advertisement

Naim user looking into Exposure

yes the cd player looks good . not bad value at 1750 . looks good too . are they silent running ?

https://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/atc-cd2.html
Yep, CDA2 is combined pre-amp/CD/Dac. Think they retail at around £3k, Innuos Zen Mini is around £1100. I’ve only recently added the Zen so have options to play CDs & burn them to hard drive.

The power supply noise started to bug me once I switched to active speakers, not sure why.

I’ve used Kef Ref 3.2, 104/2, Royd Abbots, Linn Kabers, Heed Enigma, Naim ibl’s and Naim SBL’s.. All with good results. Would like to listen to some Neats and Kudos as I think they would work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve got the 5010 preamp the now and using it with my old 2010s power amp. Couldn’t decide if it was worth getting the 5010 monos as my listening room is quite small and not sure I really need 200 wpc in there, so maybe the 3010 power amps would suffice.

I currently have Neat Motive 1s and again can’t decide to just upgrade them to other Neats or go for something totally different.

Let us know what you think of the 5010 pre. I’m using 3010 pre and mono power amps and may upgrade next year.
Thanks
Anyone using internal phono or dac in their preamps. I have a mc phono board unused as still need to get a cartridge for the turntable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve got the 5010 preamp the now and using it with my old 2010s power amp. Couldn’t decide if it was worth getting the 5010 monos as my listening room is quite small and not sure I really need 200 wpc in there, so maybe the 3010 power amps would suffice.

I currently have Neat Motive 1s and again can’t decide to just upgrade them to other Neats or go for something totally different.

With the 5010 amps it is not just the additional power. I also have a small room, and have owned the 3010 pre and power amp. The 5010 monos are a major step above the 3010, even if you don't need the additional power.

I have owned a couple of Neat speakers in the past and I can say that the Ekstras (and presumably the Orkestra and others in that series) are significantly better than any other Neat speaker I have heard. I actually went to buy to Neat Ultimatum XLS but found them quite bright and fatiguing, and (unusually) preferred the less expensive Ekstra, which sound perfect in a small room. They have the midrange richness of speakers like the Harbeth M30.2 and Graham LS5/9 or LS6, but with less cabinet colouration and a deeper, tighter bass. Well worth considering.

I bought a CDX2 some years back and still have it in reserve in its box. Really I ought to sell it… It was good in its day but the world of digital replay has moved on a lot. Like others here I suggest replacing this first. I’m very happy with a Chord DAC although the setup I have (Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler) will probably be outside your budget. A CD transport and streamer connected to the DAC will give you additional source options. Actually I think the best bang for the buck is taking out a Tidal subscription and getting access to a vast catalogue of new music.
Yes you really should sell it! I had one that was 3-4 years old go into temp. controlled storage for about 12 years. It lasted 2 months when it came out before the laser packed up. Unrepairable. Sold it for parts on the bay for $350.

I am thinking about an Exposure 5010 system, does anyone have experience of moving from Naim (in my case NAP300DR) to the 5010?
I'm fed up with the Naim, preamp/PSU/cabling/pile of boxes malarkey.

For the folk who've had the 3010s and 5010 systems what speakers were you using with it?
I sold the last of my Naim kit in 2016.
I've had a 3010S2 system since 2017 and use the Dynaudio Contours I bought in 2002. May change....
I'm also looking at the ATC CD2 as it's been mentioned - not the CDA2, as I like the 3010S2 preamp. I had problems with the XM CD player, best not to get into detail, don't want to upset anyone but they need to sort it out.

I've had a 3010S2 system since 2017 and use the Dynaudio Contours I bought in 2002. May change....
I'm also looking at the ATC CD2 as it's been mentioned - not the CDA2, as I like the 3010S2 preamp. I had problems with the XM CD player, best not to get into detail, don't want to upset anyone but they need to sort it out.

I was for giving the Exposure CD players a miss when I upgrade, ideally looking for something that I can connect other devices to like the Rega Saturn R.
I had Dynaudio Focus speakers years ago and found they needed a fair bit of power to get them going.

Yes to my ears they give a pleasing sound. Like many speakers they come into their own with more volume, and are not sound well rounded at low volumes. A sub can also be beneficial if deep bass is your thing. They are located in an odd shaped open plan ground floor which isn’t great for acoustics so they would be even better in a normal shaped room.

I used to have iterations of PMC speakers but their price has got totally out of proportion and define for me the concept of diminishing returns. I’d love another pair of 26s but at over £9k that’s a joke. Ex-dem for me has been a good way to buy HiFi stuff more cheaply. ATCs seem to need a lot of oomph from the amp.

What exactly was the problem with XM Player?

advertisement

Back