advertisement

Naim?

Cabbaged

Hi guys a noobie here so go gentle haha!

Ok, so i'm in the process of building my first Naim system. I've purchased a Nac 32.5 chrome bumper and also a Hi Cap. When i've sold my current intergrated amp i will then buy the Naim amps.
My current speakers are Audiovector M3 super and are capable of tri amping at 300w.
What i'm thinking, is going with 3x Nap 140's chrome or olive .... Thoughts please guys!

Assuming the 32.5 and hicap are chrome bumper, i'd definitely stick with that look for the power amps you decide to use. If you are thinking of stretching to the money for three 140s, you'll be able to get a 250, or maybe a pair of 135s for similar money, and that would be my preference, as it would be in keeping and would have been top of the line naim equipment at some era.

I wouldn't bother with triamping myself, unless the speakers can be converted to an active crossover, but chances are they will sound great as is, and monoblocks would be my preference to get the best from them.

I think if you are thinking about 3 140s you probably have a budget of £1200 to play with, you won't get 2 135s for that budget. If it was me I'd look for a good unmolested chrome bumper 250 and have it and the 32.5 and Hi-cap serviced. You will then have a very nice cohesive system that will last for many years.

Hi guys a noobie here so go gentle haha!

Ok, so i'm in the process of building my first Naim system. I've purchased a Nac 32.5 chrome bumper and also a Hi Cap. When i've sold my current intergrated amp i will then buy the Naim amps.
My current speakers are Audiovector M3 super and are capable of tri amping at 300w.
What i'm thinking, is going with 3x Nap 140's chrome or olive .... Thoughts please guys!

I wouldn't take much notice of the 300w rating
Probably makers maximum recommended
A Nap 140 is 70+70w =140w in 4 to 6 ohm
If you run any low power poweramp too high, it will clip and risk damaging tweeters etc

Triamping will avoid using the crap triwire links usually degrading performance on these speakers
Tbh I would just get one Naim poweramp and try result, IME biamp or triamp is more hifi than improvements, active crossover usually is the way to go when you have reached Nap 135 or 500 level, which require a topnotch source (and probably better speakers)

Your preamp/psu are fine but chrome bumper were made in the eighties sure they need a service by now if never done

The 32.5 and hicap are both chrome bumper ... I will get them serviced at least

From the comments above it seems the chrome bumper 250 is the way forward. Must admit i liked the idea of 3 amps
Once i have the 250 could this be expanded or would you just leave has is?
One of the reasons for going towards the Naim is that i dont particularly play the music loud, it's not worth falling out with my Neighbour and i'm more towards defination and clarity .... If a pin drops in the background of the recording i want to be able to hear it lol

The 32.5 and hicap are both chrome bumper ... I will get them serviced at least

From the comments above it seems the chrome bumper 250 is the way forward. Must admit i liked the idea of 3 amps
Once i have the 250 could this be expanded or would you just leave has is?
One of the reasons for going towards the Naim is that i dont particularly play the music loud, it's not worth falling out with my Neighbour and i'm more towards defination and clarity .... If a pin drops in the background of the recording i want to be able to hear it lol

I am a Naim fan, but what I would say is that Naim gear of that and the olive vintage does have a certain sound. Some like, some don't It's very much about personal taste. It's quite a powerful and forceful presentation which will help the low volume situation, but if you've not lived with Naim gear before then you need to find out if it's for you. Thing is if you get a good 250 (or 160) you won't lose money on any of your Naim boxes so try it and see.

I would not bother bi or tri amping personally, but that is up to you. As said I would try a good Naim 250 or 160, get them all serviced and enjoy... if you don't like them move them on as you'll get the money outlaid back easily enough.

Having had several cb 250s in the past I always preferred the sound of a 160. More dynamic/less constrained sounding.

IME exactly as above - if interested I actually have a good example for sale in the classifieds

you, of course, can have your opinion, just like me - but I owned 250s, both CB and Olive, and I know what I'm talking about based on personal experience, and regardless of me having a 160 for sale

you, of course, can have your opinion, just like me - but I owned 250s, both CB and Olive, and I know what I'm talking about based on personal experience, and regardless of me having a 160 for sale

Hey sorry, I was only having a bit of a laugh with you. I've owned both myself and a 140 ... imo the 250 is the better amp, but that's just my opinion. All I would say to the OP is the 250 is more likely to resell easily and that is fact as it's one of Naim's iconic products rightly or wrongly.

Hey sorry, I was only having a bit of a laugh with you. I've owned both myself and a 140 ... imo the 250 is the better amp, but that's just my opinion. All I would say to the OP is the 250 is more likely to resell easily and that is fact as it's one of Naim's iconic products rightly or wrongly.
This is very correct

Another issue I don't see mentioned yet is the SNAXO triamp crossover (you wouldn't want to feed a full range signal into your tweeters). I've no idea if these would mate with your speakers' drivers(?) A NAP250 definitely sounds like the way to go.

advertisement

Back