advertisement

"Naimless" - New CD Source Required

linntroika

pfm Member
Hello

After 24 years i now find myself completely Naimless :rolleyes: 2 years ago i ended up Linnless:rolleyes:

All this has happened since i discovered this forum ( And before anyone starts Both of the above still offer fine products)

I guess things changed with the discovery of Shahinian - and although Naim work extremely well -Dynavector is even better

Currently im running L300ii/Hx1.2Mk2 into Arcs (All mogami)

Now to source - sold my Naim Cds3 and do not want to go down Dac/ Streamer route - Have dabbled with Mdac, Weiss202,Linn Akurate(So please no Dac /Streamer inputs )

Im interested in purely CD as this is my preferred choice

I have a budget of around £3K

Possibilities

Rega Isis (S/H)
Densen B440xs -new
?

Thoughts (particularly from Dynavector owners)

Cheers

Brian

Er.... buy your CDS3 back?

But seriously, for the money and in the context of your Dynavector and Shahinian system, it's tough to beat. The trouble is it's a finicky bugger and if the tray is off - either because the pins have blunted or jumped the leaf springs, or the tray is not level (leaf springs need adjustment), or the Burndy is too "tight" then it rather loses that special something and can sound comparatively pedestrian.

I sold my CDS3 and in many ways it was probably a mistake.

You could try an ARC CD7 or CD8. Nice players with a fairly liquid sound. There is also a reimyo on wigwam for sale that is a VERy good player too.

Don't see anything beating an isis though even if you doubled or tripled your budget. The synergy there with DV/shahinian is quite exceptional.

Er.... buy your CDS3 back?

But seriously, for the money and in the context of your Dynavector and Shahinian system, it's tough to beat. The trouble is it's a finicky bugger and if the tray is off - either because the pins have blunted or jumped the leaf springs, or the tray is not level (leaf springs need adjustment), or the Burndy is too "tight" then it rather loses that special something and can sound comparatively pedestrian.

I sold my CDS3 and in many ways it was probably a mistake.

I sold my CDS3 for a Rega Isis (2009 original) and it was definately not a mistake.

I sold my CDS3 for a Rega Isis (2009 original) and it was definately not a mistake.

Exactly. I had the exact same system as OP and the Rega was a better in every respect. Also better to me than the various CD555s that have passed through here over the years.

Yes, its particular presentation was more to my liking and there was far greater synergy, but by all the hifi checklists as well it was irrefutably better ... resolution, timbral accuracy, dyanmics, space, width, depth, air, flow etc.

Why did you get rid of your CDS3?

I posted a thread on Naim v Dynavector - and although the 52/cds3/hx1.2 sounded well , the more i listened to it the more i was impressed by the change the dynavector had made(It took complete control of the Arcs and everything sounded more "alive") . It got me thinking about the L300 and wanted to hear from others that had it

Shahinian dealers "sing" regarding DV and i can understand why . The cds3 was designed for Naim based systems and it is an excellent player

However there are people on this forum that have a lot more experience and knowledge than i do and some in particularly have given me Fabulous advice

So i sold the Cds3 as i felt it suits Naim systems better - Now my challenge is to find a player that gels with my current setup

What im looking for is a player that is detailed ,involving , analogue , creates a wide soundstage and has the abilty for you to loose yourself in the music and forget about the hifi

I posted a thread on Naim v Dynavector - and although the 52/cds3/hx1.2 sounded well , the more i listened to it the more i was impressed by the change the dynavector had made(It took complete control of the Arcs and everything sounded more "alive") . It got me thinking about the L300 and wanted to hear from others that had it

Shahinian dealers "sing" regarding DV and i can understand why . The cds3 was designed for Naim based systems and it is an excellent player

However there are people on this forum that have a lot more experience and knowledge than i do and some in particularly have given me Fabulous advice

So i sold the Cds3 as i felt it suits Naim systems better - Now my challenge is to find a player that gels with my current setup

What im looking for is a player that is detailed ,involving , analogue , creates a wide soundstage and has the abilty for you to loose yourself in the music and forget about the hifi

Bottom line ?

The L300ii/HX1.2 does tone and dimensionality. A CDS3 does not, but then nor does the naim system that its likely plugged into though so it won't matter.

But now you have a system that CAN, you need to get a CD player that can show you all that depth and timbral beautifulness.

The big thing with the Isis that people fail to meniton as well is that unlike the Naim CDS players which present so you you feel like you are seated 3 rows from the front, the Iisis makes you feel like you are ON THE STAGE, with performers behind, in front and to the side of you. It is a completely different presentational style, you feel completely engulfed and awash with the music. This is EXACTLY the same style of the Shahinians and this is one of the principal reasons it has so much synergy.

I'm surprised people gave you the impression the CDS3 was incompatible with your Dynavector/Shahinian combo. The CDS3 was (and maybe still is) used by the Dynavector/Shahinian importer in preference to any other CD player! However, I've heard the Isis and can imagine it working with your system really well too, but I'd want to hear them side by side just to make sure.

Hello

After 24 years i now find myself completely Naimless :rolleyes: 2 years ago i ended up Linnless:rolleyes:

All this has happened since i discovered this forum ( And before anyone starts Both of the above still offer fine products)

I guess things changed with the discovery of Shahinian - and although Naim work extremely well -Dynavector is even better

Currently im running L300/Hx1.2Mk2 into Arcs (All mogami)

Now to source - sold my Naim Cds3 and do not want to go down Dac/ Streamer route - Have dabbled with Mdac, Weiss202,Linn Akurate(So please no Dac /Streamer inputs )

Im interested in purely CD as this is my preferred choice

I have a budget of around £3K

Possibilities

Rega Isis (S/H)
Densen B440xs -new
?

Thoughts (particularly from Dynavector owners)

Cheers

Brian

Because manufactures still advertise their CD players in HIFI magazines, magazines won’t tell you that Digital Streamers out perform CD players due to no moving parts. Cd suffer from error correction and jitter which ultimately affects performance. ( sound )
It’s your choice of course but if you are on the market for a CD player you would be mad not to listen to a digital streamer against the chosen CD player.
Not only will the digital streamer give you full 16bit but also 24 bit studio master recordings which CD can’t and also digital radio through your system.
Another thing to remember is DS is future proof. CD players cannot be taken any further ahead than they all ready are due to error correction and jitter.

Have you had a Akurate DS ? If so what’s put you off ? I’m two years in and not a hint of problem as long as you get the dealer to set up it’s straight forward.

I can't claim to have tried much, but a Tag Mclaren DVD32R (if you can find one that has the mods and is reliable) as a transport into a good DAC seems to me to give good results. Apart from a one solution something that also makes a good fist of sacd, I can't think of anything I'd want to change it for.

I auditioned both the Isis and the Densen 440XS with the power supply (DNRG) and I preferred the Densen. This was with an LX300ii, HX100 and Obelisk system. Listen to both, they are very very good. I have had the player for some time now and I am not changing anything. Listening to Quercus by June Tabor at the moment and it is simply sublime.

another somewhat future proof options is something like the Resolution Audio Cantata, a cd player, dac and streamer all in one.

The only CD players I've ever been convinced by we're Naim, I had an original CDS and have heard a lot via a cheaper cd player owned by a friend (not sure which one..) my Meridians an Arcams never did it for me. I'm now completely stream based, and at present I'm listening to a SBT straight into an EAR890 and a pair of Martin Logan Summits - so a £200 source into £xxx,000 worth of highly revealing kit - it's not perfect, but it beats any CD player I've ever heard, and gives vinyl a run for its money. When My MDAC returns from its holiday, I'm expecting something really special. Cd was never good, streaming is the state of the initial art.

Guess it depends on what trips your trigger sonically. I've got an SBT and it doesn't hold a candle to either my CDS or CDS2. Fortunately, neither CDP reaches out to the Internet and brings in free music so my Touch gets to stay;-)

(...)Digital Streamers out perform CD players due to no moving parts.

I am sorry, but the streamer takes the data from somewhere, and this somewhere is frequently a hard disk, which - unless it's solid state - has moving part to sell...
What's more, any stored file has been taken somewhere, and this somewhere, in the case of 90% of former CD owners, is the CDs themselves which have been ripped to a hard disk, process that has involved an optical drive and a hard disk.

It's difficult to get rid of moving parts.

M.

advertisement

Back