advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Naim_Solstice_3_2048x2048.jpg

Wonder if those are leveling feet. It appears that the Naim logo lights up and has different brightness settings, important to a full Naim user, I’m sure.

Is it me, my OCD, or is that felt mat not flat and level? It seems to be sticking up at the back edge. You would think they would get it just right for the photo-shoot!

That one appears to be missing the connection for the phono stage.

I was wondering about that too. Could the signalling be run through the Bundy Socket?

I wonder if it does the oddball ‘go through the PSU wiring’ thing that a lot of Naim routing does. How did the Prefix work? It may well get to line-level within the plinth.

I think Clare from Naim said (on the Naim forum) the arm cable simply exits the TT chassis and connects to the phono stage directly. I'd offer to search the almost 1000 post thread on that forum, but just don't have the stomach for it . . .

So it does explicitly say "Solstice Series Turntable" on the back. I guess that practically (but not officially) confirms that we can expect to see more.

I think Clare from Naim said (on the Naim forum) the arm cable simply exits the TT chassis and connects to the phono stage directly. I'd offer to search the almost 1000 post thread on that forum, but just don't have the stomach for it . . .

Yes, she did: "Cable direct from tonearm, out of the underside of the deck, into the phono stage. Burndy is for power." (post 237 or thereabouts)

John,

It appears that the Naim logo lights up and has different brightness settings, important to a full Naim user, I’m sure.

It's a shame the switch doesn't have a setting for "illuminate original logo," as I'd pay for that.

2020-10-04-naim_audio_nait_2.jpg

This isn't a dig at Naim. I like the old logo (and the bumper).

Joe

We're going way off subject here, but a lot of records don't state which speed they are meant to be played at & with electronic music, there is no point of reference to guide you, hence why John Peel often got it wrong on occasions. Quite often, I'll check on Discogs & maybe even play one of the videos just to make sure, but in case anybody is taking this too seriously, 33 & 45 is sufficient!

A mate played a Cocteau Twins album at the wrong speed for months (years?) before realizing it was at the wrong speed (likely playing at 33 when it was cut at 45). After a while at the 'correct' speed, he concluded he preferred it at the wrong speed ;)

Do LP12/Aro users typically use the plinth as a resting place when cueing the tonearm? The tall platter on the Naim turntable would make manual cueing a challenge if a resting place to steady the hand was necessary.

naim-solstice-turntable-5.jpg
I certainly do exactly that on my SME30. Platter depth is just so that my little finger rests on the subchassis top as I cue up. The Naim platter is WAY taller...

A mate played a Cocteau Twins album at the wrong speed for months (years?) before realizing it was at the wrong speed (likely playing at 33 when it was cut at 45). After a while at the 'correct' speed, he concluded he preferred it at the wrong speed ;)

I did the same thing with Husker Du's Metal Circus. Even at 33 the guitar playing sounded fast.

It didn't take long for someone on the Naim forum to start whining that the Solstice "only" comes with a Powerline Lite and not a Powerline. Sheesh.

So it does explicitly say "Solstice Series Turntable" on the back. I guess that practically (but not officially) confirms that we can expect to see more.

I pretty much agree

Naim will provide mega seller or mega profit items only.
And there's a lot options for various Solstice editions, - the new half width boxes being the next range of phono stages, power supply units, mono-poweramps etc etc..

Can't keep thinking, will they dare to move some of these boxes to China manufacture.?

I pretty much agree

Naim will provide mega seller or mega profit items only.
And there's a lot options for various Solstice editions, - the new half width boxes being the next range of phono stages, power supply units, mono-poweramps etc etc..

Can't keep thinking, will they dare to move some of these boxes to China manufacture.?

Re moving to China - won't Naim have to in order to remain competitive price-wise? Linn started from a machining company, so I don't think Linn has the same (financial) issue.

John,

It's a shame the switch doesn't have a setting for "illuminate original logo," as I'd pay for that.

2020-10-04-naim_audio_nait_2.jpg

This isn't a dig at Naim. I like the old logo (and the bumper).

Joe
I'd settle for a green option! I never did get the move to white...

Can't wait to read the reviews extolling how bloody good it is and how it's going to revitalise vinyl in a way that no record player has done before and how we should all own one.

No doubt already planning a second limited issue version with some tweaks to the 'test' deck.

Not for me I'm as I think it's fugly, but obviously plenty like it so they must have done something right although making anything 'Limited' these days seems to create such a media hype that they sell no matter how they look or sound.

I wonder how many of the 500 sales are to music fans?

I don’t believe a word that all units have been sold. I’ve been in the industry since the 1980s and have represented a lot of turntable brands and that statement is BS.
I bet they've just gone to dealers and not really 'sold'

120 units coming to the UK

I posted a Naim response to the construction upthread somewhere. It is 47 layers thick and sounds pretty solid.

I read on the Naim forum that it is wood sandwiched with aluminum and steel. The unusual cutout forms a spring for the platter.

advertisement

Back