advertisement

Naim user looking into Exposure

I sold the last of my Naim kit in 2016.
I've had a 3010S2 system since 2017 and use the Dynaudio Contours I bought in 2002. May change....
I'm also looking at the ATC CD2 as it's been mentioned - not the CDA2, as I like the 3010S2 preamp. I had problems with the XM CD player, best not to get into detail, don't want to upset anyone but they need to sort it out.
the cd2 looks pretty good for the money . Let us know how you get on .wouldn't mind trying one too .

the cd2 looks pretty good for the money . Let us know how you get on .wouldn't mind trying one too .
I've just bought it, don't want to tempt fate after my recent experience but it sounds superb and works like a dream. Also, it reminds me of the 2/3 width players from Quad and Meridian of the 80s/90s.

Hi!
My way Naim/Exposure:
Exposure 3010s2 int+Neat Elite3=>Exposure 3010s2 int+Exposure 3010s2 stereopower+Neat Elite3=>Naim Superuniti+Neat Elite3(=>Neat Momentum=>Neat MFS)=>Exposure VII+Exposure VIII (2xmono)=>Exposure XII+Exposure IVDnR=>Exposure XIV+Exposure IX+Exposure IVDR+Neat MFS
And each next step was better than the previous
BTW And now I am looking for D-class amplification for my Neat MFS. May be it wrong way, but...I want to try)
May be it helps)

I have owned a couple of Neat speakers in the past and I can say that the Ekstras (and presumably the Orkestra and others in that series) are significantly better than any other Neat speaker I have heard. I actually went to buy to Neat Ultimatum XLS but found them quite bright and fatiguing, and (unusually) preferred the less expensive Ekstra, which sound perfect in a small room. They have the midrange richness of speakers like the Harbeth M30.2 and Graham LS5/9 or LS6, but with less cabinet colouration and a deeper, tighter bass. Well worth considering.

Hi Ross!
What Neat speakers did you have before? With what did you compare Ekstras?
Thank you!

Hi!
My way Naim/Exposure:
Exposure 3010s2 int+Neat Elite3=>Exposure 3010s2 int+Exposure 3010s2 stereopower+Neat Elite3=>Naim Superuniti+Neat Elite3(=>Neat Momentum=>Neat MFS)=>Exposure VII+Exposure VIII (2xmono)=>Exposure XII+Exposure IVDnR=>Exposure XIV+Exposure IX+Exposure IVDR+Neat MFS
BTW And now I am looking for D-class amplification for my Neat MFS. May be it wrong way, but...I want to try)
May be it helps)

Going from Exposure/Naim to Class D :eek:

While I was interested in Mycetias amps, I reminded myself of the few Class D amps I've heard during years back, they were sort of grey, uninvolving or synthetic, a bit like an old Audiolab 8000A with more power.
Maybe they have solved some issues by now.

Hi!
My way Naim/Exposure:
May be it helps)
I'm always amazed by the performance of the Exposure 4, regulated or not. Mine is unregulated and simply can’t find anything similar on the market.

Hi Ross!
What Neat speakers did you have before? With what did you compare Ekstras?
Thank you!

I previously had the Elites a very long time ago, and then a few years ago I had the more recent version. In both cases I found them a bit thin sounding, and the ribbon tweeter a bit tizzy. The Ekstras are very different - they have the tonal depth of a BBC monitor but with less cabinet coloration, the ribbon tweeter is sweet sounding and fast, and for a speaker of this size they have deep, tight bass with no overhang or boom. They work really well in nearfield in a small room.

They were compared with my previous Graham LS6, LS5/9 and LS3/5, the Harbeth 30.1 and 30.2, as well as Dynaudio C1 and Confidence 20, and Sopra 1. I was planning to listen to more speakers but found the Ekstras were ideal for my room and have stopped there. I am still interested in hearing the Vivid Kaya 25 or 45 and really like the Wilson SabrinaX as well, but these are a league above the Neats.

I’ve been very happy with exposure 5010 pre and 3010 mono combination with Harbeth 30.1 for over a year now. I had a Nait5 for many years before which also was perfectly satisfactory but when changing found exposure just played music the way I wanted and in a way that most resembled what I experience in live environment. Naturalistic for want of a better word.
Not to hijack thread but as sources have been mentioned earlier, my only dilemma is replacing an ancient and temperamental Naim CD player. Digital represents only 20% or less of my listening but it’s an important 20%. No need for, or interest in, streaming services but bandcamp downloads and ability to play CDs is essential.

I previously had the Elites a very long time ago, and then a few years ago I had the more recent version. In both cases I found them a bit thin sounding, and the ribbon tweeter a bit tizzy. The Ekstras are very different - they have the tonal depth of a BBC monitor but with less cabinet coloration, the ribbon tweeter is sweet sounding and fast, and for a speaker of this size they have deep, tight bass with no overhang or boom. They work really well in nearfield in a small room.

They were compared with my previous Graham LS6, LS5/9 and LS3/5, the Harbeth 30.1 and 30.2, as well as Dynaudio C1 and Confidence 20, and Sopra 1. I was planning to listen to more speakers but found the Ekstras were ideal for my room and have stopped there. I am still interested in hearing the Vivid Kaya 25 or 45 and really like the Wilson SabrinaX as well, but these are a league above the Neats.

I was considering a change and trying out a bigger monitor type speaker opposed to the standard slim floor standing type. I think Exposure demoed the 5010 with a Spendor classic model, although could be wrong.
Problem I find is none of the large stand mount speakers ever seem to come in just a black ash or gloss finish. Tend always to be darker veneers that don’t go at all with my living room.

Going to have a look out for a pair of Ekstras though.

advertisement

Back