advertisement

NAP 90 versus NAP 160

hollamby

Johnny Blue, my resident audio guru, has now probably had enough of me, so I'm being brave and posting on my own.

I'm hoping that someone out there has owned these two amps before and can help me with a comparison. NAP 90 v NAP 160.

I've had the 90 from new and have just bought the 160. After listening to both, I've come to this conclusion:

1. The 160 has less bass than the 90.
2. The 160 has slightly more treble than the 90.
3.The 160 has slightly less volume than the 90.
4.The 160 has slightly more detail/separation than the 90.

Sound about right or wrong?
To be honest, I was hoping for quite a big improvement on the 90, not a marginal difference.

Neither amps have been serviced, and I don't want to spend money servicing the 160 if, in the end, there's still not going to be much difference between the two.

Many thanks for any replies, Kim

In equal condition the 160 will blow the 90 away any day of the week so get it serviced and then see. There's something definitely wrong with your 160 as they are very fine amps and have always always been better than the 90.

John mentioned that changing the caps would help. Is this something I can order/do myself, if not, any idea what a service would cost and any recommendations on who to carry it out? (can't afford main dealer)

Send me a PM and I'll supply the part numbers from Farnell that will do the job perfectly. Its so easy to do , so dont be put off.

The 160 has great bass, the 90 does not. Something is very wrong with the 160.

IMHO the 160 was one of the very best amps that Naim have made. The 160 should kick sand in the 90's face.

I would get it serviced by someone who knows what they are doing before spending any cash on bits that may not be the cause of the issue you are experiencing...

don't want to spend money servicing the 160 if, in the end, there's still not going to be much difference between the two

Consider a full Naim service, this will make the amp valued, depending on your expenses until now expect anything between £300-500 resale value for a recent Naim serviced 160 amp, avoid the amatheures around if you intend to sell on however some might do a decent job at half price - expect a harder after sale

Can't imagine it should eat a 90 for diner...you may have other error in setup

Hiya

I went from 90 to 160 about 4 months ago. The 160 had been home serviced by a PFM'r and purchased by me. It blows my old 90 away in every category but mainly in bass and authority. Has a much tighter grip on the tune and dose not lose the separation and timing at high volumes that the 90 did. I still have the 90 and it is great in my study but the 160 plays in a different league.

Like previous posts, get it serviced, either by yourself or by one of the several people who will have PM'd you by now!

Cheers

Gareth

^ exactly as I experienced from a 90 to a 160 too, almost word for word, even as it was an unserviced 160 (prob an unserviced 90 too, but the 160 was older).

You could do worse than open and just see if either big blue 160 caps has obvious leakeage (a brown seepage usually from the top ends, or similarly any other obvious colouring to the smaller caps- no need to poke, just look).

The 160 is rubbish, send it to me and I'll see that it's disposed of properly.

In that case the limiting factor is the 92 and could be the reason the 160 isnt making a huge leap forward to the sound. I'd still do a service on it and for £50 in parts its a no brainer. If Naim service it you are looking at over £200. Cant see the value after you service it being £150 less than a Naim serviced 160. I sold an early 160 serviced by myself for £375 ...nuff said really.

Get behind thee Satan.

But just for discussion sake (ha), if the 160 after servicing still doesn't do the business, what would you suggest replacing the 92 with?

Get behind thee Satan.

But just for discussion sake (ha), if the 160 after servicing still doesn't do the business, what would you suggest replacing the 92 with?

A 32.5.

I assume as you've had the 160 open while looking at the wiring issue there was nothing obviously leaking and in need of repair. How about taking a photograph of the internals and posting it?

By the way, I've had naim stuff serviced before and to be honest it didn't seem to make any difference at all to my ears. Maybe the stuff didn't need doing but it certainly cost a canny wedge for not a lot.

32.5 or 42.5 , make sure its got the link plug , otherwise you cant use the 160 internal pre amp power supply

advertisement

Back