advertisement

Naim's new supernait..dac.streamer.thing.

£3250 .. quite a wedge.

..but then a supernait is £2750.

Do Naim fans find these prices reasonable ?

I have to ask, they seem a bit on the expensive side to me.

.. do you have to add a power supply and a DAC like you do with the NDX? Still, it'll only take one ludicrously expensive Naim mains lead.

Tidy solution if you want an all-in one. I can't help wondering whether it will sound particularly good (i.e. for 3K+) or just be carried out on the name. It does have pre-outs and digital outs after all, so Naim aren't claiming it's the dog's danglies.

Looks spiffy, but 80 watts per channel is about 40 more than I need.

Joe

Raj,

40 less clips to clip.
Big ol' horny Tannoys are efficient — about 8% according to the brochure, which works out to a sensitivity of ~100db/watt/metre — so I imagine even 40 watts a side would be clip-proof, unless you're a metalhead.

Joe

Seriously, how many more pointless products are Naim going to produce? If this is based on the Supernait then it will sound dreadful.
The range has just become confusing with no clear message. It's like they're just adding streaming into every product that they already make. Why not keep it simple. They've given us the NDX so why not just make a 5 series streamer and a 500 series streamer?
I have no interest in one box products or pre-amps with streamers and DAC's built in, especially when they sound so poor when compared to other products on the market.
Even my local Naim dealer is getting fed up with these new bits and pieces. He said people are confused as they want to know daft things like, is a Uniti Qute with a DAC better than a HDX with an XPS etc. He also said he struggled to hear the difference between any of the Naim streamers saying that they're all the same underneath. I don't know if that's correct or not? lol.
Personally I'm yet to hear a Naim DAC make anything sound better. It's an awful product. £500 for the Rega makes much more sense.

waaay off topic, but have you tried some fat power amps through the Tannoy's Joe?

I used to run my old Altecs with 80w p/ch valve amps, and I'm using horns still (drive units are 115db, 105db and 99db).. with 100w p/ch on my current amps.

I like the boundless headroom of extra power, even with efficient speakers.

Scoobydoo, it's not for the older Naim fans but more for the younger crowd who have a bit of cash for luxury audio and video setups. IMHO they're doing exactly the right thing; thinking of future market/s.

advertisement

Back