advertisement

Name One Socio-Economic Improvement in UK Since 2010

It’s not just earners up to £12K but benefits those who are on low / middle earnings the most as they keep a higher % of their overall earnings i.e. the policy put more cash in the pockets of the majority of people and gave them more spending power for things like houses. In fairness, it was the Lib Dems who pushed it through and the tories stuck with it.

I can tell you from experience that the removal of working tax credits had a far greater (negative) impact that the changes to the tax system for low to middle earners. The policies of the tory governments have unequivocally NOT put more cash into the pockets of the majority of people, and if you believe that they have, you are deluding yourself.

The 'State of the Nation' stuff above is largely waffle.
There are repeated statements to the effect that statistical changes aren't significant.
At least they base much on 'median' incomes, as true average incomes are hugely distorted and misleading. I'd argue that even median figures aren't that helpful in identifying real poverty, just as, for e.g., homelessness figures are very dependent on definitions.
The state of the NHS, Ambulance Service, GP service, lower grade housing stock, public services in general, etc, etc. all point to deeply ingrained long term issues which cannot be "calculated away' by a few overly complex and 'caveated' stats.

Are 'Food Banks' a new way of addressing a previously unidentified need?
Or are they a reaction to a recently emerged need?

I can tell you from experience that the removal of working tax credits had a far greater (negative) impact that the changes to the tax system for low to middle earners. The policies of the tory governments have unequivocally NOT put more cash into the pockets of the majority of people, and if you believe that they have, you are deluding yourself.

I’d suggest housing benefit is one of the biggest reasons why low to middle earners are clobbered. It puts a floor underneath rents and asset capital values as a result. The laws of unintended consequences always rears its head when govts subsidise. We need council houses which are unable to be sold / sub let for people who can’t afford to privately rent. In turn, private rents / asset values would be lower.

Not quite.

listen to a true money expert, former trader:

Yeah, heard his stuff before. The fact remains, give every citizen £100K and many people still wouldn’t be able to afford a house because prices would rise correspondingly.

Yeah, heard his stuff before. The fact remains, give every citizen £100K and many people still wouldn’t be able to afford a house because prices would rise correspondingly.

Your point was everyone has more money in their pocket so they are better off, in part to a higher tax threshold, in turn pushing house prices up.
House prices have been rising due to the top down effect, as in the wealthy have had more capital with which to buy more property and other assets with.

Although I do agree with you assertion that council houses need to be built. Tens of thousands per year, it will allow people to have a secure home and private rents will tumble. I suspect that the buy to let market would shrink rapidly also.

Your point was everyone has more money in their pocket so they are better off, in part to a higher tax threshold, in turn pushing house prices up.
House prices have been rising due to the top down effect, as in the wealthy have had more capital with which to buy more property and other assets with.

Although I do agree with you assertion that council houses need to be built. Tens of thousands per year, it will allow people to have a secure home and private rents will tumble. I suspect that the buy to let market would shrink rapidly also.

Ultimately, if people can’t afford something, they can’t buy it. Houses have risen in value because people had the money (or borrowing capacity) to pay more. Now they don’t and prices are falling. I’d like to see the btl market shrink but will only do so with mass council housing. Trouble is, there are too many vested interests because high house prices win elections. On a micro level, it would be fascinating to know how many property owning pink fish would welcome price falls…

I’d suggest housing benefit is one of the biggest reasons why low to middle earners are clobbered. It puts a floor underneath rents and asset capital values as a result. The laws of unintended consequences always rears its head when govts subsidise. We need council houses which are unable to be sold / sub let for people who can’t afford to privately rent. In turn, private rents / asset values would be lower.

You said previously that low to middle earners were much better off as a result of the tax threshold being raised. Now you say that they’re being clobbered because they’re given housing benefit.

Can you remember whose idea it was to sell off council houses, resulting in the current mess of private landlords charging a fortune for rent?

Ultimately, if people can’t afford something, they can’t buy it

Vested interests....more likely linked to so many politicians being landlords. Being lobbied by the big house building companies too, is maybe a factor.

Vested interests....more likely linked to so many politicians being landlords. Being lobbied by the big house building companies too, is maybe a factor.

Well, the big boys want small / medium landlords smashed. The MP with a btl portfolio is chicken feed.

Ultimately, if people can’t afford something, they can’t buy it. Houses have risen in value because people had the money (or borrowing capacity) to pay more. Now they don’t and prices are falling. I’d like to see the btl market shrink but will only do so with mass council housing. Trouble is, there are too many vested interests because high house prices win elections. On a micro level, it would be fascinating to know how many property owning pink fish would welcome price falls…

Like most of what you post...this is bollox.
House prices are high because wealthy people, many of them foreigners, are allowed to buy UK housng stock as an investment, reducing supply and increasing prices.

Have a heart for struggling landlord portfolios this Christmas. Nothing gives them wood in the morning like a couple of distressed sales. Take the paups’ assets off them then do them a favour by renting them back to them.

This is an only Labour will do thread. Lib Dems pushed a few decent things over the line between 2010 and 2015. Just because the tories have trashed absolutely everything since they have been left alone in power does not mean the Lib Dem contribution now counts for nothing.

Really the title should read since 2015. Or you might as well say since the beginning of time.

This is an only Labour will do thread. Lib Dems pushed a few decent things over the line between 2010 and 2015. Just because the tories have trashed absolutely everything since they have been left alone in power does not mean the Lib Dem contribution now counts for nothing.

Really the title should read since 2015. Or you might as well say since the beginning of time.
On the other hand the Lib Dems propelled them up until they could assume power again. They also went against their own manifesto, I give them no credit whatsoever.

advertisement

Back