advertisement

Naim Superline - wind noise

Easier to get another phono stage, plenty of decent options out there so why put up with it?

Superline, Supercap to power it and allied Burndys etc? Easy to change horses? I think not, psychologically, when you get to that level. However, as I found out when I got a valved pre. with onboard stages after the 552, the Superline is not the bees' knees, though in all fairness, the EAR pre. itself had a lot to do with the vast improvement in vinyl transcription.

Have to say that I found the Superline a p.i.t.a. to change arm leads; not the most practical of stages.

Superline, Supercap to power it and allied Burndys etc? Easy to change horses? I think not, psychologically, when you get to that level. However, as I found out when I got a valved pre. with onboard stages after the 552, the Superline is not the bees' knees, though in all fairness, the EAR pre. itself had a lot to do with the vast improvement in vinyl transcription.

Have to say that I found the Superline a p.i.t.a. to change arm leads; not the most practical of stages.
I made a similar jump myself recently (away from a multibox naim system) & I appreciate what you are saying about how you become attached to certain gear. In this instance I just think it is a pretty easy decision, lots of options out there which can be plugged into an existing input. Supercap is easy to sell but don't think he is powering his this way?

Supercap is easy to sell but don't think he is powering his this way?

According to post 12 (not the original poster who used a 52 power out) he does use a Supercap, which is about as far as you can (or would want to) go with the Superline. The problem with changing horses, Woodface, is knowing what the outcome will be, esp. if keeping Naim amplification. Luckily for me, I chopped out my 552 and Superline and Headline etc (another eureka moment) at the same time, removing a satisfactory count of black boxes!

Anyway, a fault of some description needs primary attention; changing the phono stage is an entirely different kettle of fish, demanding compatibility, product and connectivity research. Valves or s/s? Black and white decisions at that level don't exist, i.m.o.

According to post 12 (not the original poster who used a 52 power out) he does use a Supercap, which is about as far as you can (or would want to) go with the Superline. The problem with changing horses, Woodface, is knowing what the outcome will be, esp. if keeping Naim amplification. Luckily for me, I chopped out my 552 and Superline and Headline etc (another eureka moment) at the same time, removing a satisfactory count of black boxes!

Anyway, a fault of some description needs primary attention; changing the phono stage is an entirely different kettle of fish, demanding compatibility, product and connectivity research. Valves or s/s? Black and white decisions at that level don't exist, i.m.o.
My point is that it is really easy to try another phono stage, he may prefer it. Lots of choice out there.

My point is that it is really easy to try another phono stage,

I think we're coming from different directions. You from buying new and sampling dealers' wares (and prob. limited to one with his selection if you're taking them home) and me from buying used, by research, repute etc. I don't consider either 'easy' (quite a hassle, in fact) but the first option has less risk if depreciation is not a concern.

I also had the wind noise from the right speaker on my 2008 Superline. I have just received it back from Naim servicing where a new circuit board has been fitted, so, pretty much a new unit. The cost was £330 - a bargain. Sounds excellent.

I think we're coming from different directions. You from buying new and sampling dealers' wares (and prob. limited to one with his selection if you're taking them home) and me from buying used, by research, repute etc. I don't consider either 'easy' (quite a hassle, in fact) but the first option has less risk if depreciation is not a concern.
Mm, maybe. Ultimately if his phono stage is emitting strange noises then it needs sorting. I personally would try something else rather than messing around. Each to their own.

Most of my naim kit was sold on this very channel & I used the proceeds to change the front end of my system. Been there done that etc.

The Superline is very susceptible to electrical interference (as I found out; my Dais's motor was the instigator in this instance; took a couple of years to realise the S/l's ultra sensitivity to this and RFI).

The bit that is always difficult to divine is why it's happened if nothing else has changed. Move the S/l as far from the deck as poss., but if you've done the usual processes of elimination and earthing options, I'm also baffled. You haven't said if the channel stays static when you transpose phono lead RCAs but I guess it does, so it's not the arm. Do cap. plugs make any difference? They shouldn't, unless it's RFI. Also, is the noise amplified or constant wherever the vol. control is?

Jez's suggestion is a possibility (welcome back Jez!) but component failure is not common in Naim generally or Superlines specifically. If all else fails, there are cheaper yet equally good options for repair than Naim; either Naim 'agent' Class A (?) or Whichhat (Mark Tucker, ex Naim).

The noise follow the level of the volume control. The plugs doesn't make any difference. Unplugging LP12 makes no difference. Earth control made.

Earth control made.

You mean 'contact', I guess. If you've tried other inputs on the pre, tried other earthing points and this is limited to one channel AND this happened without precedent (i.e. suddenly from last use) and with no move/change in position or componentry AND you've switched channels to eliminate the cart/arm AND you've eliminated the S/cap, I have to conclude that there is an internal fault.

Next step is to speak to a Naim technician or another Naim-oriented one (Whichhat, e.g., or Class A (Darren))

But Naim will replace the main board for £330 - effectively a brand new Superline. Mine is now delivering an astonishing listening experience.

You mean 'contact', I guess. If you've tried other inputs on the pre, tried other earthing points and this is limited to one channel AND this happened without precedent (i.e. suddenly from last use) and with no move/change in position or componentry AND you've switched channels to eliminate the cart/arm AND you've eliminated the S/cap, I have to conclude that there is an internal fault.

Next step is to speak to a Naim technician or another Naim-oriented one (Whichhat, e.g., or Class A (Darren))

Yes everything above is made and now...the channel is dead
Class A don't take orders outside UK until July so next stop Naim.

Thanks everybody for useful input

advertisement

Back