fenced or enclosed; it's lovely to see something as big as a fox surviving in what little niche we've left them.

Blimey! Sweeping. What about those human hunting bloodhounds and their followers?

Shooting is an efficient way of controlling fox populations, but not necessarily a particularly efficient way of killing them. Hunting with dogs is probably not a very efficient way of reducing fox populations, but is a very efficient way of killing them.

I don't have a dog (soz!) in this fight, incidentally. I personally can't abide any leisure occupation that involves compulsorily wearing a uniform. That includes football, golf, foxhunting and game shooting, and I have no desire at all to take the life of any creature, though I do eat them, which I recognise as a moral conundrum.
Sniffer dogs are different thing surely? Anyway I do like a sweeping generation. Killing a single fox with a pack of dogs & horses in tow doesn’t seem very efficient to me. It’s not really about the hunt though is it? More just an opportunity to bray with a load of like minded posh fools?

Sniffer dogs are different thing surely? Anyway I do like a sweeping generation. Killing a single fox with a pack of dogs & horses in tow doesn’t seem very efficient to me. It’s not really about the hunt though is it? More just an opportunity to bray with a load of like minded posh fools?

It certainly is a popular characterisation, but probably a rather dated one. There are certainly one or two posh people in the local hunt, and a few braying fools too, but they're not necessarily the same people. There are farmers in good numbers, people from the professions, builders, entrepreneurs, a butcher and a greengrocer from the outer London suburbs, a fellow with a haulage company, the woman who has a successful company marketing sex toys, and a couple who run the sorting office in the county town. A chap called Keith used to be a member, he was a bit of a Prodigy, very smart he was too in his red coat, but sadly he came a cropper.

I’m struggling to understand which box I should tick to vote against trail hunting on NT land: for, against or abstain.

I don’t want to vote against a ban by accident!
Yes, it is a bit confusing, isn't it? If I was cynical, I'd think that it's a deliberate ploy by those in the National Trust who would wish the horrid practice to continue.

I've voted. It did need a bit of reading but it wasn't too bad.

I also voted for Mike Ward as he's a local to us, we know him, he's not one of the NT old guard and for example, he is very much against hunting.

It certainly is a popular characterisation, but probably a rather dated one. There are certainly one or two posh people in the local hunt, and a few braying fools too, but they're not necessarily the same people. There are farmers in good numbers, people from the professions, builders, entrepreneurs, a butcher and a greengrocer from the outer London suburbs, a fellow with a haulage company, the woman who has a successful company marketing sex toys, and a couple who run the sorting office in the county town. A chap called Keith used to be a member, he was a bit of a Prodigy, very smart he was too in his red coat, but sadly he came a cropper.

The same crowd of gauche arrivistes you'll find down the freemasons, then.

It’s not a very efficient method of hunting is it? I personally hate the whole hunting fraternity, complete scum.

The efficiency is a red herring. Hunting, like bear-baiting, badger-baiting, dog fighting, cock fighting etc is just human psychopathy. Some people really enjoy seeing terror, suffering and death they have instigated. Dressing up in a fancy tunic and riding a £5k+ horse doesn’t make it anything different, certainly nothing more “civilised” than some brainless chav throwing a cat at a pit bull for shits ‘n’ giggles. A personal gratification obtained from another’s suffering. They are all what they are and should be treated with the utter contempt they deserve.

Pest control is a whole other issue and should in no way be confused with organised animal torturing events.

PS Folk who care for wildlife should consider making a donation to their local hunt sabs. They tend to be decent folk doing good work at great risk to themselves (many folk involved with hunts are inevitably quite violent and have little respect for the law).

+1 to that; I've a great & old friend who was an active hunt sab in the early 90s onwards for over a decade. Ben has horrid stories to tell.

And alongside this - not to derail the NT's move,which I support as a member - someday damn-soon sim conversation needs to be had in Public over the wilful destruction of ecology & wildlife the whole Grouse / game shooting industry horror inflicts upon ... vast areas of upland & moorland life.

[I use the word 'industry' for that's what most all of the damage is done to enable: pay-per-play shoots.

I am also aware there is an entirely separate, managed, very small, and very skilled, need to occasionally cull specific animals - and that is a different sort of discussion entirely.]

The efficiency is a red herring. Hunting, like bear-baiting, badger-baiting, dog fighting, cock fighting etc is just human psychopathy. Some people really enjoy seeing terror, suffering and death they have instigated. Dressing up in a fancy tunic and riding a £5k+ horse doesn’t make it anything different, certainly nothing more “civilised” than some brainless chav throwing a cat at a pit bull for shits ‘n’ giggles. A personal gratification obtained from another’s suffering. They are all what they are and should be treated with the utter contempt they deserve.

Pest control is a whole other issue and should in no way be confused with organised animal torturing events.

PS Folk who care for wildlife should consider making a donation to their local hunt sabs. They tend to be decent folk doing good work at great risk to themselves (many folk involved with hunts are inevitably quite violent and have little respect for the law).

A couple of years ago my huntin' and shootin' organic-farmer-with-large-areas-set-aside-for-birds-n-beetles-foxes-and-owls brother-in-law fell off his very large 'orse in front of an audience of appreciative hunt sabs. He passed the time of day with them, and asked them if they'd be good enough to give him a leg-up. They happily obliged, and they all parted on good terms. It seems that everybody was enjoying a good day out in the bracing winter air.

advertisement

Back