advertisement

Naim's new supernait..dac.streamer.thing.

They've given us the NDX so why not just make a 5 series streamer and a 500 series streamer?

They've just announced a 5 series streamer, the ND5XS - about a week before the Superuniti under discussion! An upgradeable (DAC, power supply) streamer/tuner which costs ...er... £1995. That's entry level.

I agree with you absolutely about the confused message - compared to Linn's 3 clear ranges, it looks a mess, but I guess they'd argue that the possibilities are endless in terms of sq & price levels as a result.

Then again, their track record over the last decade of producing complex, multi-tasking digital products which don't in some way go wrong hasn't been great as far as I can tell.

I've listened to Supernait, Uniti, Unitiqute, NDX and DAC, and the only one I liked was the NDX (solo). All the others seemed lacking in various departments.

I'm liking the look of the ND5XS which is also allegedly due this month, but past experience tells me 'October' means 'sometime in the first half of 2012'

.. do you have to add a power supply and a DAC like you do with the NDX? Still, it'll only take one ludicrously expensive Naim mains lead.

Hi,

why do you think you have to add a Dac and a PSU to the NDX? I heard it perform on its own a few times and it sounds wonderful as it is, really.

Max

I don't think the Naim streaming products are confused at all. However, if I had an NDX I'd feel a little disappointed about having to pay for an upgraded streaming board for 24-bit/192kHz operation. It is free for anyone who has bought an NDX in the past three months but those with older models will have to pay around £100. I don't know why the NDX wasn't designed to have this capability from the get go. After all 24-bit/192kHz has been around for a while. NaimUniti and UnitiQute owners will have to pay £250. Once fitted the units will be ready for AirPlay after a firmware upgrade promised for some time in Q1 2012. Thanks!

I don't think it does DAB+. Maybe a firmware upgrade will enable this although that's not possible with the Uniti or Qute. However, I reckon iRadio is better. Thanks!

Over here half the stations are streamed from the wrong timezone with the wrong news bullitins etc

I've heard the SuperUniti a couple of times now and I'd say it was 'nice' sounding, a little soft and without any nasties. I own a Nait XS/CDS3 which I find far more interesting than any SuperUniti/UnitiServe combination. As a side issue I think the SuperNait also to be a soft product, and would take a Nait2, 5i or XS in preference any day, musically far more interesting if a little less controlled.

As a side issue I think the SuperNait also to be a soft product, and would take a Nait2, 5i or XS in preference any day, musically far more interesting if a little less controlled.
I almost began to think I was the only one...

Every now and then I hook up my CB Nait 2 and for pure musical enjoyment I still prefer it to my Nait 5i-2, and I prefer the Nait 5i-2 to a SN!

I once had the chance to try a demo SN, and although I did like/prefered the extra bass/body (had n-Sats then) I found the treble a little too soft, and the mids were even a bit veiled, compared to the 5i-series.

I already figured it would sound the way you described your experience with the SuperUnity Gary,...so I think I'll ust stick to my Nait 5-2 and/or 2 for a while.

btw,...I did read some reviews of the XS, in that is was also a little bit soft sounding. (in a Dutch review they compared the 5i-2, XS and SN, and said that the XS was the smoothest of 'em all.
('lacking the bite of the SN' they said... funny, I wished the SN had a little more bite)

cheers,
Alco

I took a look at my local Linn/naim dealer yesterday and said i was looking for a computer server thingy. Thought they would put me on to the Linns but said the Naims would be suitable. The shop is Nottingham Hi Fi Centre and they were very welcoming and if you are near it is well worth a visit. DO NOT go to the other hi fi shop in Nottingham as they are absolutely useless. I really don't know how they get the business. Unfortunately the NDX was out on demo but they had a Unity. They gave me a listen and i enjoyed the openness and space around instruments. The only thing that was lacking was the bass and weight to the music. They brought in some bigger PMC's to the others which helped, but still was far short of my speakers. I was surprised these cost over 5 grand. We went into the Linn room with the top of the range Kimax i think it is and their gasp £38.000 speakers. Well this was much better. The sound stage just widened an deepened and bass was much more prominent. But you know what the bass still seemed to fall short of mine at home. Well i enjoyed the hour there and plan another proper demo with the NDX taking my old Philips dvd recorder as a comparison. So now you know why i would like to get a decent source for my speakers.

Alco, the Nait XS is not overly smooth at all, plenty of bite in fact, but could be deemed as slightly more laid back compared to a Nait 5i (original), the Italic 5 is also more sweet and laid back compared to the original 5i. Where the XS scores over the 5i is at lower volume where it still maintains it's character, which for me the 5i does not, sounding a little grey and lifeless by comparison until around 9 on the dial where it really excels.

advertisement

Back