advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

That's not the point. What you do is play records at the wrong speed, the Beatles become Pinky & Perky. Gives you a whole new record collection.
But what happens when you play Pinky and Perky at 16?
R-6045146-1438234204-4930.jpeg.jpg

We're going way off subject here, but a lot of records don't state which speed they are meant to be played at & with electronic music, there is no point of reference to guide you, hence why John Peel often got it wrong on occasions. Quite often, I'll check on Discogs & maybe even play one of the videos just to make sure, but in case anybody is taking this too seriously, 33 & 45 is sufficient!

We're going way off subject here, but a lot of records don't state which speed they are meant to be played at & with electronic music, there is no point of reference to guide you, hence why John Peel often got it wrong on occasions.

There are a fair few records where the speed even varies side to side, e.g. Aphex Twin’s Drukqs, which really should come with an instruction manual. I suspect I’ve not played it at the correct speed yet. The recent Sarathay Korwar direct cut 2xLP threw me too as the last side is 45rpm. That’s a great sounding record, as is everything on Nightdreamer. The first 2xLP Classic Records Kind Of Blue has side 4 at 45 too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've got a couple of Faust white labels for which I've never been able to work out which speed is the right one.

That's not the point. What you do is play records at the wrong speed, the Beatles become Pinky & Perky. Gives you a whole new record collection.

Yes, my brother and I really enjoyed doing that when we were kids, playing the few awful records my parents owned at incorrect speeds on the 'gramophone' which was a teak sideboard with a record player, a radio and one oval/oblong speaker. I remember 33,45,and 78 settings but don't recall a 16.

99% of my records are 33 1/3 , I have a few 45s, but mostly Lps cut at 45 and only a handful of 12" singles.

There are a fair few records where the speed even varies side to side, e.g. Aphex Twin’s Drukqs, which really should come with an instruction manual. I suspect I’ve not played it at the correct speed yet. The recent Sarathay Korwar direct cut 2xLP threw me too as the last side is 45rpm. That’s a great sounding record, as is everything on Nightdreamer. The first 2xLP Classic Records Kind Of Blue has side 4 at 45 too.

Is it asking too much though, for the plant to print 33 or 45 on the label (hint, I can feel a new thread coming on)?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is it asking too much though, for the plant to print 33 or 45 on the label (hint, I can feel a new thread coming on)?

It is down to the label designer/artist, and it annoys me how few do given it is far from set in stone that an ‘album’ is 33 and a ‘single’ is 45. It took me a bit of time to figure out what speed to play the new RSD Nubya Garcia remix 12” at as that’s another one (it’s 45).

Lot's of references to state of the art record decks here. Actually, I want all of them!!! And all LP's ever made to play on them.

Do LP12/Aro users typically use the plinth as a resting place when cueing the tonearm? The tall platter on the Naim turntable would make manual cueing a challenge if a resting place to steady the hand was necessary.

naim-solstice-turntable-5.jpg

Do LP12/Aro users typically use the plinth as a resting place when cueing the tonearm? The tall platter on the Naim turntable would make manual cueing a challenge if a resting place to steady the hand was necessary.

naim-solstice-turntable-5.jpg

Why would a resting place for the hand be necessary to cue a tonearm?

advertisement

Back