advertisement

NASA news conference tomorrow

Hi Joe,

Transmission spectroscopy (where you look at the difference in light from the star through the planets atmosphere when it is behind and in front of the star) is very tricky and does not really have the resolution to resolve the complex spectra of organic molecules at this stage of the technology. If you were lucky you might find oxygen (or possibly chlorophyl) signatures which you could then use to infer organic processes. However I am not saying this is what will be announced tomorrow.

cheers,

iain.

I know (since the telescope I run was part of the discovery) but I can't say yet! How annoying is that!

Shameful misuse of NASA media relations just to tell us your neighbour gets undressed in front of the window

article-2030648-0D9568AB00000578-722_634x482.jpg

Cheers, Iain.

That interesting. I thought the spectroscopy technology had advanced to the point where you could detect complex molecules in atmospheres far away. Perhaps I should spend more time reading about current astronomy than watching Star Trek reruns...

Regardless, I'm standing by for what I hope is a fascinating discovery.

Joe

P.S. Nice to see a real scientist here, as opposed to clowns/dabblers like me. :)

That is also ultra-cool! I'm always a little envious of people with the intellect and dedication to have a proper scientific research career. Astronomy is about as interesting as it gets IMHO, just amazing stuff up there. Lots of it too!
Tony, you're starting to sound like Trump. ;)

Joe, Tony,

Its really just the opportunity to come up with silly names for new things that is the attraction...

cheers,

iain.

Iain,

Its really just the opportunity to come up with silly names for new things that is the attraction...
Were it not for my weakness in mathematics I might have majored in astronomy rather than in the critter sciences. I do, however, possess several honorary doctorates in goofy shit, so I feel I would be an asset in the silly names departmental subgroup, should the need arise.

Joe

It's all rather exciting. Maybe there will be an announcement that Bowie was right:

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

Jack

advertisement

Back